Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Win 10 2.0.0-beta3 Runs Server Only

old iswork

After successfully building Synergy from the github v2.0 branch and running as server under Fedora 26, I am attempting to connect as client from Win 10.

The easiest way to do that, I thought, was to download the v2 Beta app, install and launch.  The install comes off without a hitch but when I launch (Synergy 2.0.0-beta3), I see only a single featureless window, no menus or controls other than a rectangle with the name of my single screen in the center.  All I seem to be able to do is check the log which shows I'm running in server mode, not client as I'd like. 

By comparison, the window from the Fedora version shows a set of menus, plus options for running in client and server modes.  Quite a difference which makes me think something is wrong with the windows install.

One other piece of information that might help is that if I run Win 10 synergyc.exe from the command line I can connect as client without any trouble so the capability is there.  I'd prefer to do it via the app though which seems like very basic stuff. 

Any thoughts on where I might have gone wrong? Things that come to mind:

• Version mismatch? Win 10 client shows 2.0.0-beta3, Fedora compiled from the v2.0 branch 1.9.0-snapshot.b1-0b88247b
  • Missing library?  Might explain what I assume are missing menus on Win 10 

Thanks!

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
8 hours ago, iswork said:

I see only a single featureless window, no menus or controls other than a rectangle with the name of my single screen in the center.

This is the new config UI for Synergy 2, which is much simpler (we removed the need to use IPs and server/client modes). 

8 hours ago, iswork said:

By comparison, the window from the Fedora version shows a set of menus, plus options for running in client and server modes. 

This is the legacy config UI for Synergy 1. It's only in the v2 branch because we haven't deleted it yet. The Synergy 1 UI is incompatible with the Synergy 2 UI, so that's why it's not working.

We have a Fedora RPM build for Synergy 2... how come you're not using it? By the way, Synergy 2 is party closed source, so you won't be able to build the new UI from source.

• Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
9 hours ago, iswork said:

After successfully building Synergy from the github v2.0 branch

FYI, I deleted the legacy v1 UI from the v2 branch (956f071f208dc16622fe5573c9ca65f60e64b319).

The open source component of Synergy 2 is now referred to as "Synergy Core" and is a command line only tool. If you're building Synergy Core from source, you'll need to run from the command line on both machines (and you'll also need to write a config file).

old iswork

Thanks for clearing that up Nick. 

I can't recall precisely but believe I had some trouble with the 2.0 rpm so switched to the build.  I'm going back to the rpm and will report later today.

Edited by iswork
old iswork

Ah, remembering now ... Fedora F26

synergy2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  []
QIODevice::write (QFile, ""): device not open
QObject::startTimer: Timers cannot have negative intervals
qrc:/ActivationPage.qml:65:21: QML Image: Binding loop detected for property "sourceSize.height"
Qt has caught an exception thrown from an event handler. Throwing
exceptions from an event handler is not supported in Qt.
You must not let any exception whatsoever propagate through Qt code.
If that is not possible, in Qt 5 you must at least reimplement
QCoreApplication::notify() and catch all exceptions there.
QThreadStorage: Thread 0x1024a60 exited after QThreadStorage 7 destroyed

old iswork

The above is what happens when I launch synergy after installing the RPM on Fedora F26.  I can see things aren't going well with QT but I'm unclear on corrective action.  Advice?