Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Improve UI Labels

Improve UI Labels  

13 members have voted

1. 1. I would like:

• Improved labels and icons.
    • Just improved labels.
    • No change, it is fine as it is.

The labels for computers in the UI are very short (7 characters plus 3 dots). In corporate environments naming conventions may mean that computers are indistinguishable. I suggest the following improvements:

1. Allow the user to enter a custom nickname of 10 characters.
  2. Display the full name in a pop-up when hovering over.
  3. Have different icons or colours for different operating systems and an indicator showing which is the current master.

All good suggestions. In fact, given Mac typical naming schemes and potential DNS namespace collisions (e.g. DNS.domain.one, DNS.domain.two), 20 characters might be even better.

• 3 months later...

Is it soon yet? ;)

I appreciate that a rename/alias feature requires a bit of work, but a hover over which displays the full name should be a quick interim fix.

P.S. I noticed that the master indicator got added in v.2.0.3 :D

Edited by IT Troll
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
34 minutes ago, IT Troll said:

Is it soon yet? ;)

We realized this needs a lot of behind the scenes work (i.e. separating hostnames from the config) which is a big change. To be honest, it may not be until 2.1.

10 minutes ago, Nick Bolton said:

We realized this needs a lot of behind the scenes work (i.e. separating hostnames from the config) which is a big change. To be honest, it may not be until 2.1.

I figured that might be the case. But a hover over pop-up of the full name wouldn't be so tricky and would help out those with long and indistinguishable hostnames.

• 2 weeks later...
IT Troll

It's not quite a pop-up tooltip. But if you right-click on a computer you get some options which do feature the full computer name.