Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

iOS Support

Johnny Saigon

Johnny Saigon

Hello Folks,

For obvious reasons, I would like to see iOS 11 added onto the list of supported operating systems. In the interest of parity, I would also suggest an Android version (but please do iOS first).  Cheers !

I nice idea, but I'm not sure how that would work in practice. The concept of a mouse pointer doesn't really work on a touch device. Equally, you couldn't really replicate touch gestures whilst using a mouse.

Johnny Saigon

You wouldn't necessarily have a pointer on the device screen, just maybe some sort of indicator to show that the focus is on the touchscreen (and you'd still have to use your touch to navigate) but you would have the keyboard. Moving the pointer back towards the Macbook screen would turn off the focus indicator. I was actually more looking forward to keyboard usage as opposed to pointer usage.

Android at least has support for using a mouse, if you connect one through a USB OTG cable (don't know about Bluetooth) it shows a mouse pointer on the screen and you interact by dragging the mouse like you would when swiping in apps.

Interesting. I can see how it might work in Android. I suspect things will be trickier under iOS with the app restrictions/sandboxing Apple imposes.

jaap aarts

android has native mouse and keyboard support, and has many launcher that look like a real desktop. if youdlike to use your phone as a computer with synergy I gues this could be nice.

• 2 weeks later...

First off I know this is impossible on IOS because there isn't any mouse support and applications cant interact with the home menu. Also android unless its rooted I think has stuff like that disabled as a security feature. You could literally make a default set of instructions and steal data or spend peoples money technically. They disabled being able to tell where someone touches outside of an app ages ago though you can still detect clicks.

Where its nice in idea the security policies are too strict to stop people who don't know what they are doing downloading untrusted stuff and having their details stolen too easily. That and apple are over the top about letting peoples apps interact with how the phone feels even slightly.

Edit: (the post above proves about the rooting part but actually even more requires a discontinued edited android os)

Edited by sekwah
rephrased
jaap aarts
On 11/20/2017 at 10:46 PM, sekwah said:

First off I know this is impossible on IOS because there isn't any mouse support and applications cant interact with the home menu. Also android unless its rooted I think has stuff like that disabled as a security feature. You could literally make a default set of instructions and steal data or spend peoples money technically. They disabled being able to tell where someone touches outside of an app ages ago though you can still detect clicks.

Where its nice in idea the security policies are too strict to stop people who don't know what they are doing downloading untrusted stuff and having their details stolen too easily. That and apple are over the top about letting peoples apps interact with how the phone feels even slightly.

Edit: (the post above proves about the rooting part but actually even more requires a discontinued edited android os)

the cyanogen project has been continued under lineage.

but it would indeed be too risky to allow these actions(moving the cursor) to be done by any application, and I doubt Google would allow a single application to have this access.

and there is an app for IOS that does the same thing for osx->ios only. ill ask a friend who has it what it's called if you want me to

2 hours ago, jaap aarts said:

but it would indeed be too risky to allow these actions(moving the cursor) to be done by any application, and I doubt Google would allow a single application to have this access.

and there is an app for IOS that does the same thing for osx->ios only. ill ask a friend who has it what it's called if you want me to

The guy is asking about being able to control the thing generally from the app as well as if I'm correct with the think I think you are talking about that shows a screen on the Mac and you can interact with it. Not extending the screen onto the device for the mouse. (First case doesn't really fit symless)

Also I know it would be too risky. I was just stating you couldn't and only rooting could come close.

Also I'm not sure if the code the guy linked would work with lineage due to working on a Cyanogen feature. Now it's a new project they may have changed a lot around in the code surrounding that. It depends if it's a new project with the same goal or a continue under a different name as to how likely the same code pretty much would work potentially.

• 4 months later...
MarcelDelfino
On 22/11/2017 at 5:02 PM, jaap aarts said:

I'd like to know what that app is called if you could let me know... thanks

• 5 months later...

For what it's worth, even being able to just use your PC as the keyboard for IOS via Synergy would be a great win.  The other solutions I'm aware of to do this leverage bluetooth to emulate the keyboard.  Couldn't you integrate that with the idea of using the mouse to switch focus to the iPhone and back?