Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Use Synergy2 without internet?

Hi-ho,

Just installed 2 Beta 4, been a V1.* user for ages..

Is it going to be possible to use V2 without using the cloud service?

All of my use of synergy is at home where we are on a very slow/unstable rural connection or at work on a secure network where I can not connect to arbitrary web services.

I'm just trying to get it working here at home and it appears my net connection is not up to to the task, as one of the machines never goes green.. Reading the trouble shooting guide now but a little concerned that one of my favourite utils might be not much use to me in the future.

Cheers, Chris H.

Got it working by kicking my daughter off the Wifi. :-)

Noted in the log windows on the ubuntu end after the daemon crashed.

[ Config ] [2017-10-14T23:07:39] ERROR: Reply status code: 400
[ Config ] [2017-10-14T23:07:39] ERROR: Reply error message: stale-config
[ Config ] [2017-10-14T23:08:03] ERROR: Reply status code: 400
[ Config ] [2017-10-14T23:08:03] ERROR: Reply error message: stale-config

Not sure what that's about.

Using a Ubuntu desktop 'master' and Windows 8.1 laptop 'slave' I also use a macbook as a slave, I'll try that tomorrow.

Cheers, Chris H.

GranPaSmurf
1 hour ago, kiwichrish said:

Hi-ho,

I'm just trying to get it working here at home and it appears my net connection is not up to to the task, as one of the machines never goes green.. Reading the trouble shooting guide now but a little concerned that one of my favourite utils might be not much use to me in the future.

Cheers, Chris H.

Chris, Although Synergy 2 will ultimately replace version 1 in the marketplace, it's not likely to happen for a long - long while. Even then, it doesn't mean version 1 will stop working. The idea of a peer 2 peer auto-configuration, maybe by CAT wire, has been kicked around on this forum but if it happens it will be long after version 2.0 is a stand-alone new product. T

o add to the mix of issues for your setup, unfortunately, beta 4 just doesn't like Linux distros. Though, there are some power-users on this forum that have working installs. Skim the posts and the stickies at the top of the forum. Beyond Nick's early troubleshooting comments: https://symless.com/synergy-2-beta4-troubleshooting and  https://symless.com/forums/topic/3880-linux-users-beta4-needs-extra-config/#comment-15922  there's just not much to offer except to wait for beta 5. And skimming the posts on this forum. Beta 5 should drop in the next couple of weeks.  

As to the cloud connection, It is my understanding that the initial connection takes a bit longer. That is when the credentials from each computer are exchanged and a secure connection is configured. In subsequent connections, if the profile of each machine has not changed, then it's a quick verify and out. Nothing is stored on the cloud server.

On your setup, as is, if both have connected and show a green simulated screen in the UI, try swapping the server to the other computer. Press F12 on the one you desire to be the server. You can easily go back.

Hi Kringle..   

Per my second post I did get it going with Ubuntu 16.04 master / Win8.1 slave..  I'm prepared to go through a fair bit of messing about at home to have it working as i really like the solution but at work I'll have to stick with V1.*.  

And, having said that, after multiple restarts this morning I couldn't get the windows machine or linux box to come green, let or loan see each other. :-)

Going back to 1.* for the moment and will check again when the next beta is out..  (The extra $15 does not worry me, was already a paid user and like the product.)

• Like 1

I wish I had thought to check those requirements before purchasing as well - I'm much in the same position as the OP, in that my only internet connection is a very slow DSL.  I can get one computer to connect, or the other....but not both.  Frankly I'm kind of surprised that the local network idea was "kicked around" but not adopted - requiring a constant internet connection to connect two local computers is an absolute waste of bandwidth, regardless of how fast someone's connection is.  From a security standpoint, with the amount of access that Synergy already has to my system, a constant phoning home terrifies me.

• Like 1

"I wish I had thought to check those requirements before purchasing as well - I'm much in the same position as the ..."  Im in same situation too...

My  Securty Systems don not have any Internet connection , and i can not use Synergy 2.0  beta . I hope Symless do any Offline Resolution . 

I just want to add that there are a huge number of reasons why someone would not want some machines to be connected to the internet. The list of reasons is giant and not at all limited to security, connectivity or license problems.

• 2 weeks later...