Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

"ERROR: failed to init synwinhk.dll, ...

John Tulloch
Good Morning, I just upgraded to 1.7.1 (Pro) and my server keeps giving me the following error in the log "ERROR: failed to init synwinhk.dll, another program may be using it" My clients were able to connect for about 10 minutes, but now the server is giving the above error. Can you help?
Dennis Winton
I'm having same issue now after upgrade to pro and enabling SSL. Tried turning off SSL and it doesn't seem to make a difference. INFO: starting new process activeDesktop:Default INFO: starting new process INFO: drag and drop enabled ERROR: failed to init synwinhk.dll, another program may be using it INFO: restarting your computer may solve this error FATAL: failed to start server: unable to open screen ERROR: failed to launch, error: process immediately stopped INFO: backing off, wait=10s, failures=13
Guillaume Barlier
I had the same issue, just had to close synergy and kill the service and start it again. If it persists i guess you could try restarting. Cheers.
borisattva
i received the upgrade today, and getting consistent crashes of the nature described in OP. synergy works fine on both PCs for about 5-10 minutes, then the server end freezes up, and client is unable to reach it. if i let the server app run through the freeze, eventually i'm able to see a long error log of repeated: [code] ERROR: error:140790E5:SSL routines:ssl23_write:ssl handshake failure ERROR: secure socket error: SSL_ERROR_SSL ERROR: could not get session id for process id 8660 ERROR: failed to init synwinhk.dll, another program may be using it FATAL: failed to start server: unable to open screen ERROR: failed to launch, error: process immediately stopped activeDesktop:Default[/code] forcing shutdown and restart of the server app does not recover the functionality. ending all processes manually and restarting the app does not either. logging off or restarting windows does resolve, but only continues to run well for another 5-10 minutes before the issue repeats all over again. i have tried doing a Repair on both c&s; install over; and a full uninstall/reinstall. this only began occurring after "activating" the 1.7.1 and that when i ran it prior to taking the upgrade, i experienced no such issues. i have disabled ssl on both c and s and so far have been running with no issues for ~20 minutes.
John Tulloch
I ended up going back to 1.6.2 because using the SSL (encryption is a necessity for me) kept on crashing. I hope that these issues in 1.7.x are resolved.
Leslie Schwartz
ERROR: could not get session id for process id 8496 INFO: starting new process INFO: drag and drop enabled ERROR: failed to init synwinhk.dll, another program may be using it INFO: restarting your computer may solve this error I am having this same problem, not using ssl. This just appeared after a windows 7 pro update on the pc last night. Worked fine yesterday. I have reset the pc several times, shut down and restarted synergy and rolled back to Version 1.6.3 Also checked the firewall rules for applications, synergy is allowed. Nothing helps. Is there a solution for this problem? [email protected]
Brian MacCartney
[quote="Nick Bolton"]Quick fix for synwinhk.dll errors: reboot[/quote] NO that does work for about 5 seconds then the problem comes back. What else ya got?
  • 2 months later...
I see that there's been no reply for awhile. When this isn't caused by somehow having a second copy of Synergy running, often it is due to the SSL implementation. There has been a lot of improvement regarding SSL, in the latest builds. I suggest: restart the Synergy service as a workaround, and either try the latest nightly build or wait for Synergy 1.7.4. http://synergy-project.org/nightly/
  • 3 weeks later...
Chip Wagner
I just started getting this error for the first time after upgrading to v1.7.4 and now can't connect. I may try uninstalling and then reinstalling and see what happens. Edit: Using the Windows 64 bit atm
Chip Wagner
Uninstall and reinstall worked but had to set the logging to Debug to get the certificate again (think last two upgrades I had to do this).
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Malcolm CROUCH
I started to getting this error today (18-Feb-2016). I presumed it had something to do with many Microsoft Updates that I installed yesterday. I had rebooted a couple of times before I tried to run Synergy and had this error. I stopped and started Synergy to no avail. I found the following to work: stop and restart the Synergy service. I am using Windows 7 64bit Synergy 1.6.5 on my server and Windows 10 32-bit on my second machine. I only had the error on the server machine. Hope this helps others.
There is a bug report on github about this: [url]https://github.com/symless/synergy/issues/4957[/url] Please check that out and comment if it is the same type of issue.
  • 1 year later...