Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

[Beta5] Experiences, Troubleshooting, Tips/Tricks, Discussion

Results of upgrading to Beta5  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Have your issues increased, decreased or had no change in Beta5 when compared to Beta4?

Figured I'd start a thread similar to the Beta4 "Preliminary Troubleshooting" thread to keep everything concise and easy to follow.

Here is my Beta5 experience so far:

• I did NOT uninstall my firewall rules prior to running the install so I decided to completely uninstall Beta5 and then re-install from scratch for good measure. I used CCleaner from Piriform and also manually looked for any traces in %Program Files%, etc. If you use CCleaner, make sure to run a registry scan as it did fine missing application paths, etc. and removed them cleanly. (NOTE: I did have to manually remove all Synergy related firewall rules even after running the uninstaller from CCleaner I wasn't able to delete the rule and after the message closed the rule disappeared so it might just have been a case of the firewall rules window needing a 'refresh' and it was in fact removed properly by the uninstall procedure)
  • I then re-installed on my desktop (server) and laptop (client) without making ANY additional changes and was able to use my mouse/keyboard between both machines.
  • HOWEVER, if I reboot the server, I will not be able to control the client until I restart the Synergy service on the server (you'd think a reboot would fix this). The cursor will move over to the client screen, but I WILL NOT be able to click on anything.
    • This was happening under v1.8.8 as well as Beta4.

That's all for now.

EDIT: As for the poll, even though I still experience bullet #3, the fact that I don't have to restart the Synergy service on both machines each and every time one of my machines is rebooted, I voted decreased. We're moving in the right direction.

Edited by Ilya
Steffen W Soerensen

Now Synergy can see the other computer, in spite of issues connecting to background service a few times. But still nothing happens when I press F12 on either my MacOSX HIgh Sierra nor my Fedora27, reverted back to 1.8.8 which works while waiting for +beta5 :)

Cheryl Lomedico

Posted this in the other area relating to Beta5:

Installs on Win10 and Mac (Sierra) went smooth...  synergy desktop kept restarting in task manager. Had to stop it for Windows client to install. Had to reboot for both to see each other. 

so it has been about 15 mins... I will update if there are issues throughout the day.

Cheryl Lomedico

Had my first issue:  Mac has a lock out after idle time.  Mouse and keyboard are setup on Win10 and shared over to the Mac.  When I tried to move the mouse over to the Mac, it didn't allow me to "transfer" control.

I didn't grab the logs yet from the Win10 client. I will next time.

I closed/force quit clients on both platforms then re-opened.

Gonna dump this here, I'm kinda starting to see issues I did not have before I upgraded to beta5

• For some reason* the service on my keyboard and mouse host crashes randomly.
    It recovers pretty quickly, after it does the [Left Click] results in a [Middle Mouse Clock] sometimes and I have to restart the service again.
  • Similarly the clipboard sharing does not work with satisfying stability.
    Restarting the service fixes it in 3 out of 10 cases, everything else (keys and clicks) aren't affected tho.

Will update this post as I gather more experiences during testing.

Overall I'd say things have gotten worse. Especially the crashes aren't really helpful, I am thinking about reverting to b4 again, even considered downgrading to 1.x

* I will gladly provide any logs of course that might help identify the problem.

Edited by Kazu

Okay, looks like I cannot edit my own posts any more so I'll just re-post the updated one here.
Hopefully someone can help resolve this issue...

-------

Gonna dump this here, I'm kinda starting to see issues I did not have before I upgraded to beta5

• For some reason* the service on my keyboard and mouse host crashes randomly.
    It recovers pretty quickly, after it does the [Left Click] results in a [Middle Mouse Clock] sometimes and I have to restart the service again.
  • Similarly the clipboard sharing does not work with satisfying stability.
    Restarting the service fixes it in 3 out of 10 cases, everything else (keys and clicks) aren't affected tho.
  • I can somewhat reproduce the clipboard not working when I try to copy a specific text from Wikipedia.
    This works: "technologies"
    This does not: "sciences et technologies de l'industrie et du développement durable (Industrial Science and Technologies and sustainable development, STI2D)"
    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_education_in_France
    Might it have to do with rich text stuff?

Will update this post as I gather more experiences during testing.

Overall I'd say things have gotten worse. Especially the crashes aren't really helpful, I am thinking about reverting to b4 again, even considered downgrading to 1.x

* I will gladly provide any logs of course that might help identify the problem.

Cheryl Lomedico

Issue: Copy/paste from server using Remote Desktop Connection Manager on Win10 box to slack app on Mac OS X - copied info is not captured or looks like the clipboard loses the information.

Also transition between computers is choppy - seems like it can't find the cursor path

closed synergy on both and re-opened.

Mac OS - https://synergy-logs.symless.com/2017-10-31/7858-2017-10-31T12-24-14.log

Win10 - https://synergy-logs.symless.com/2017-10-31/7858-2017-10-31T12-25-12.log

Copy/paste just now worked with the links... tried again with the RDCM copy/paste and it didn't work

K. small update (tho it's not a happy one): 
In the mean time the whole setup stopped working completely and I was unable to fix anything by resetting the services etc.

Long story short: I had to go back to Synergy 1.x because I really need to work on stuff and was rather sure things wouldn't get works with the new beta.
I'll very likely try testing S2 beta again once a newer version gets released.
Keep up up the good work, Devs, I am sure you'll fix those remaining issues too tho (:

I voted decreased. Still feels like a long way from RC though.

Improvements:

• Prior to installation I removed all my manual firewall rules and let the installer do it's thing. The installer added the required Windows Firewall rule and connections were made without needing any intervention.
  • Re-connection seem to be better, but not perfect. Seems to be 50/50 whether you will will have control after lock/sleep/wake. Re-launching the GUI sometimes helps to re-established control.
  • Now uses SSL.

No Change:

• Cannot relaunch the GUI on the Mac.
  • Cursor appears on the centre of the screen of the Windows PC whilst controlling the Mac.
  • Intermittent clipboard sharing. Sometimes refuses to work. Sometimes only works in one direction.
  • Display names still too short

Just an update - copy/paste was working for me this morning, but has since stopped. I tried closing/reopening the apps on both but that didn't fix. Didn't reboot both yet, but will try that next. Just curious if anyone else is having copy/paste issues with beta 5. Thanks!

Swervedriver

I've had no good results with B5 sadly. Not much time to troubleshoot as I use it for work although I did go through the steps in the troubleshooting thread, uninstall, clean up registry/prefs, reinstall. 

iMac running 10.13.1 - synergry never stable, immediate problem connecting to background service.

Windows 10 1703 - synergy will be stable for a few minutes and appear to be polling screens then , problem connecting to background service

When using copy and paste between different platforms I find that success or failure can depend on which applications you are using. I suspect this has something to do with the encoding format. Sometimes if you convert the data to plain text first then copy and paste will work. However, there are also occasions when it just refuses to work at all. 

Edited by IT Troll
6 hours ago, IT Troll said:

When using copy and paste between different platforms I find that success or failure can depend on which applications you are using. I suspect this has something to do with the encoding format. Sometimes if you convert the data to plain text first then copy and paste will work. However, there are also occasions when it just refuses to work at all. 

I'll try that tomorrow. I thought most of my stuff was plain text, but who knows. Thanks!

10 hours ago, Swervedriver said:

I've had no good results with B5 sadly. Not much time to troubleshoot as I use it for work although I did go through the steps in the troubleshooting thread, uninstall, clean up registry/prefs, reinstall. 

iMac running 10.13.1 - synergry never stable, immediate problem connecting to background service.

Windows 10 1703 - synergy will be stable for a few minutes and appear to be polling screens then , problem connecting to background service

I have a similar problem on a MacBook Air running El Capitan

Why can't I attach he log file as a text file?

[ Config  ] [2017-11-02T09:13:19] debug: rpc keep alive failed
[ Config  ] [2017-11-02T09:13:24] debug: rpc keep alive failed
[ Config  ] [2017-11-02T09:13:29] debug: rpc keep alive failed
[ Config  ] [2017-11-02T09:13:34] debug: rpc keep alive failed
[ Config  ] [2017-11-02T09:13:39] debug: rpc keep alive failed
[ Config  ] [2017-11-02T09:13:44] debug: rpc keep alive failed
[ Config  ] [2017-11-02T09:13:47] INFO: Sending log file...
Edited by Naturofix

I did not try Beta-4 and rolled back from Beta-5 to 1.8 after about an hour.

My feedback regarding beta-5:

Positive:

• I did not have to configure any of my three W10 machines. They connected just fine and I could switch desktops.

Negative:

• Since it is not possible to configure the individual screen positions and hotkeys are not configurable yet, I could only switch to another machine by moving my mouse to one of the top screens and then leaving that screen to the left/right. With my bottom screen being my main work screen in a setup with six asymmetrically placed screens, this takes way too long and is too cumbersome. Hotkeys however would have been enough for me until 2.2. 

• I am a game developer and often use the secondary machines to run tests. In 1.8 it is necessary for many games to enable screen lock in order to prevent the camera from going haywire (by spinning like crazy). After taking the time to find the hotkey for screen locking in beta-5 and locking it, the game camera still showed said broken behavior. This would prevent me from permanently updating to version 2. It worked in V1.8 though so we should be able to get this fixed.

I am tempted to chime in with the majority and say that this beta release is not really something that should have gone out to the public. It seems a bit like Symless was pressed for money and felt the need to offer early access as a compensation for early adopters. The problem with the bad state of V2 now is that you are basically disappointing/angering the most loyal parts of your customer base. I don't feel that this was a good move. I am pretty sure I won't touch another beta version of V2.

I love being an early adopter, but as it stands now, I have paid for something that I can not use, I need to spend time to fix my setup and I have to report back to Symless so that there is a least a chance of V2 becoming something good. Two unpaid hours down the drain. And no, I am not mad. Just trying to give some perspective and feedback.

I'll check back when there is a release candidate.

Good luck,

Patrick

Swervedriver
16 hours ago, Swervedriver said:

Just reporting back on my experiences. Gave my already installed Beta5 one more show this morning, fired it up on my windows box (pressed F12), then fired up the mac and wham its working just as it should. 

Perhaps there was some back end issue that was remedied? Voodoo? 

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
9 hours ago, Swervedriver said:

Perhaps there was some back end issue that was remedied? Voodoo? 

Probably good luck. We're fixing a bug which crashes the background service. It's due tomorrow.