Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Initial Impressions

an offline mode should come, dont quote me on it tho.

more configuration in the GUI should come too.

like device management would be cool.

notification icon would be really usefull as well, this could also include quick settings.

I've not read all of the posts, so some of this may already be started and may even be in the plan for future releases.  Just sharing a views/ideas from brief use the beta, with the desire to support a product I've used for good while now and want to continue to succeed and improve over the coming years.

So just to clarify, the offline vs cloud question.  I see two components, the license verification and then there is configuration management.

Much like password managers, you have two breeds.  Those that use the cloud, that then must have add additional layers of security to protect their devices/data, as we've all seen the problems when one of those product sites gets hacked.  Then there are those that give the customer the option to control how and when they sync their data between devices, while they are more time consuming they work when you need them to and are as secure as the customer wants.

We then have network outages, whether from the internet, routers, local switches, cloud servers, they do occur. So any product that demands to have access to their servers on start-up (or then crashes/refuses to start/work) is not going to get good press and could damage the use of a product in the enterprise.  I've managed enough DR recoveries in my professional life, to know there are some types of equipment that just need to work no matter what condition your network is in and keyboards are pretty high on the list. :)

A solution (there are many I'm sure), would be that on start-up if there is no cloud access, to just use the last know configuration (maybe with manual configuration), and to retest for updates every X period of time (maybe in the order of 10's of minutes or hourly to prevent swamping the network).  While this doesn't solve the issue of never having internet access (eg for secure networks) it at least allows the product to work for everyone else.  A true offline mode, could be possible via either a similar method to 1.8 (useful for home or small installations) or by buying a server license from Synergy, to allow a large enterprise to run their own local management server (another possible revenue stream as well).

The fact that the product is a keyboard incept program, any mention of the cloud needs to be clearly clarified, to show what is and is not sent via the internet and how/what is stored on a remote server, etc. Hence the suggestion of being able to see devices and stored data from a web console (much as you can from a managed anti-virus client like Kaspersky or Symantec).

An interesting question that again may have been answered, is with the cloud use, will this allow some method of pushing updates to peoples machines, with some level of customer control but providing automated upgrading, vs manual download and install?

The Licensing question can be solved via a number of ways.  Just depends on which options are desired.  An option, if the intent is to offer yearly licensing as well as/or replacing version licensing, I'd suggest looking at the AV companies again and seeing how they manage licensing as it seems to work well.

I look forward to the next beta and seeing what is to come.

• Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
43 minutes ago, Neil said:

buying a server license from Synergy, to allow a large enterprise to run their own local management server (another possible revenue stream as well).

Way ahead of you! But I like the way your mind works.

44 minutes ago, Neil said:

The fact that the product is a keyboard incept program, any mention of the cloud needs to be clearly clarified, to show what is and is not sent via the internet and how/what is stored on a remote server, etc.

Only your local IPs and hostnames are sent to the cloud.

56 minutes ago, Neil said:

will this allow some method of pushing updates to peoples machines, with some level of customer control but providing automated upgrading, vs manual download and install?

Yes, this is a planned feature.

57 minutes ago, Neil said:

I look forward to the next beta and seeing what is to come.

Dynamic networking, stay tuned.