Hello! đź‘‹

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

How does Synergy 2 work?

Is there a description available on how the tool works? 

#1 What data is send to the cloud? Files in Clipboard? Clipboard content?

#2 Is there a way to keep everything in the local network for more security?

• Like 1
GranPaSmurf

It is my understanding that the cloud connection just reads such things as the IP address and such. It configures an SSL connection. Nothing is stored. Future development is that Synergy won't need to connect each time. Also, future development is a hard-wire connection/autoconfiguration for the first config. I have no time/date/version prediction.

This compulsorily cloud component is a huge pain for people inside corporate networks as well. It doesn't look like we will be able to update to 2.0.

I use synergy 1 heavily in our data center and this Cloud connect if definitely a no no.. Currently testing 2.0 beta 4 and it just wont connect, I can see my 2 system in the app but one of them keeps on showing a progress bar.

Right the cloud sync will be kind of a bigger issue for me behind my cooperate proxy and firewall as well.

So far no chance to connect - which I like since nobody can tell what data is transferred to the cloud.

Would be nice to have an offline only mode even if it needs some manual configuration.

jaap aarts

1: the cloud stores the config, thats all.

2: I hope they are going to make local config servers available. but for now synergy-core is your only option for this

• Like 1
Daniel OBrien

Security is the main question about the cloud part of it.  Any information would be appreciated... Not much feedback from Symless I see...

• 3 weeks later...

I'd also like to see some transparency (documentation) around any data sent to the cloud. Given that this is essentially a key logger, there will be scrutiny when we request to install this.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
8 minutes ago, busrid3r said:

I'd also like to see some transparency (documentation) around any data sent to the cloud. Given that this is essentially a key logger, there will be scrutiny when we request to install this.

No keystrokes are sent to the cloud. Only IP addresses.

• Like 1