Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

DEBUG2: ignored "Client" on left of "Server"

After putting both machines to sleep, the server often outputs the above message (Title of ticket) and refuses to pass cursor control into client screen. Sometimes automagically resolves the issue, although often it forces me to reboot both computers. The setting 'ignore auto-configured clients' is unchecked on server, as is the 'auto config' option for client. Windows 7 server, Windows 8 client. After restarting both machines multiple times, and then upgrading both to use the current 1.7.3, this issue seems to have become permanent. I haven't been able to use Synergy for about 3 weeks now. It's a shame; when it works this is a great app, but it breaks as often as it doesn't... Can anyone please help me to understand what is happening so that I can fix it? Thanks!
Ben Koenig
That's not much fun. Can you capture a complete log output? That might give somebody more clues as to what happened. If it's a really long log file the attachment feature would be much easier. I've been dying to try it out! :ugeek: Sorry it's acting up.
There's really not much to it: Normal output, everything works fine... Put computer to sleep, wake back up, suddenly this sequence appears: NOTE: connecting to service... NOTE: connection established DEBUG2: ignored "Client" on left of "Server" DEBUG2: no neighbor on left of "Client" DEBUG1: try to leave "Server" on left DEBUG1: no neighbor left DEBUG2: find neighbor on left of "Server" DEBUG2: ignored "Client" on left of "Server" DEBUG2: no neighbor on left of "Client" DEBUG1: try to leave "Server" on left DEBUG1: no neighbor left DEBUG2: find neighbor on left of "Server" DEBUG2: ignored "Client" on left of "Server" DEBUG2: no neighbor on left of "Client" DEBUG1: try to leave "Server" on left DEBUG1: no neighbor left and so on ad infinitum....... To me, this seems like it would be pretty straightforward -- leading to the questions: What conditions could cause this message to appear? How can I correct those conditions? Is there any way to prevent Synergy from adopting this unwanted behavior in the face of whatever conditions are triggering it to act this way? And for my own curiosity: Why would anyone think this is good behavior, and for what cases could it actually be desirable? Thanks for your reply Ben, I do appreciate your assistance! I am just extremely frustrated after investing MANY hours dealing with this disruptive problem, which more than a few times has brought productive stretches of work to a screeching halt. It's to the point that it's compelling enough to stop using the program and just find a reliable alternative...
Ben Koenig
Well, that does seem like a strange thing for it to do.... So the computer you are putting to sleep is the Synergy Server? It seems obvious that for some reason the network connection between your systems is not getting re-established. I would be very interested on the log output of this "neighbor left of Server". Maybe it can't reconnect after going to sleep. I would definitely check to see if the client is turning itself off after the Server goes to sleep. By default Synergy Clients are supposed to attempt reconnecting until the Server starts up again. Maybe this isn't happening as intended? Also good questions are: - Are you on a wireless network? - Are both computers going to sleep?
Interestingly, Synergy is currently working normally again. I'll update this thread as soon as it does exhibits the behavior again, which is likely only a matter of time. I am on a wireless network, and this issue most often pops up when I've used the client for something outside of the range of the server's network or with the server sleeping -- although it has happened seemingly spontaneously as well.