Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Whenever I delete the desktop files, synergy disappears

TaxExempt

I am using Synergy between a Windows 7 PC and a MacMini. When I downloaded Synergy onto my Windows machine, I ran the installer, and then deleted the installer file, completely logical.

When I download the installer (what is a .dmg file?) it does this strange "mounting" thing, like a "disk" file. It's stuck on my desktop, and I cannot delete it. 

All I want to do is install Synergy onto my mac, and delete the junk files on my desktop. If I delete it, Synergy disappears.

I am new to macs so please bear with me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2017 at 6:23 PM, TaxExempt said:

I am using Synergy between a Windows 7 PC and a MacMini. When I downloaded Synergy onto my Windows machine, I ran the installer, and then deleted the installer file, completely logical.

When I download the installer (what is a .dmg file?) it does this strange "mounting" thing, like a "disk" file. It's stuck on my desktop, and I cannot delete it. 

All I want to do is install Synergy onto my mac, and delete the junk files on my desktop. If I delete it, Synergy disappears.

I am new to macs so please bear with me.

DMG is the Disk iMaGe used to house the installer - think of it like a virtual disc drive and CD.

"Mounting" is actually a generic term for making a drive available to the OS. It happens every time you boot your PC or plug in a USB stick.

The instruction for the install on a Mac says to drag the "installer" into your Applications folder and then run from there.
The disk image won't unmount until the install has finished properly.

I'm also very new to the Mac ecosystem, so I can understand the confusions.. 

Edited by Rirawen