Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Key remap

jaap aarts
2 hours ago, Martinbdc said:

would be great.

It's annoying between linux and mac for copy and paste to have to do Ctrl+c   then Window+v

haha, I never even thought about that, cant you remap it in mac(probably not)?

maybe but I don't wanna do that, because when I'm using my mac (laptop) as a standalone, I simply want to use it in a standard way with its own keyboard configured normally,

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The mouse button mapping works if you manually add the lines into the config file in the options section (Linux server and Windows client).  Mine is:

mousebutton(6) = keystroke(WWWBack)
        mousebutton(7) = keystroke(WWWForward)

Not sure if the keymapping would work because I've never used that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping this comes soon, I just bought the upgrade to 2, but had to uninstall it and downgrade because it is too annoying to have to constantly remap my keys!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Gareth Armitage

Not sure this is a feature, but please, please, please address the lack of modifier keys in Parallels/VMs on Mac. It's been on going for literally years. Is there any sign of including this in v2.1? It's the only reason I'm battling with v2 at this stage rather than reverting back to v1.8.

Many Thanks.

Gareth

• 2 months later...

I bought Synergy2 because I've been using synergy1 it for years and worked perfectly. Synergy 2 doesn't allow key modifications and it's a total bummer. Going from a linux desktop to a mac laptop makes my brain burst every time I try copy/paste because muscle memory has taken over. Please please add this feature!

Edited by RobM
Brent Plummer

Ugh, I just spent so much time trying to get Synergy 2 running on my PC.  Had to do a complete flush of the app and remove all registry entries.  After finally getting it to run I realize it doesn't have the 2nd biggest feature I need/use.  Keyboard mapping!  Like others, my brain will go crazy if I have to switch between Mac's command key and windows control for copy/paste.    Is 2.1 available for beta testing? 

IT Troll

I use a Mac keyboard attached to my PC to control both PC and Mac. With Windows set to use the Apple keyboard layout everything works fine (cmd key works as Win key). I do still have to swap between cmd/ctrl but I find it is better to learn to do that than not. It soon becomes second nature and then you don't get caught out when using either in a native setup.

Edited by IT Troll

@IT Troll That may work for you, but doesn't for many other's setup. I spend much of my time in terminal- so mapping caps lock to ctrl is crucial. I also map my left ctrl to command so I can more naturally use command-c command-v for copy/paste and command-tab for window switching.

It wouldn't be so frustrating if it wasn't already a feature in the old version. Don't get me wrong I appreciate all the hard work put into the the new synergy! I just also really want this feature.

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased Synergy today, but this is already a huge stumbling block. I'm forced to use a Windows 10 box in addition to my Mac. I already use AutoHotKey on the Windows box to remap things to be more Mac-like. What's really needed is a keyboard mapping configuration for each client (i.e server key X -> client key Y). There should be a debugging tool or log which shows the incoming key and transformed key.

This really is a required feature to be able to use multiple platforms together seamlessly.

Any chance there's a beta of 2.1 available? 

Just purchased Synergy today, but this is already a huge stumbling block. I'm forced to use a Windows 10 box in addition to my Mac. I already use AutoHotKey on the Windows box to remap things to be more Mac-like (using a pc keyboard). What's really needed is a keyboard mapping configuration for each client (i.e server key X -> client key Y). There should be a debugging tool or log which shows the incoming key and transformed key, so that you can, uh, debug things. You should also be able to walk over to a client's physical keyboard and type on it "native" (e.g. use a Mac laptop's keyboard normally).

To be clear: it's not sufficient to be able simply swap meta and alt keys. Full control of the remapping is absolutely critical. I'm seeing something on the blog about upcoming features that mentions an automated key swapping. That will probably do more harm than good.

This really is a required feature to be able to use multiple platforms together seamlessly.

Any chance there's a beta of 2.1 available? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2018 at 1:22 PM, Mark K said:

To be clear: it's not sufficient to be able simply swap meta and alt keys. Full control of the remapping is absolutely critical. I'm seeing something on the blog about upcoming features that mentions an automated key swapping. That will probably do more harm than good.

100% this.

Not being able to remap caps lock is pretty terrible. This feature wasn't available or functional in 1, but the meta/super swaps were and 2.x is useless without _at least_ these options.

• 2 weeks later...

Another user here desperately wishing for, at least, replication of the Synergy 1 capability.

I remap my Caps Lock to Escape, which was possible, although unreliable, in Synergy. Now that I've finally got two out of my three computers working with Synergy2 this is a huge remaining sticking point.

To report my own error: it looks to me like my specific use case is already working in Synergy2. (Or, at least, it has a similar problem to Synergy1 in which the Escape/Caps Lock remapping on my main system sometimes doesn't work on the remote systems and sometimes does.)

In this case, at least, Synergy2 is doing well! Looking forward to 2.1.