Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Keyboard Language changing when switching between screens

I have two laptops.  One has Windows 10 on it and has English (United States), Spanish (Colombia), and Japanese keyboards enabled.  The other (MacBook Air with OSX Sierra) has the English, Spanish, and Japanese keyboards also installed.  What happens is when I mouse from the Windows computer and back it changes the keyboard language on the Windows computer and cycles through them about ever 5th time passing over to the other screen.  I can keep changing the keyboard language on my screen whenever it happens, but it is definitely a bug that needs to be fixed for production. I think it is only affecting the keyboard language on the windows computer because I am using it as the host keyboard.  Let me know if you need any more information.

UPDATE: It seems to only be happening when command prompt is open and has focus on the host computer.  When cmd has focus it cycles through without fail every time that you move from the Windows to the Mac.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
15 hours ago, CaraDeHil said:

Actually I don't have Synergy 1 to be able to test it out, so I can't confirm or deny that.

Now you do!

Okay.  With Synergy 1 it isn't cycling through the languages.  What happens with S1 is that right after you change language from L1 to L2, when you move your mouse to the client it switches back to L1, then upon entering the server again it changes the language back to L2.  The language stays on L2 from then on even when on the client and when on the server.  I'll keep testing it out to see if there is any change in behavior. 

Edited by CaraDeHil
  • 4 weeks later...
Pingviinituutti

Hi!

I have the same problem. I'm using Synergy 1.8.8-stable and have two Windows machines, both running windows 10. Also, the keyboard language is only changing on the computer running the server.

I have disabled the option "Let me set a different input method for each app window" and removed the hotkeys for changing input languages in the windows language settings.

I can also confirm that the change of language only happens when the console window is in focus on the machine running the synergy server.

• 2 years later...
SymlessRichard

Hi,

Has a bug report been created?  I'm using 1.10.3 (Windows 10) and this is still a problem -- the server changes (cycles through) the input languages when the focus is on a Command Prompt window and my mouse pointer crosses over into a client's screen.

• 3 months later...
Pingviinituutti

Hi!

Nope, I haven't filed a bug report for this ? But filing them could be a good idea! I'll do that next time this bug annoys me too much. I have kind of learned to just live with it...

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
OchaBanana

Hello,

Today I just bought Synergy and my version is "synergy_1.13.1-stable", still got this problem.

Both machines are Windows 10.

Once I move cursor to a client then I press "alt+shift" to change language between Thai<>English, the system in a client shown the language had changed already but when I type the language it's automatically change back to be same language that the Server used. 

Scenario-1: I used English in a Server then move cursor to a client, press "alt+shift" on a client to change to Thai everything looking good but when I type it's has back to English

Scenario-2: I used Thai in a Server then move cursor to a client, press "alt+shift" on a client to change to English it didn't change back to Thai in this time but I got only "???????" when typing even I change to Thai in a client I still got only "???????????" when typing.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, I got the best solution for this issue. 

If you use Windows 10, there is a solution for this without having to use quirky and unreliable solutions. 

1. Install PowerToy by Microsoft

2. Map language conversion key on client PC with host PC's language conversion key. 

For example, my host PC's right alt key is kor/eng conversion key. If I connect my laptop as a client PC, it doesn't work as described in this thread. Install PowerToy on the laptop and map language conversion key with the laptop's native language conversion key. 

Boom. Your problem has gone for good. 

• 1 month later...

I'm also having this issue between two Windows 10 boxes. And yes it seems to happen only when the the focus was on the command prompt (cmd.exe). Powershell does not have the problem though.

• 9 months later...

As of today with 1.14.5 I'm still having this problem. And it's not limited to just command prompt. It can happen with any programs it seems.
Allow me to tag @Nick Bolton as you've been on this thread before.

Edited by Pigeon

One of the best solutions I've come up with is to use Microsoft's PowerToy which is a collection of utility features Microsoft has recently released. 

It has keymapping feature so that you can "force" client PC to remember how it should behave when you stroke langauge conversion key. 

1. Install PowerToy on client PC that has its own native keyboard (laptop, another external keyboard, etc)

2. While two PCs are connected, open PowerToy and go to key remapping

3. You basically set "if I make this stroke, then do that stroke". "This stroke" should be Symless-connected keyboard's language conversion key and "that stoke" should be the native keyboard's language conversion key. 

4. Voila. Now malfunctioning Symless-connected client PC's language conversion key will work alright as expected. 

On 9/29/2022 at 7:03 PM, km-link said:

One of the best solutions I've come up with is to use Microsoft's PowerToy which is a collection of utility features Microsoft has recently released. 

It has keymapping feature so that you can "force" client PC to remember how it should behave when you stroke langauge conversion key. 

1. Install PowerToy on client PC that has its own native keyboard (laptop, another external keyboard, etc)

2. While two PCs are connected, open PowerToy and go to key remapping

3. You basically set "if I make this stroke, then do that stroke". "This stroke" should be Symless-connected keyboard's language conversion key and "that stoke" should be the native keyboard's language conversion key. 

4. Voila. Now malfunctioning Symless-connected client PC's language conversion key will work alright as expected. 

Hi there. I did see you mentioning PowerToy in your earlier post, but I'm not sure if I understand how could workaround the problem I have. I can actually have no keystroke set for switching input, and somehow just by moving to the other synergy screen is causing it to switch input language sometimes. So I actually don't have any key that I should remap.

1 hour ago, Pigeon said:

Hi there. I did see you mentioning PowerToy in your earlier post, but I'm not sure if I understand how could workaround the problem I have. I can actually have no keystroke set for switching input, and somehow just by moving to the other synergy screen is causing it to switch input language sometimes. So I actually don't have any key that I should remap.

For this setup, your client PC has to have its native keyboard. If it's laptop, it obviously has one and if it's a PC, connect a spare keyboard. 

Go to PowerToy's keyboard manager on your client PC. That's where you can remap a key. 

As I said, it's "if you make this stroke, do that stroke". A physical key (this stroke) should be Symless-connected keyboard (The one that is connected to your host PC) . 

On your client PC's PowerToy, press language conversion key of your Symless-connected keyboard as a trigger (this stroke) 

Then press your client PC's native keyboard (laptop keyboard or spare keyboard) as an output (that stroke)

The whole language conversion key issue is happening because client PC doesn't correctly recognize Symless-connected keyboard's language conversion key and instead returns some other weird key combination. 

This way, you can force your client PC to convert that weird key combination to the correct language conversion key that you get when you press language conversion key on your native keyboard (laptop keyboard or spare keyboard)

If you don't understand the process, read again. 

If you've tried and it doesn't work, that's a shame. 

On 10/1/2022 at 7:01 AM, km-link said:

On your client PC's PowerToy, press language conversion key of your Symless-connected keyboard as a trigger (this stroke) 

Dumb question. Which one is the language conversion key?

On 11/14/2021 at 11:23 PM, km-link said:

Hi guys, I got the best solution for this issue. 

If you use Windows 10, there is a solution for this without having to use quirky and unreliable solutions. 

1. Install PowerToy by Microsoft

2. Map language conversion key on client PC with host PC's language conversion key. 

For example, my host PC's right alt key is kor/eng conversion key. If I connect my laptop as a client PC, it doesn't work as described in this thread. Install PowerToy on the laptop and map language conversion key with the laptop's native language conversion key. 

Boom. Your problem has gone for good. 

I think it depends on the keyboard layout and your language. For Koreans, right alt key is standard Kor-Eng language conversion key.