Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Mulitple IP addresses

Any chance that I can get Synergy to work over a Ethernetw cable and assigned IP between two computers rather than via the Wireless network that connects them? The wireless can be laggy while the ethernet cable is a separate IP address I have only for Synergy.

AA_Anonymous

Does each computer have 2 IP addresses? You have WIFI enabled and receiving an address, plus you have ethernet plugged into each computer and receiving a different IP address? I know Mac computers do that but it's usually fixed by disabling WIFI.

4 hours ago, Frank K said:

Any chance that I can get Synergy to work over a Ethernetw cable and assigned IP between two computers rather than via the Wireless network that connects them? The wireless can be laggy while the ethernet cable is a separate IP address I have only for Synergy.

I think you'd have to use the command line usage method to get this working over one set IP for each machine, so it works over ethernet. https://github.com/symless/synergy-core/wiki/Command-Line

You could connect both computers to your network via ethernet?

If you want a closed connection you should indeed get the CLI or fall back to synergy1.

If you want to connect the computers inside the same network and connected via a ethernet cable, I think @Nick Bolton should take a look at this. its a very unique case since there are 2 ways of connecting to the other computer.

On 9/29/2017 at 11:25 AM, Frank K said:

The team is working on a significant change to the networking layer, particularly due to this sort of issue. You can expect that in beta5, but for now, beta4 is a "restart until you get lucky" build on linux.  I've had some luck in temporarily disabling my wifi on the laptop. YMMV.

The good news is that they're well aware of these issues and working to resolve them.

Edited by swaziloo
Clarify "on linux"
  • Like 1
Kelvin Tran
On 9/29/2017 at 1:25 PM, Frank K said:

On 9/29/2017 at 1:25 PM, Frank K said:

Doesn't Synergy 2 on Linux default to a "default network interface"? I haven't used Linux in years, so you Linux folks, please correct me if I'm wrong. But doesn't Linux depend on a "default network interface"? And last time I was experimenting with network configs in Ubuntu, the default network interface is wlan0. If you configure eth0 to be a default interface through a terminal of some sort, will Synergy 2 rely on that in order to establish a PAN for Synergy to work?

What @swaziloo says is definitely not wrong, beta5 will have at least a workaround if not a fix for this, but for now, is that a good workaround, Linux folks?

Kelvin Tran
13 hours ago, swaziloo said:

On linux, the server is binding to all interfaces. It also seems to be connecting to itself on any interfaces that match the client configuration. I'm sure one of the devs could explain the behavior better, but it was apparent from the word go that beta4 linux wasn't going to work well (if at all.) I've had just a little luck doing the restart shuffle to try and encourage it to luck out with the correct port, but mostly, it gets caught up connected to itself.

Like I said above, YMMV. I have docker running, which adds a handful of virtual interfaces that jumbles the whole thing around--a problem that's exacerbated by the fact that the virtual interfaces are the same on both machines. Your best bet is to scan the logs and/or local ports to see if there's anything you can tweak, and then hope a workable config gets sent through the cloud. I'm sure the networking layer in beta5 will determine "real" interfaces and avoid these circular connections.

Nobody likes waiting, but we've known all along that beta4 is "broken" on linux.

So, how does this affect Synergy usage?

If it binds to all network interfaces, wouldn't it be listening from all network interfaces? 

I'm not questioning that it doesn't work, I'm just sincerely wondering here how that affects Synergy itself, as it seems to be that binding to all network interfaces would allow it to listen to all of them. Is it getting confused as to what interface to start and maintain a connection on?

12 minutes ago, Kelvin Tran said:

So, how does this affect Synergy usage?

If it binds to all network interfaces, wouldn't it be listening from all network interfaces? 

I'm not questioning that it doesn't work, I'm just sincerely wondering here how that affects Synergy itself, as it seems to be that binding to all network interfaces would allow it to listen to all of them. Is it getting confused as to what interface to start and maintain a connection on?

I'm kinda making assumptions in my reverse-engineering, but it appears to me that the client->server connection seems to work fine. Server->client, however, isn't so good. It's connecting to itself a few times, but not connecting to the client.

I posted the details here: 

On 9/29/2017 at 3:48 PM, AA_Anonymous said:

Does each computer have 2 IP addresses? You have WIFI enabled and receiving an address, plus you have ethernet plugged into each computer and receiving a different IP address? I know Mac computers do that but it's usually fixed by disabling WIFI.

Each computer does have two IP addresses 1) WLAN - able to connect to the internet) and 2) point to point ethernet (only sees each other computer- manually assigned IP addresses and without access to the internet.

On 9/30/2017 at 7:24 PM, swaziloo said:

The team is working on a significant change to the networking layer, particularly due to this sort of issue. You can expect that in beta5, but for now, beta4 is a "restart until you get lucky" build on linux.  I've had some luck in temporarily disabling my wifi on the laptop. YMMV.

The good news is that they're well aware of these issues and working to resolve them.

Very cool. Thanks. 

In Synergy 1 I could "force" Synergy to connect between the two computers by not connecting to the Wireless LAN on one of them... thereby having Synergy find the hardwired ethernet connection between them, and only then turn on Wireless on the MBP. This would alleviate the lag if Synergy chose the wireless IP route instead.

Sounds like in future revisions it will send traceroutes or some sort of speed check between 2 routes and then use the faster connection? Anyway... will stick with it and see how it goes.

• 4 weeks later...