Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Unusual multi-screen setups? (Pie in the sky?)

Just wondering with this new improved interface are we going to see better ability to cope with multi-screen computer setups, even unusual ones, rather than just the computer grid format of synergy 1?

I have a desktop setup with 2 computers and 5 screens, in one place I have the screens alternate 1/2/1/2/1 the entire setup actually looks more like

111111111/2/1/2
111111111/0/1/0

where that huge block of 1s is a projected screen, with the 0 slots open for phones, tablets, laptops and other temporary smaller screens (some that join the synergy group some that don't) and while the screens are all the same resolution obviously the projected screen and laptops are a different physical size to the static monitors

I know this isn't the typical use case, far from it, but I'm thinking if your program could handle something like my setup as I'd like it (rather than as I'm making do with synergy 1 which is still a massive improvement over a physical KVM) and include wrap around too, maybe then you would handle pretty much any setup possible. I'd be quite happy even if it's an 'advanced' feature that takes a lot of configuring to map where the jump points are in the middle of a computer's display etc. If done right I'm betting the product would even be useful in a single computer mode since my computer 1 would then have the projector be accessible from anywhere on the edge of either of my monitors instead of half of that edge because windows thinks each display is the same size.

As I suggested in the title this idea may be pie in the sky as far as a suggestion goes, I mean it's a unique set up and I should probably organise my stuff better but I was wondering if something like this was on the development radar for synergy2 

• Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Yeah, we see this kind of request from time to time. It's definitely an edge case though, an advanced feature. Currently, there is no way to split screens up like that. Though we may add a feature to do this later in Synergy 2 (though definitely not in 2.0).

Currently, you can wrap screens using a text config (but that'll require using a text config and command line).

Totally understand if it's not a focus right now, in some ways I paid into the beta because I was hoping for this feature eventually, and I really like Synergy 1 so supporting you guys is worth it.

Personally I wouldn't mind having to hand define the edges of the screens in text config on a per computer basis to use something like this, for example I could put all my screens in one line and use the config file to define new edges between 1920/1921 and 3840/3841, rescale projector screen to be a double height and width box in the GUI probably using the same config file and then have each screen be treated as a separate computer in synergy's GUI for lack of automation of the slicing process. Then if there's no config file then treat the whole computer as a single GUI box but if there is the config setup then having each screen being it's own box and different size boxes for different size screens are possible even if it's still stuck to the grid initially.

I'm probably over simplifying one possibility for a solution and like you say this may not be a release feature but I am looking forward to it down the line anyway, and you know I'm not the only one.

• Like 1