Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Starting synergy automatically?

UncleOilybag

Trying to use Synergy2 with Linux (Mint 18.1) as server and Windows 10 as client

When I used Synergy 1.8 I only had to use ONE mouse and ONE keyboard because Synergy autostarted with linux before even logging in as a user ( by having a .desktop file in the /xtc/xdg/autostart folder)  and in Windows the synergy service must have started before I logged in - so I could use the mouse and keyboard to log in to my windows screen too.

Now however, I have to use a second keyboard/mouse to login to Windows because it seems that synergy2 doesn't start until after login. Is this teething trouble or have I got a setting wrong?

GranPaSmurf

Just for a little clarification, you are not yet using Synergy 2. That's not a product yet. You have loaded an incompletely developed version released to test parts of Synergy 2 that have been coded so far. In fact, a lot of the code in beta 4 has been stripped out and fully rewritten in the pending beta version 5.

Your purchase, however, supports the continued development of Synergy 2 and gets you financial consideration when Synergy 2 is marketed. Lots of participants have 'bought in' to the beta testing program but stepped back to the stable version. They are still able to give a quick test of each new beta version as it drops and keep it if it works for them, or drop back. 

If you have beta 4 working on Mint, Kudos! beta 4 really didn't like my Kubuntu 17.04. I am one of those who stepped back to 1.8, anxiously waiting for version 5. Nick has focused it on making sure it works well for Linux distros.

The beta 5 is expected to be able to autostart.