Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Delay before m/kb movement after 1s inactivity on Mac client

Justin Oryschak
I'm running 1.7.3 on a desktop Win 8.1 64bit and and a Macbook Pro OS X 10.10.3 with the Windows machine as the server. If I let the mouse and keyboard on the OS X client sit for a moment (~1s or less), there's a delay between me moving the mouse and the cursor moving, likewise for keyboard inputs. If I keep the mouse moving the motion is perfectly smooth with no latency. Here's a video showing both the smooth motion and the laggy motion after letting the mouse sit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D67xmL_u1vE Running OS X as a server *does* fix the problem, however, but that's not a long term solution for me since I want to be able to use the fixed Win 8.1 desktop setup without plugging anything into the Mac every time I need both machines. Troubleshooting I've done: * Tried using different mouse, no change (Logitech G700s and G502) * Tried using nightly version of Synergy, no difference * Tried using older (1.6) version of Synergy, no difference * Restarted both computers several times, made sure there were no issues in the server log and that Synergy was running as administrator The problem seems similar to this person's, though he never responded after the original post: https://github.com/synergy/synergy/issues/3807 I'd appreciate any help you could give me!
  • 3 weeks later...
Justin Oryschak
Lots of views but no comments - is there anything I can do to help explain the problem more? This is a show stopper issue for me.
Ben Koenig
I'm sorry for not getting to this. The github issue for this was marked obsolete and then closed. Off the top of my head, are you using a wired or wireless network connection?
Justin Oryschak
Thanks for the response! I wouldn't say that ticket describes the situation, as it has nothing to do with the UI on my end. I'd say it more closely resembles this ticket: https://github.com/synergy/synergy/issues/2838 [quote]To be precise, I move the mouse to the client and leave it there for a couple of seconds. In the meantime, the server sends some Keep alive packets. Then I start moving my mouse. The problem is with the first packet (x) sent containg coordinates after that period. Although the server continuously sends packets with different coordinates, the mouse on the client screen remains frozen. After about a second a retransmission of packet (x) occurs for the first time and the mouse starts moving again, making a big jump as if it ignored all the packets that came in the meantime.[/quote] I'm using a wired connection on the PC server and a wireless connection on the Macbook client. I verified that the Macbook was connecting at 802.11AC speeds (~500 Mbps) and it's about 15ft from the wireless router at most. I haven't tested to see if the Macbook has the same issue over ethernet because I don't feel like paying for an adapter just to troubleshoot. I did update to the newest beta version of OSX (10.10.4) with no change.
  • 2 weeks later...
Michael Souza
[quote="Justin Oryschak"]Thanks for the response! I wouldn't say that ticket describes the situation, as it has nothing to do with the UI on my end. I'd say it more closely resembles this ticket: https://github.com/synergy/synergy/issues/2838 [quote]To be precise, I move the mouse to the client and leave it there for a couple of seconds. In the meantime, the server sends some Keep alive packets. Then I start moving my mouse. The problem is with the first packet (x) sent containg coordinates after that period. Although the server continuously sends packets with different coordinates, the mouse on the client screen remains frozen. After about a second a retransmission of packet (x) occurs for the first time and the mouse starts moving again, making a big jump as if it ignored all the packets that came in the meantime.[/quote] I'm using a wired connection on the PC server and a wireless connection on the Macbook client. I verified that the Macbook was connecting at 802.11AC speeds (~500 Mbps) and it's about 15ft from the wireless router at most. I haven't tested to see if the Macbook has the same issue over ethernet because I don't feel like paying for an adapter just to troubleshoot. I did update to the newest beta version of OSX (10.10.4) with no change.[/quote] I too am experiencing the same issue with a similar configuration: - Server running on a wired PC with Windows 7 - Client running on a wireless MacBook Pro with OSX 10.10.3 I've tried everything you have as well... Only thing left to try is ethernet but like you I'm too cheap to get one for just this. I'm like 6 feet from my router and it's in direct line of sight. Meh, there's $10 wasted. It would have been nice to get access to the latest downloads as a "trial" before throwing away money on it.
Justin Oryschak
I might as well add that I bought a PCIe TP-Link ethernet adapter for my PC and I still have the same issue. [quote="Michael Souza"] Meh, there's $10 wasted. It would have been nice to get access to the latest downloads as a "trial" before throwing away money on it.[/quote] Agreed - I'm not very hopeful that this is going to get resolved given the lack of response.
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Justin Oryschak
That did the trick! Thank you - I don't use github so I wasn't aware of the updates to that ticket. For what it's worth, my current configuration is: Server - Windows 10; Synergy 1.7.4 Client - OS X 10.11 Beta (15A243d); Synergy 1.7.4
Justin - thanks for following up. Hopefully Synergy will get this fixed soon. It's already marked as one of the "next" things they're going to work on, so I'm not sure there is anything more we can do at this stage.
  • 11 months later...
Justin Oryschak
Just checking in, this is still an issue on the Synergy nightlies & latest versions of OSX and Windows 10 and the ping method is still an effective though annoying workaround. Happy 1 year anniversary I guess? If anyone's aware of any official acknowledgment and plan to fix the issue I'd be grateful to see it.
  • 1 year later...