Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Any Plans for 32-Bit Version?

I am currently using Synergy to control my Windows tablet from my PC. My tablet only runs 32-bit Windows. Will Synergy 2.0 work with a Synergy 1.8 client? Or are there any plans for a 32-bit release of Synergy 2.0?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Keith Corkum

I too am in need of the 32 bit version.  I did not realize that the 2.0 client was not compatible with the 1.8 client.  That should be specified somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

I really didn't realize 32-bit was so popular in this day and age. I'll make sure we have it in November, sorry that can't come sooner.

How come you guys use 32-bit anyway?

GranPaSmurf

Well, I proudly announce that I've never bought a computer. Of the several I use, all were given to me (inoperable). I inherited a couple from grandkids. Let that sink in...highschool geeks coming to their grandfather for computer help and/or giving their busted machines to me.

The 32bit machine has some programs I doubt I could reproduce easily. Like the Macromedia suite with Dreamweaver and Fireworks. I haven't found a graphics program as good as Fireworks for online graphics. Also the full Microsoft Office suite...2003 I think... I seldom actually need Excell or PowerPoint, but why pay to have them on newer computers? 

With Synergy I can just mouse up to the Win 7 box and build a quick graphic for a site, save it to Dropbox (I know, I know) and pick it up on my Linux development machine.

If that box ever dies, I'll try to figure a way to save and reuse the HD. so the Win 7 will still be 32 bit. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nick Bolton said:

I'm using a Windows tablet that runs 32-bit Windows 10.

Edited by BBoYTuRBo
  • Like 1
On 9/14/2017 at 4:05 AM, Nick Bolton said:

I really didn't realize 32-bit was so popular in this day and age. I'll make sure we have it in November, sorry that can't come sooner.

I also am running 32 bit (Windows and Linux) on a couple computers and was worried when I saw no 32 bit installer. I am glad to hear that it will be available.

To answer the question: I've run 32 bit for a couple reasons.

1. I have a couple old programs that are not 64 bit compatible. There are no new versions (that are within my price range) and the programs interact with hardware that cannot be redirected to a VM.

2. I have a couple laptops that are running 32 bit processors. Using synergy I pretty much just use them for web browsing/extra screen space.

3. I have a couple computers that have low amounts of RAM and can't justify throwing any money at them for the little bit that they get used. (and a 32 bit OS runs fine on them.)

I found synergy about a year ago and I've been very impressed with what you have done. Please keep up the good work.

• 4 weeks later...
daniel_kukiela
On 14.09.2017 at 10:05 AM, Nick Bolton said:

I am running 32-bit Ubuntu on my old Laptop - C2d + 4GB of ram, it's my small personal server with Plex server, DLNA server, some servers monitoring (additional screen), Chatty, some TTS, some Python scripts, etc. And it still can do more.

I am also going to use it for Raspberry Pi 3.

It is not possible to run Synergy 2 on a Raspberry Pi 3 yet right (since it's 32 bit)? Sorry for the noob question-- just starting to use a Raspberry Pi 3/Raspbian and Ubuntu Mate.

• 2 weeks later...