Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Version not supported

GranPaSmurf

Kudos to you both for your involvement and expertise. 

Yep, I am being dis-combobulated by this glitch, but I only have myself to blame. I understand what it is to try a beta version of any software. And I understand myself well enough to know that I jump off into the unknown way too quickly. As I said earlier, I am bouncing between 2 machines, instead of my usual 4. I am using 2 keyboards and a couple of meeeeceeses. I have had to postpone development on a client blog site because I just plain need to flip back and forth to get 'er done. Today I am greatly hobbled on weekly updates to our major site where I usually use at lease 3 machines and my cell phone to double check changes real-time.

But it's all on me. I have NO EXPECTATIONS of the developers when they designate something as Beta. It just adds to the fun of my day.20170715_063447.thumb.jpg.f2cc0ce488c2c267ec135a98e4529657.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cristián

• cguerra

• Archleone

• James Gray

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm really sorry for the late reply on this everyone. The whole team is aware of the problem now. Our developers are on the move and confirmed that it'll be fixed tomorrow. Please bear with us on this

Seriously, I think I'd love a cup of whatever you're drinking because it sounds as though it's pretty powerful. But for those of us who cannot resort to such elixirs, this situation is inexplicab

The promise was not that it would work perfectly, but that it would work. Otherwise, offer the beta version for free

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, Sean said:

Seriously, I think I'd love a cup of whatever you're drinking because it sounds as though it's pretty powerful.

But for those of us who cannot resort to such elixirs, this situation is inexplicable.  As someone who has been in software development for three decades, I cannot imagine either putting out a piece of software just prior to having no one manning the response queues for a couple of days, or worse still, releasing a piece of software with an internal expiration at some point in the past and not putting out a subsequent release within that time frame.

Looking at the response in this thread to my original post, I think it's fair to say that everyone has been more than generous, but that does not take away from the fact that a number of people who have been using the software have been both inconvenienced by what's effectively been 36+ hours of downtime and annoyed by the lack of response throughout most of that time.

I only use the software at home, and for me the inconvenience consists of having to move my hands from a keyboard to a laptop, so no blood no foul.  But please, do fall back on best practices, particularly with respect to only pushing out changes when you have support staff and developers to handle the response.

Anyone who is going to have downtime from bugs in Synergy shouldn't be testing the beta version. They should stick with version 1 and wait for the final release.

You should always expect minor issues with Beta software. They let you know it's a pre-release and may contain bugs before you download it.

Thanks to the developers for their response. I'm looking forward to try it out tomorrow.

30 minutes ago, cguerra said:

Haha, hotlinking does not work :). Maybe try to attach the files to your message :D. 

<Error>
<Code>NoSuchKey</Code>
<Message>The specified key does not exist.</Message>
<Key>
v2.0-beta2-take2/Synergy_v2.0.0-beta2_b639-520c9118.dmg
</Key>
<RequestId>76FD52FD7D2CA246</RequestId>
<HostId>
i8FXdITN8x6HISTgyV7UObCxyVfmE1j6GzF/vxUP/wF1BgPyg3FvrnPrBqELn7ThheR15+c9AGU=
</HostId>
</Error>

• Like 1

I am developer, too - and I know what betas are, and I even know what means "minor bugs" - but if i try a beta and it works (for - let's say - a few hours) without problems, then I try in production again - still no bugs. Then I think i figured out it works for my use case! If some hotkey would not be working - i would say - oh ok no problem, but, hey guys, it's a TIMEOUT!!!! That has NOTHING to do with a beta - it is not "not working like expected" because bugs it is a be-to-be-broken-piece, i stuck a few years with symless and i paid my 5 bucks - that's not much - but when I promise: "you get the beta and the release" I expect it to have no timeout!!!!!

Btw: the links do not work for me - posted 15 mins ago!? I tried to figure out my own links (e.g. by replacing things like the last part of the link), but did not work either! Fix it! ASAP!! Otherwise I think you will loose clients and anyone who changed and is disappointed will say to any friends: don't even buy them - they are no good developers!

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Richard said:

Anyone who is going to have downtime from bugs in Synergy shouldn't be testing the beta version. They should stick with version 1 and wait for the final release.

You should always expect minor issues with Beta software.

Issues are expected from beta software.  A failure to respond to scores of complaints on their forums over a day and a half is tragic.

Not my day...this has discombobulated me....,my last attempt at this (copy and paste URLs to browser - these are the beta3 btw.....), I was unable to attach files (Accepted file types gif, jpeg, jpe, jpg, png), unless I change the extensions....too much work:

https://binaries.symless.com/v2.0-beta3/Synergy_2.0.0.beta3~b542%2B489f59a6_amd64.deb

https://binaries.symless.com/v2.0-beta3/Synergy_v2.0.0-beta3_b658-489f59a6.dmg

https://binaries.symless.com/v2.0-beta3/Synergy-2.0.0-569.beta3.489f59a6.el7.centos.x86_64.rpm

https://binaries.symless.com/v2.0-beta3/Synergy_v2.0.0-beta3_b737-489f59a6.msi

20 minutes ago, Sean said:

Issues are expected from beta software.  A failure to respond to scores of complaints on their forums over a day and a half is tragic.

No it's not. It's a beta, it's not a critical piece of software for anybody that runs a beta and it was a weekend. If I were Nick, I would refund all the moaners their 5$ and show them the door. Ask them to pay upgrade price when the software is completed.

That being said, beta 3 works again and I'm happy. Thanks for the workarounds, folks!

Edited by quad_bx
  • Like 1

Beta or not, just be careful because stuff like this can wind up in production.

Anyway, the workaround is fine, and I'll be posting my suggestions and issues soon. Thanks for the help, you wonderful people, you!

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
On 7/31/2017 at 10:32 AM, Archleone said:

Thanks for the awesome software Nick if you're reading any of this! 

❤️

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Hey everyone, really sorry for... the late reply, the downtime and the "version not supported" message. What a colossal mess this week has been!

The late reply was due to 1000% more posts recently. The downtime was due to scalability issues on the new cloud config server (which @Andrew Nelless is frantically fixing right now). And the version not supported message was down to poor anticipation on my part (we quickly fixed this in beta3 so it'll never happen again).

Anyway, how awesome is this setup?!

On 7/31/2017 at 4:59 PM, KringleKrebs said:

20170715_063447.thumb.jpg.f2cc0ce488c2c267ec135a98e4529657.jpg

• Like 1