Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Linux users: beta4 needs extra config

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nick Bolton

• jaap aarts

• GranPaSmurf

• koste

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think that should probably change from: to: ExecStart=/bin/env HOME=/home/<username> /usr/bin/synergyd If your username is joeblow, then it would be: ExecStart=/bin/env HOME=

Editing the config and restarting the service worked for me. Thanks jaap aarts

Hi Linux users, To use beta4, please run these commands after installing and before starting the config app: mkdir -p ~/.config/synergy/ ln -s ~/.config/Symless/Synergy/synergy.conf ~/.config

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Mbuchaus said:

I attempt to start daemon it core dumps

-- Subject: Unit synergy.service has finished start-up
-- Unit synergy.service has finished starting up.
Sep 18 13:26:04 martovo synergyd[30456]: [2017-09-18T13:26:04] debug: service log path: /var/log/synergy-service.log
Sep 18 13:26:04 martovo synergyd[30456]: [2017-09-18T13:26:04] info: starting service...
Sep 18 13:26:04 martovo synergyd[30456]: terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
Sep 18 13:26:04 martovo synergyd[30456]:   what():  HOME environment variable not set
Sep 18 13:26:05 martovo systemd[1]: synergy.service: Main process exited, code=dumped, status=6/ABRT
Sep 18 13:26:05 martovo systemd[1]: synergy.service: Unit entered failed state.
Sep 18 13:26:05 martovo systemd[1]: synergy.service: Failed with result 'core-dump'.
Sep 18 13:26:05 martovo systemd[1]: synergy.service: Service has no hold-off time, scheduling restart.
-- Subject: Unit synergy.service has finished shutting down
-- Unit synergy.service has finished shutting down.
Sep 18 13:26:05 martovo systemd[1]: synergy.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
-- Subject: Unit synergy.service has failed
-- Unit synergy.service has failed.
Sep 18 13:26:05 martovo systemd[1]: synergy.service: Unit entered failed state.
Sep 18 13:26:05 martovo systemd[1]: synergy.service: Failed with result 'core-dump'.

have you tried this?

On 9/14/2017 at 5:11 PM, jaap aarts said:

all you can do is edit /usr/lib/systemd/system/synergy.service(as root)

and change the line that starts with ExecStart to:

ExecStart=/bin/env HOME=/root /usr/bin/synergyd

then execute this command as root:

systemctl deamon-reload
systemctl start synergy
systemctl enable synergy

this should start the service every time you boot.

also make sure to read this, my original fix didnt work correctly:

On 9/14/2017 at 7:02 PM, kbuckham said:

I think that should probably change from:

ExecStart/bin/env HOME=/root /usr/bin/synergyd

to:

ExecStart=/bin/env HOME=/home/<username> /usr/bin/synergyd

If your username is joeblow, then it would be:

ExecStart=/bin/env HOME=/home/joeblow /usr/bin/synergyd

this should correctly start your systemd service.

if all else fails you can try running it via the terminal:

/usr/bin/synergyd

Edited by jaap aarts
shortned quite
42 minutes ago, sroebuck said:

I'm finding that synergyd aborts with an assertion failure but if I run it with gdb then it doesn't and Synergy works fine.

can you post the logs here?

it might give me(and symless) some information about whats the problem.

My setup: macOS 10.12.6, McBook with internal 13" and external FullHD monitor  &  Tuxedo XUX with Ubuntu 16.10 with internal 4K and two external FullHD monitors.

Installation with no fixes would start the client on both machines, showing one icon each, green on the Mac, black on the Linux laptop. Screen size is fine on the Mac and much too large on the Linux laptop.

Applied the fix with the config-symlink and jaaps fix in the service file.  @jaap: there is one typo in your procedure, "systemctl deamon-reload" should read "systemctl daemon-reload".
Starting, quitting and restarting the client and service with the different procedures described in this thread resulted in numerous crashes.

The two fixes got it working, eventually, a little, when starting the service manually: client would show up on Linux and show both icons and both green. Linux has the mouse connected and is the server. I can move the mouse normally on the Linux-screens, but when I move the mouse into the Mac it gets stuck. I had this effect before with 1.9beta. Using the Mac as server worked fine, though. I can move to the Linux screen with no hassles.

Will try again tomorrow after a restart of the computer and with only Nick's patch and the original service.settings-file.

I have redone everything this morning: followed the troubleshooting guide for Mac and Linux, restarted the computers.

On Linux, synergyd crashed on start, but I was able to start it with /usr/bin/synergyd in the terminal. Linux client would come up, I pressed F12, both machines were recognized and green. On the Mac I am NOT able to start the Synergy.app anymore. It will do simply nothing and I am not able to find log entries. The Mac is recognized by the Linux machine, though.

Then, same problem since 1.9.0: Mac-screen is left, Linux is right. I can enter the Mac screen, but the cursor gets stuck on its left movement. Pulling to the left over and over again, the cursor will jump random distances once in a while. Pulling the mouse to the right is causing no trouble at all.

I need Synergy quite urgently today, so I will rollback to 1.8.8 for the time being and wait for beta5.

Question: do I have to run the client app on both machines or just the one that is supposed to be the server?

Question: remapping the modifier keys per screen - will those options still be available in Synergy 2?

2 hours ago, appendx said:

Question: do I have to run the client app on both machines or just the one that is supposed to be the server?

the application doesnt realy do anything, as far as I know you dont need it.

beta4 "works" for me with these extra steps (although the systemd service never works no matter what I do to the config file). And I hope this beta is actually an Alpha because I can't use Synergy if it's going to decide for itself which machine is the server and which is the client. That needs to be configurable. Also it needs to let me manually add IPs, not rely on autodiscover. And it needs to install and run if I'm on a network without internet access. So far it looks like the only benefit this gives me is a nice little GUI to arrange screens in something other than a strict grid -- which is nice, but you can do that with the 1.x config file anyway.

21 hours ago, jaap aarts said:

can you post the logs here?

it might give me(and symless) some information about whats the problem.

So, I'm running between a Mac running as client and a Linux machine (which is causing the problems).

The Linux machine is one of two running Ubuntu 17.04 - the other did not exhibit this issue - it worked without gdb.

When I run synergyd on this machine it runs fine until I launch Synergy (the app) which then causes synergyd to die.

The log to the screen just before it dies is:

[wamp_message_processor.cpp:47][process_message] processing message: yield
[wamp_dealer.cpp:424][process_yield_message] session [7090515283965860,default,open], yield [2, {}, null, null]
[wamp_dealer.cpp:465][process_yield_message] session [7090515283965860,default,open], result [7, {}, null, null]
[rawsocket_transport.cpp:39][send_message] sending message: result
[wamp_message_processor.cpp:47][process_message] processing message: publish
[wamp_broker.cpp:111][process_publish_message] session [7090515283965860,default,open], publish [32, {}, synergy.service.log, ["[2017-09-19T19:20:40] debug: sending last profile snapshot\n"], null]
[wamp_broker.cpp:149][process_publish_message] session [2257228500326156,default,open], event [2, 6933809829263870, {}, ["[2017-09-19T19:20:40] debug: sending last profile snapshot\n"], null]
[rawsocket_transport.cpp:39][send_message] sending message: event
[wamp_broker.cpp:111][process_publish_message] session [7090515283965860,default,open], publish [33, {}, synergy.profile.snapshot, ["{\"profile\":{\"configVersion\":37,\"id\":621,\"name\":\"default\",\"server\":1466},\"screens\":[{\"active\":true,\"id\":1466,\"ipList\":\"192.168.x.x,192.168.x.x,192.168.x.x\",\"name\":\"sr-thinkpad\",\"status\":\"Connecting\",\"x_pos\":264,\"y_pos\":164},{\"active\":false,\"id\":1194,\"ipList\":\"192.168.x.x\",\"name\":\"Stuarts-iMac.local\",\"status\":\"Connected\",\"x_pos\":350,\"y_pos\":163},{\"active\":false,\"id\":1193,\"ipList\":\"192.168.x.x,192.168.x.x,192.168.x.x\",\"name\":\"sroebuck-W110ER\",\"status\":\"Connected\",\"x_pos\":436,\"y_pos\":164}]}"], null]
[wamp_broker.cpp:149][process_publish_message] session [2257228500326156,default,open], event [5, 727302304671762, {}, ["{\"profile\":{\"configVersion\":37,\"id\":621,\"name\":\"default\",\"server\":1466},\"screens\":[{\"active\":true,\"id\":1466,\"ipList\":\"192.168.x.x,192.168.x.x,192.168.x.x\",\"name\":\"sr-thinkpad\",\"status\":\"Connecting\",\"x_pos\":264,\"y_pos\":164},{\"active\":false,\"id\":1194,\"ipList\":\"192.168.x.x\",\"name\":\"Stuarts-iMac.local\",\"status\":\"Connected\",\"x_pos\":350,\"y_pos\":163},{\"active\":false,\"id\":1193,\"ipList\":\"192.168.x.x,192.168.x.x,192.168.x.x\",\"name\":\"sroebuck-W110ER\",\"status\":\"Connected\",\"x_pos\":436,\"y_pos\":164}]}"], null]
[wamp_broker.cpp:111][process_publish_message] session [7090515283965860,default,open], publish [34, {}, synergy.service.log, ["[2017-09-19T19:20:40] debug: config ui opened, forcing connectivity test\n"], null]
[wamp_broker.cpp:149][process_publish_message] session [2257228500326156,default,open], event [2, 4144658679171280, {}, ["[2017-09-19T19:20:40] debug: config ui opened, forcing connectivity test\n"], null]
[wamp_broker.cpp:111][process_publish_message] session [7090515283965860,default,open], publish [35, {}, synergy.service.log, ["[2017-09-19T19:20:40] debug: new screens detected (3), preparing connectivity test\n"], null]
[wamp_broker.cpp:149][process_publish_message] session [2257228500326156,default,open], event [2, 2318340563364981, {}, ["[2017-09-19T19:20:40] debug: new screens detected (3), preparing connectivity test\n"], null]
[wamp_broker.cpp:111][process_publish_message] session [7090515283965860,default,open], publish [36, {}, synergy.service.log, ["[2017-09-19T19:20:40] debug: handling local profile screen set changed, mode=server\n"], null]
[wamp_broker.cpp:149][process_publish_message] session [2257228500326156,default,open], event [2, 7002423009379088, {}, ["[2017-09-19T19:20:40] debug: handling local profile screen set changed, mode=server\n"], null]
[wamp_broker.cpp:111][process_publish_message] session [7090515283965860,default,open], publish [37, {}, synergy.service.log, ["[2017-09-19T19:20:40] debug: starting core server process\n"], null]
[wamp_broker.cpp:149][process_publish_message] session [2257228500326156,default,open], event [2, 5261716598401176, {}, ["[2017-09-19T19:20:40] debug: starting core server process\n"], null]
[wamp_broker.cpp:111][process_publish_message] session [7090515283965860,default,open], publish [38, {}, synergy.service.log, ["[2017-09-19T19:20:40] debug: process already running, attempting to stop\n"], null]
[wamp_broker.cpp:149][process_publish_message] session [2257228500326156,default,open], event [2, 8563723840668788, {}, ["[2017-09-19T19:20:40] debug: process already running, attempting to stop\n"], null]
[wamp_broker.cpp:111][process_publish_message] session [7090515283965860,default,open], publish [39, {}, synergy.service.log, ["[2017-09-19T19:20:40] debug: stopping core process\n"], null]
[wamp_broker.cpp:149][process_publish_message] session [2257228500326156,default,open], event [2, 3947981444833652, {}, ["[2017-09-19T19:20:40] debug: stopping core process\n"], null]
synergyd: /home/synergy/boost/include/boost/optional/optional.hpp:1117: boost::optional<T>::pointer_type boost::optional<T>::operator->() [with T = boost::process::child; boost::optional<T>::pointer_type = boost::process::child*]: Assertion `this->is_initialized()' failed.
[1]    917 abort (core dumped)  synergyd

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Good spot! Actually we fixed this already in beta5.

Assertion `this->is_initialized()' failed.
[1]    917 abort (core dumped)  synergyd

After installing on Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS from Synergy 1.8, creating the missing folder and creating missing symlinks for the config file and starting the daemon, nothing happens and the Synergy login windows never appears...

Back to 1.8...

Edited by Seb
Kris Dekeyser

As a note for Ubuntu users:

The env command is not located in /bin, but /usr/bin, so the line in the service config should probably read:

ExecStart=/usr/bin/env HOME=/home/<username> /usr/bin/synergyd

Finally - at least on my ubuntu 17.04, the systemctl reload command to be used is:

systemctl daemon-reload

Unfortunately the patch described above did not work for me. The service core-dumps :( on sttartup from systemctl. It works when running manually from the command line as root, though

Reading the log with journalctl -u synergy I noticed that the HOME variable was still not set. Using askubuntu:com I found the answer:

You should not edit the file in /usr/lib/... Instead run:

sudo systemctl edit synergy

You will get an empty editor screen. You are not editing the original file, but creating an overwrite file instead. Make the content read:

[Service]
ExecStart=
ExecStart=/usr/bin/env HOME=/home/<username> /usr/bin/synergyd

Note that the empty ExecStart= entry is not a typo. It is required for none onestop services. If you forget it, you will get an error when starting the service.

Save the file. Then do:

sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo systremctl start synergy

Bingo! That did it for me on my Ubuntu 17.04.

Edited by Kris Dekeyser
saved too early
  • Like 1
Kris Dekeyser
On 19/09/2017 at 3:54 PM, jaap aarts said:

the application doesnt realy do anything, as far as I know you dont need it.

I have to run them for things to work. And if I want to swap servers, I need to press F12 in the app on the new server.

running on Arch Linux (not the newest everything), and Windows 10. Both are installed and running properly as far as I can tell. However, I cannot move my mouse to my other device! Nothing shows up in the terminal but I do get 

after moving the location of the screens. 

Kris Dekeyser
1 hour ago, Chuck007 said:

Kris, thanks -- this worked for me, except for one small typo:

sudo systremctl start synergy

should be

sudo systemctl start synergy

Good catch, thanks.

12 hours ago, wiljust said:

running on Arch Linux (not the newest everything), and Windows 10. Both are installed and running properly as far as I can tell. However, I cannot move my mouse to my other device! Nothing shows up in the terminal but I do get 

after moving the location of the screens. 

I also got both of them working (after some magic on linux using these tips), logged in separately, but theres only one device showing up on each window (I guess theyre supposed to detect eachother?) and the mouse cannot be moved. I understand there are bugs in a beta version but it is disappointing to pay for a completely unusable program :/ Putting in a simple IP adress was so much easier

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
3 hours ago, fongie said:

I understand there are bugs in a beta version but it is disappointing to pay for a completely unusable program

Yeah, we totally messed up with Linux (because we didn't use it while developing beta4).

The good news is, I'm now using Linux Mint for development and have identified the Linux bugs which will be fixed for beta5.

Please email us for a refund: [email protected]

• Like 1

Ok so I understand there are issues on linux to be worked out. I'll hold out until the next beta before asking for a refund.

Will synergy work from the login screen in linux - before the user session is created? I.e gdm, lightdm, sddm which don't run as any normal user (root or some special other user, I'm not sure), so the service needs to function when run as root

I've paid the beta to support you guys. I really hope that the v.2 will work as expected.

Right now I have Ubuntu + Win + Mac and the beta just doesn't work. I tried and tried but I don't have to time to debug and fight.

However - you are a great team and that's why I support you. Wish you luck with the v.2 and I hope we will see it working soon :)

2 hours ago, heeen said:

Ok so I understand there are issues on linux to be worked out. I'll hold out until the next beta before asking for a refund.

Will synergy work from the login screen in linux - before the user session is created? I.e gdm, lightdm, sddm which don't run as any normal user (root or some special other user, I'm not sure), so the service needs to function when run as root

I finally got Linux version working, I tried all the fixes and nothing, then... I missed one TINY little step of pressing F12 in the client on Linux, and BAM!  It worked.  

While I have not had much time to play, it did stop working once I locked my screen, and that was a little disappointing.  I guess I'm going to have to run it as root?  Not sure what my options are there, or if there are options yet.  

• Nick Bolton unpinned this topic
4 hours ago, heeen said:

the beta should 100% work on login screen, as it is run a startup.

if you get it working you should already be able to.

4 hours ago, koste said:

I've paid the beta to support you guys. I really hope that the v.2 will work as expected.

Right now I have Ubuntu + Win + Mac and the beta just doesn't work. I tried and tried but I don't have to time to debug and fight.

However - you are a great team and that's why I support you. Wish you luck with the v.2 and I hope we will see it working soon :)

OK, edit: I've 

1. killed the ubuntu application and started it manually /usr/bin/synergyd &
  2. restarted the windows service
  3. opened the windows gui - didn't ask me to sing in again
  4. opened the ubuntu gui - asked again to sign in
  5. pressed F12 on the ubuntu gui - forced as server
    I did try F12 on the windows machine but it just doesn't work.
  6. after last step the ubuntu connected to the windows and started. Now only the mac was still not working
  7. closed the gui on the mac
  8. force quit both synergy processes from activity monitor - nothing. did this several times - voila: at some point the mouse moved and now I have:
    ubuntu as server, win and mac as clients :)

Only that the mac gui now doesn't open... I am afraid that tomorrow this will not work again :D:D:D 

Also the hot-corner on the mac which was starting the screensaver /I used this with the old synergy to start the screensaver on all machines/ now doesn't work.

Cheers!

Edited by koste

I've found that Beta4 really doesn't like playing with firewalls and it requires more ports than just 24800, which was not the case with v1.8. For my testing instance it so far has required 24800, 24810, 24888 and 47651 - not sure if the ports are static, or if there's randomization involved in any of these.