Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Crash on Start

I just bought Early Access for Synergy 2, downloaded and installed it. Once I start Synergy 2 the app crashes couple of seconds later, preventing any kind of configuration. Starting elevated or not does not make any difference. Running on Windows 10 Pro 1703 x64.

Screenshot

2017-09-14_183111-nxpco.thumb.png.802fcf8970708caecb69517adf5412a7.png

Text

Faulting application name: synergy2.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x59b9380d
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.15063.413, time stamp: 0x5ba8b66e
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x00000000000734be
Faulting process id: 0x2728
Faulting application start time: 0x01d32d73f07abe35
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Synergy\synergy2.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report Id: 73884c95-4d73-4167-b049-2d125c449151
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Edited by pkernstock

I had a similar issue. I wonder if they didn't turn the online account authorization on yet. I just tried again (I didn't change anything) and now it works. Maybe try again.

EDIT: That is what we get for being early adopters lol

Edited by emil2015

I see. It's working now. However I just realized, that Synergy v2 seems to be 100% completely cloud-based and relies on an internet connection.
Somehow I don't really like the way to the cloud concept...

• Like 1

I agree about the restricted networks. Depending on where I am and what I am doing internet isn't always available and/or if I am running through a VPN it could cause issues. 

Another reason is displayed perfectly by the launch, if something ever gets screwed up with the online authentication or something I lose the ability to use it. Something that has no need to be online is now online dependent. Working in IT I know the difference between how things should be working and the reality of life :)

Worth pointing out that the majority of users are likely to be from an IT admin background and fussy about this kind of thing, and cloud dependency.  Most of us capable of setting up configuration without needing cloudy pictures to do it.  Agree that for end-users-what-lack-an-clue it is nice. 

My guess is anyone paying for beta access to this particular utility wants it local, configurable and reliable.

/2d

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Well, so far my support experience is that 1) synergy won't even activate on my Win 7 and now I find out if I've got version 2 I'll need cloud, and oh by the way if you want it to work in your restricted network you have to buy enterprise and pay more.  Fortunately I'm only out for synergy basic but this is a huge letdown.  I realize you guys gotta pay your developers but this is ridiculous.  I see ZERO reason why Keyboard Mouse sharing on my home network in any way benefits from a cloud connection, that's some complete BS right there.  How about charging people more if they want to LEVERAGE THE CLOUD rather than be locked into their home networks?  If I wanted my business up in the cloud I'd be using Alexa and Nest and whatever IoT crap that let me netowork my toaster.

And we get no thumbs down button so Nick doesn't know how many people decided they never ever  want to take his advice again.  Well you got my money but at this point I see no reason to recommend this company for anything to anyone I like.

• 2 months later...
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Good news: we have totally reversed our stance on this. The next major version will have a full offline mode (optional cloud features).

We realized that adding cloud dependency in Synergy 2 was a huge mistake. We have a number of users we have that use Synergy in air-gapped environments such as security, military, etc. Internet connections also sometimes do go offline. Then there's the privacy issue; we feel that it's important that people have a say in where their data is stored.

• Like 1