Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

2-way connection

Hello,

I use Synergy because I sometimes have to use my school laptop at home. So I move my keyboard out of the way and place my laptop there.
I use my desktop as the server, and laptop as host so that I can use my expensive gaming mouse without the need to unplug it from my pc and mess up the wiring.

This leaves me with one problem. I can use my laptop with its own keyboard and my desktop's mouse, but i can't use my desktop with my laptop's keyboard and its own mouse.

The Suggestion:
I wish there was a way to set up both systems as server and host, or have a separate server and host for the keyboard and mouse.

On 13-9-2017 at 10:29 AM, Nick Bolton said:

Could you give Synergy 2 a try? https://symless.com/synergy/early-access

Thank you for your reply.

I don't have the time to do this today, and I can't access my laptop tomorrow or saturday, so I'll try it out on sunday.

In the meantime I would like to ask a few questions regarding Synergy 2.
Trying Synergy 2 is not possible without buying access to the beta, right? It's not a big problem, but if that's the case I would like to know for sure that the 2-way-connection is really a feature in Synergy 2. Is there any place I can find more information about the new features in Synergy 2?

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

It currently has 2-way connection, so I think that would solve your problem. We're working on a features page, but that's the main feature.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Nick Bolton said:

It currently has 2-way connection, so I think that would solve your problem. We're working on a features page, but that's the main feature.

I'll make sure to check it out soon. That would really make life easier! Thank you very much.

Does it by any chance also include my other suggestion as a feature? (this one: https://symless.com/forums/topic/3854-proper-monitor-configuration/ )

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

That's something we'd love to do, and it's planned for this year. Should be possible, it's only a matter of time.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Nick Bolton said:

That's something we'd love to do, and it's planned for this year. Should be possible, it's only a matter of time.

That sounds great!

To me it doesn't sound like a lot of work though (I study software engineering for a year now). In Synergy it shows the log, and there I can already see the coordinates where it enters the screen. If I leave the screen at pixel 1150 out of 1920 it translates it to pixel 2300 out of 3840. If there were a slider that would allow for the left entry point to be changed, and a slider for the right entry point then this could work. It's not the most elegant way, but at least it works. This would also allow for the other computer to be halfway between both of the other monitors. 

(I can understand that this feature isn't high on the list of priorities and that there are a lot more little features you all want to implement)

Anyways, thank you very much for the help and for listening. I really appreciatie it.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
14 hours ago, Animiles said:

To me it doesn't sound like a lot of work though

As you'll discover, it's because of a lack of time and resources. This is the most difficult thing to deal with in business. Writing software is quite easy, finding the time to do it all is hard.

On 16-9-2017 at 9:05 AM, Nick Bolton said:

As you'll discover, it's because of a lack of time and resources. This is the most difficult thing to deal with in business. Writing software is quite easy, finding the time to do it all is hard.

I get the feeling you missed the part where I said: "I can understand that this feature isn't high on the list of priorities and that there are a lot more little features you all want to implement"

I got the beta somewhat working. I can't get the 2-way connection to work. There is also a lot of input lag when I use my desktop's mouse on my laptop with Synergy 2.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
9 minutes ago, Animiles said:

I get the feeling you missed the part where I said: "I can understand that this feature isn't high on the list of priorities and that there are a lot more little features you all want to implement"

And you'd be right! :D

10 minutes ago, Animiles said:

I got the beta somewhat working. I can't get the 2-way connection to work. There is also a lot of input lag when I use my desktop's mouse on my laptop with Synergy 2.

That's a common issue. It'll be fixed in beta5. We're working on a new dynamic networking layer to solve this.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Nick Bolton said:

That's a common issue. It'll be fixed in beta5. We're working on a new dynamic networking layer to solve this.

That sounds great! Thank you very much for all of your help!

• Like 1