Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Choppy mouse movement on Mac connected to PC server

GranPaSmurf

Is this still happening? I've had this experience on my older computers when something else was drawing down resources, like a scheduled anti-virus scan. Could this be happening in your setup?

Yes it’s still happening. I don’t have any heavy stuff running. It’s only about a year old. The other MBP where it works smoothly was provided by my work and is a more recent model. But I run similar software on both except no antivirus on my personal MBP. Maybe I’ll try quitting apps one by one to see if there’s a culprit. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just upgraded to Beta 5. The initial connection is great... didn't have to relaunch anything to have all the computers connected. However, the one MBP is still very choppy. The other MBP is really smooth. I can't figure out what the difference is. I run much of the same apps on both. When the choppy MBP gets focus, the first few seconds are smooth, then it gets choppy.

Logs here: https://synergy-logs.symless.com/2017-10-30/4444-2017-10-30T11-37-53.log

Hmm, at first I could not. I then turned off stealth mode. However, the choppy MBP has a very erratic resposne time, 1 ms or 100+ ms, while the smooth one has < 1 ms response as expected on my local net. I guess that's the cause. The choppy one is on WIFI while the smooth one is on ethernet. Is it normal for it to be this choppy on WIFI? It's a 2016 MBP 15", so it's got a pretty recent WIFI chip.

I option-clicked the WIFI icon in the menu bar in the choppy MBP and it's showing 5GHz, 80 MHz, Tx Rate 1300 Mbps, 802.11ac. Noise -90 dBm, RSSI -36 dBm. In case any of this helps.

Just tried putting both MBPs on WIFI (the smooth one was on Ethernet using a USB-C to Ethernet adapter) and now both are choppy. Not sure if it's my router, it's a Netgear R7000. I've rebooted it a few times already. Any suggestions?

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

There's actually a bug in macOS where it allows some apps to disrupt your wifi adapter. Try closing all apps other than Synergy to see which one is causing it. Run a constant ping in the background. Also, I find that clicking on the macOS wifi status icon also causes the ping spikes (because the OS is querying the hardware, I presume).

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
18 hours ago, gee4vee said:

DB Browser for SQLite

I think it's because they use Qt. It has this annoying bug (QTBUG-40332).

If you feel like doing them a favor, you could send them this code snippet (this is how we fixed it).

// Workaround for QTBUG-40332 "High ping when QNetworkAccessManager is instantiated"
#if defined (Q_OS_WIN)
    _putenv_s ("QT_BEARER_POLL_TIMEOUT", "-1");
#else
    setenv ("QT_BEARER_POLL_TIMEOUT", "-1", 1);
#endif

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
22 minutes ago, gee4vee said:

Thanks, I opened an issue on their GitHub.

Awesome, I'm sure they'll appreciate that.