Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Does the Linux Troubleshooting Guide make the machine Server only?

AlexanderH

Followed the work around (using Jessie backports for ssl repo) in order to get synergy installed on debian 9 linux

Then I followed the troubleshooting guide as my linux machine was not being seen by my windows machine

Got the computers to see each other however whenever i try to make my windows machine the server I am unable to mouse over to my linux machine
if i use the linux machine as the server everything works fine but i would like to use my windows pc as it is my main machine and has the peripherals that i would prefer to use

Is this the expected behavior or should I be able to use my windows pc as a server with my linux laptop?

please let me know whether or not what i am experiencing is abnormal or expected with the current version and my setup

Can provide logs if this is a bug that is not expected behavior.

Thanks

Kelvin Tran
27 minutes ago, AlexanderH said:

Followed the work around (using Jessie backports for ssl repo) in order to get synergy installed on debian 9 linux

Then I followed the troubleshooting guide as my linux machine was not being seen by my windows machine

Got the computers to see each other however whenever i try to make my windows machine the server I am unable to mouse over to my linux machine
if i use the linux machine as the server everything works fine but i would like to use my windows pc as it is my main machine and has the peripherals that i would prefer to use

Is this the expected behavior or should I be able to use my windows pc as a server with my linux laptop?

please let me know whether or not what i am experiencing is abnormal or expected with the current version and my setup

Can provide logs if this is a bug that is not expected behavior.

Thanks

F12 is a hotkey in Synergy 2 mapped to a developer-centric function that makes the machine you're pressing it on the server. If you look in configuration logs, you will see that the service is making the machine server. The troubleshooting guide isn't worded the best, and you'd be forgiven for thinking that you need to press it on both machines. It was a workaround.

F12 will be removed, with behavioral learning (I believe?) replacing the F12 "force a server" function.

AlexanderH

Hey thanks for the quick response,

The reason that I was hitting f12 on both machines is that it seemed like neither machine was becoming the server
When I initially boot up synergy on both computers without striking f12 neither computer is able to send input to the other

If i strike f12 on the windows machine nothing changes, still cannot control either machine over synergy, when i strike f12 on the linux machine it is able to control the windows machine
if i then hit f12 on the windows machine it returns to how it was before, neither computer is able to control the other.

Kelvin Tran
2 minutes ago, AlexanderH said:

Hey thanks for the quick response,

The reason that I was hitting f12 on both machines is that it seemed like neither machine was becoming the server
When I initially boot up synergy on both computers without striking f12 neither computer is able to send input to the other

If i strike f12 on the windows machine nothing changes, still cannot control either machine over synergy, when i strike f12 on the linux machine it is able to control the windows machine
if i then hit f12 on the windows machine it returns to how it was before, neither computer is able to control the other.

So I presume the Windows machine is the one that you want to be the server?

AlexanderH

including logs from my most recent session

windows pc, which i would like to be the server

https://synergy-logs.symless.com/2017-10-01/152-2017-10-01T01-22-53.log

for some reason this is what happens when i try to copy the link from my linux machine (over synergy)

ℼ佄呃偙⁅呈䱍倠䉕䥌⁃ⴢ⼯㍗⽃䐯䑔䠠䵔⁌⸴⼰䔯≎∠瑨灴⼺眯睷眮⸳牯⽧剔刯䍅栭浴㑬⼰瑳楲瑣搮摴㸢㰊瑨汭㰾敨摡㰾敭慴渠浡㵥焢楲档整瑸•潣瑮湥㵴ㄢ•㸯洼瑥⁡瑨灴攭畱癩∽潃瑮湥⵴祔数•潣瑮湥㵴琢硥⽴瑨汭※档牡敳㵴瑵ⵦ∸⼠㰾瑳汹⁥祴数∽整瑸振獳㸢瀊‬楬笠眠楨整猭慰散›牰ⵥ牷灡※੽⼼瑳汹㹥⼼敨摡㰾潢祤ਾ瀼猠祴敬∽洠牡楧⵮潴㩰瀰㭸洠牡楧⵮潢瑴浯〺硰※慭杲湩氭晥㩴瀰㭸洠牡楧⵮楲桧㩴瀰㭸ⴠ瑱戭潬正椭摮湥㩴㬰琠硥⵴湩敤瑮〺硰∻㰾ⴡ匭慴瑲牆条敭瑮ⴭ栾瑴獰⼺猯湹牥祧氭杯⹳祳汭獥⹳潣⽭〲㜱ㄭⴰ㄰ㄯ㈵㈭㄰ⴷ〱〭吱㄰㈭ⴵ㜰氮杯ℼⴭ湅䙤慲浧湥⵴㸭⼼㹰⼼潢祤㰾栯浴㹬

it is really
https://synergy-logs.symless.com/2017-10-01/152-2017-10-01T01-25-07.log

not even the slightest idea of where those characters are coming from

AlexanderH
4 minutes ago, Kelvin Tran said:

So I presume the Windows machine is the one that you want to be the server?

Yeah, if that is possible on the current version.
Otherwise i am perfectly content to wait :)

Kelvin Tran
6 minutes ago, AlexanderH said:

Yeah, if that is possible on the current version.
Otherwise i am perfectly content to wait :)

So let me get my head straight while I'm reading these logs. Your situation is that you want Windows to be server, but you can only use Synergy 2 when Linux is the server? By the way, your 25-07 link is broken. It leads to 22-53 as well.

Edited by Kelvin Tran
AlexanderH
Just now, Kelvin Tran said:

So let me get my head straight while I'm reading these logs. Your situation is that you want Windows to be server, but you can only use Synergy 2 when Linux is the server?

Yes this is correct

Kelvin Tran

Yes this is correct

Perhaps there is something that is blocking a successful connection from Synergy 2 on the Windows side. Are you running heuristic-based firewall systems or anything that could potentially block certain connections from other devices on a LAN?

AlexanderH
Just now, Kelvin Tran said:

Perhaps there is something that is blocking a successful connection from Synergy 2 on the Windows side. Are you running heuristic-based firewall systems or anything that could potentially block certain connections from other devices on a LAN?

Tried disabling my firewall, no help
The laptop that I am using has dual boot setup (windows 10 and debian 9).
The last time i used it with windows 10 on the laptop and it worked perfectly just cant seem to get it to work with debian

Kelvin Tran

Woah, wait, what?

1 minute ago, AlexanderH said:

Tried disabling my firewall, no help
The laptop that I am using has dual boot setup (windows 10 and debian 9).
The last time i used it with windows 10 on the laptop and it worked perfectly just cant seem to get it to work with debian

Describe your hardware scenario?

What two devices are you trying to get Synergy 2 to work with? Describe the dual-booting scenario, please.

AlexanderH

My desktop computer is running windows 10, *edit* I just remembered my desktop has a similar setup to my laptop and can boot into linux mint, dont use linux as much on my desktop as i do on my laptop

my laptop is running the grub bootloader and can boot into windows or debian

both computers are connected to the same router over wifi

Anything specific that you would like to know?

Edited by AlexanderH
forgot that i dual boot on my desktop too
Kelvin Tran

My desktop computer is running windows 10,

my laptop is running the grub bootloader and can boot into windows or debian

both computers are connected to the same router over wifi

Anything specific that you would like to know?

Yes. In the previous post you made before you made this post, you had said you got it working in Windows but not Debian.

Can you describe the differences in environment besides the operating system and kernel differences?

Edited by Kelvin Tran
AlexanderH
5 minutes ago, Kelvin Tran said:

Yes. In the previous post you made before you made this post, you had said you got it working in Windows but not Debian.

Can you describe the differences in environment besides the operating system and kernel differences?

Ah well i had it working with no differences to the windows desktop

the difference was that i was running windows 10 on the laptop as well (instead of linux), will boot into that now to confirm that it is still working.

Edited by AlexanderH
grammar, specifics
AlexanderH

Well, for some reason it is no longer working on windows 10 at all....
Although it wasn't installed on my laptop when I got onto it
I just upgraded from windows 8 and thought I had already installed synergy... Sorry I'm so disorganized :S i have done a tonne of platform migration recently and my brain is now melting xD
its 210am here so let me get some sleep so that i can attack this with some brain power tomorrow

thanks for all of your help so far Kelvin

Kelvin Tran
5 minutes ago, AlexanderH said:

Well, for some reason it is no longer working on windows 10 at all....
Although it wasn't installed on my laptop when I got onto it
I just upgraded from windows 8 and thought I had already installed synergy... Sorry I'm so disorganized :S i have done a tonne of platform migration recently and my brain is now melting xD
its 210am here so let me get some sleep so that i can attack this with some brain power tomorrow

thanks for all of your help so far Kelvin

No problem. However, due to it being 1 in the morning over here, my assistance stops here for now. Because Symless is based in the UK, maybe one of them can help out, but not me at the moment. Sorry.

AlexanderH

It was bugging me so I did a little more digging and I figured it out...
and I'm disappointed in myself, must be too tired for computers
turns out you were totally right it was the firewall on my windows machine, it did work before I have absolutely no idea what changed
but when i disabled it for troubleshooting it turns out i disabled the domain firewall. Since this is my home network and it is a private network the firewall stayed up
guess i just didnt look at the screen hard enough
Ill add the rules to make synergy play nice with windows firewall later

sorry for wasting your time, thanks for all of the help, one of the reasons i love synergy is the super friendly people who run it :)

Kelvin Tran

It was bugging me so I did a little more digging and I figured it out...
and I'm disappointed in myself, must be too tired for computers
turns out you were totally right it was the firewall on my windows machine, it did work before I have absolutely no idea what changed
but when i disabled it for troubleshooting it turns out i disabled the domain firewall. Since this is my home network and it is a private network the firewall stayed up
guess i just didnt look at the screen hard enough
Ill add the rules to make synergy play nice with windows firewall later

sorry for wasting your time, thanks for all of the help, one of the reasons i love synergy is the super friendly people who run it :)

No problem. I haven't fallen asleep yet, so I saw this. It makes me happy that I was able to help you. Happy productivity! So it works now, right?

Edited by Kelvin Tran