Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy 2 loses ability to click in client (same as Synergy 1.8)

the same issue i had in my post to Synergy 1 > self-support titled "Synergy loses ability to click in client" still exists in Synergy 2.

My desktop at work (on a domain) runs a variety of software but only one consistently causes me to lose the ability to click in the client (my laptop not on the domain), Visual Studio (and it seems any version from 2010 to 2015).  If i have a copy of visual studio up and it is in the foreground and i move my mouse cursor to the client, I will often lose the ability to click on anything in the client until i return to the server and bring some other program to the foreground (not Visual Studio).  Once i bring another program to the foreground (e.g. chrome), i can then return to the client and click will work like normal.

• Like 1
Ryan Waggoner

This was literally the only reason I grabbed Synergy 2.
Very disappointed to be reading this.

I guess this is slightly better than having to restart the client to get the clicks back.

• Like 1

I find that I do not need to restart the client or server (synergy service that is) but just click on a program that is not the offending program (in my case Visual Studio).  I find that if i just bring something like Chrome to the foreground on the server the clicks start to work in the client again.

GranPaSmurf

I've occasionally (rarely) seen this in ver 1. When a program had focus and I moved the cursor to another computer, it was not clickable. If I went back to the server and clicked on the desktop, took the focus off the window of the running program, then when the cursor moved to another computer I had full mouse functions. I don't recall having this happen when I was testing beta 4. (I'm back to ver 1.8, waiting on beta 5 because of my Kubuntu client)

This will be something to watch for when beta testing beta 5.

I have not yet experienced this with Beta 2, how ever I just started running it and haven't been back to my main office where this happens ALL THE TIME in version 1...  

As others have noted, moving the mouse back to the server and clicking usually fixes the problem until it happens again.   I have not been able to determine an exact causality, so I can't precisely duplicate it...  it just happens...

i can routinely get this behavior to occur by running Visual Studio (2010) on my server, have it be the foreground application with a project open and the code window up, and moving mouse to client.  I won't say it is 100% but high 80-90%.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this problem as well (with Synergy 1.8), with Visual Studio 2017, BUT ONLY when I am debugging with Visual Studio on my main machine, I start debugging my .net program, and while I'm waiting for it to load, run, do whatever, I move my mouse to another computer monitor, and then, while my mouse is OFF the main computer, the breakpoint triggers in Visual Studio (running as administrator for a web app) on the main computer.  My mouse will continue to work on the other computer, but as soon as I try to move it back to the main computer to debug the breakpoint, boom, at that point I loose my mouse and it's dead.  I have to be patient and after a minute or two or so, I finally regain control.

What's interesting is if I ctrl-alt-del, I get my blue screen on the main computer and the mouse does work! I can choose cancel, the original screen comes back, but the mouse is still dead and I have to patient until it comes back.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
1 minute ago, pat9000 said:

I have this problem as well (with Synergy 1.8), with Visual Studio 2017, BUT ONLY when I am debugging with Visual Studio on my main machine, I start debugging my .net program, and while I'm waiting for it to load, run, do whatever, I move my mouse to another computer monitor, and then, while my mouse is OFF the main computer, the breakpoint triggers in Visual Studio (running as administrator for a web app) on the main computer.  My mouse will continue to work on the other computer, but as soon as I try to move it back to the main computer to debug the breakpoint, boom, at that point I loose my mouse and it's dead.  I have to be patient and after a minute or two or so, I finally regain control.

What's interesting is if I ctrl-alt-del, I get my blue screen on the main computer and the mouse does work! I can choose cancel, the original screen comes back, but the mouse is still dead and I have to patient until it comes back.

Do you see this issue in Synergy 2 beta5?

3 minutes ago, Nick Bolton said:

Do you see this issue in Synergy 2 beta5?

I have not yet tried ver 2.  When I read it still didn't have the multi monitor support I wanted, I didn't install it.  I've learned, 'mostly', to not move to another computer when debugging.  I will see about finding time to install ver 2 and give it a shot.  I just wanted to post more info if others are still experiencing this on ver 2 in the event it might better help you duplicate it.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
1 minute ago, pat9000 said:

When I read it still didn't have the multi monitor support I wanted, I didn't install it. 

What do you mean specifically? Synergy supports multiple monitors.

2 minutes ago, Nick Bolton said:

What do you mean specifically? Synergy supports multiple monitors.

In the other thread, I wanted the ability to better map exactly where my monitors are so the cursor stops jumping around when I move across dissimilar boundaries.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
Just now, pat9000 said:

In the other thread, I wanted the ability to better map exactly where my monitors are so the cursor stops jumping around when I move across dissimilar boundaries.

Ah, but Synergy 1 doesn't do this either. I guess you don't want the hassle of updating with no added benefit?

2 minutes ago, Nick Bolton said:

Ah, but Synergy 1 doesn't do this either. I guess you don't want the hassle of updating with no added benefit?

In a way, that was the single most important thing I wanted and it wasn't there.  I cross boundaries all day long.  My only other issue was this vs debugger thing and it didn't seem like that was solved either. The debugger issue hits me rarely since usually my breakpoints trigger fast enough that I don't have time to go to another computer.  I thought I would leave well enough alone and just continue to be patient for the more advanced multi monitor feature and other hopeful fixes.

I have been using Synergy 2 beta 5 for a day and a half so far without losing the ability to click in the client.  I have had Visual Studio in the foreground of my server machine which (in the old Synergy) would normally cause my issue with lose of click.  So far so good, will update if anything changes.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
32 minutes ago, James Fee said:

So far so good, will update if anything changes.

Sounds good! Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

I think I might have experienced my first loss of click today but it was fixed when i just moved my mouse from client to server and back again (did not have to do anything on the server box).  Much better than the old bug but i will wait to see if it occurs again.

• Like 1

I confirm loss of click-ability on client machine when Chrome is in focus on server prior to moving from server to client. Only by moving mouse back to server, un-focusing Chrome by clicking on desktop, then moving mouse back to client, am I able to perform clicks on client (Mac OS X) again. This is all with the latest Beta 5 on both machines. @Nick Bolton

I suspect Chrome and a few other apps have some kind of elevated shell UI regarding focus/background status that is interfering with Synergy.

Edited by atwixtor
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
2 minutes ago, atwixtor said:

This is all with the latest Beta 5 on both machines.

Did you try RC1?

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
Just now, atwixtor said:

Confirmed that it is still a problem with Chrome in RC1.

Did you see this in Synergy 1?

Just now, Nick Bolton said:

Did you see this in Synergy 1?

No. In Synergy 1 there was never any problem with Chrome. The only time I lost focus in S1 was when the server (Windows) went to sleep, requiring the CNTRL+ALT+DELETE workaround. In fact, in S1 Chrome never lost focus like it does in S2 RC1 when switching to client.