Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Blocked by Router - Sophos UTM

It appears that my router / firewall is blocking Synergy from starting.  What external ports / protocols are required for Synergy 2 to function?  When I switched networks and restarted the service, Synergy connected immediately, but on my other network, protected by Sophos, it appears that I need to open some things up.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't have Synergy 2 yet, but I don't know of any official word on what ports are used. You'd likely be better off using system tools to determine what ports are being bound by the service.

If you are on Windows you can try the following in an elevated command prompt: netstat -a -b

Other tools may be a better option to check this though.

Just tested an any/any rule for outbound comms through my perimeter firewall and it works now, but obviously can't leave that in-place.  As @KairuByte wrote, I guess I'm going to have to do some port sniffing at the firewall level to determine what needs to be opened, unless Symless publishes it. :)  Pretty please?  Ports / Protocol (assuming TCP), and target?

I'm a little confused by your setup. You talk about both your router/perimeter firewall and Sophos which I am guessing will be a host-based software firewall.

Most of the network traffic is local between your devices. For Windows devices you do need to add some rules the following thread should help with that:

It does however make an external connection to Symless servers to retrieve your cloud profile. This is an outgoing connection made using https and port 8081 which should work with any stateful firewall.

Edited by IT Troll
jaap aarts

right now its kind of a mess with all the ports, they didnt put the production ports in, aka everything will be blocked by a decent firewall, beta 5 shouldnt have this problem and will use port 80 for cumunication to the symless servers.

3 hours ago, jaap aarts said:

right now its kind of a mess with all the ports, they didnt put the production ports in, aka everything will be blocked by a decent firewall, beta 5 shouldnt have this problem and will use port 80 for cumunication to the symless servers.

Standard insecure http? I hope not. 

• 2 weeks later...