Hello! đź‘‹

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Portable version

Any chance that the windows system can be made portable. I have been using synergy at work for years and then they tightened down security where no user can install/uninstall without having elevated rights. That being said, I'd rather not be on anyone's radar so a portable solutions would be great for windows.

• Like 1

Portable version for linux based systems would be also great. Me and some colleagues want to use Synergy on an Ubuntu based PXE-Boot system without root permissions. Therefore a non-install version would be great.

• Like 1
jaap aarts
9 minutes ago, henneu said:

Portable version for linux based systems would be also great. Me and some colleagues want to use Synergy on an Ubuntu based PXE-Boot system without root permissions. Therefore a non-install version would be great.

nonroot users cant add a service, but I guess once you are logged in it would still be usefull.

Same for Windows. The current service-based architecture isn't a good match for being made portable. However, early betas weren't serviced-based and so an alternate build is feasible but would require a lot more work.

Edited by IT Troll
jaap aarts

the main synergy part is just a single application started by the service. if you wanted to you could just have synergy run inside the command line without any service.

For now I go with the command line solution. 
Correct me if I am wrong but I feel like there are a lot of interesting features missing using Synregy 2 this way. 

22 hours ago, jaap aarts said:

nonroot users cant add a service, but I guess once you are logged in it would still be usefull.

Wouldn't it be possible to start the service as a normal userspace process at least when starting the synergy-config tool on nonroot user accounts?

I'm a computer scientist myself and I tried to workaround that issue by myself but hard coded pathes to system pathes are breaking my neck on the prebuild packages. 

On 11/8/2017 at 10:19 AM, goshnmedia said:

Any chance that the windows system can be made portable. I have been using synergy at work for years and then they tightened down security where no user can install/uninstall without having elevated rights. That being said, I'd rather not be on anyone's radar so a portable solutions would be great for windows.

+1

• 2 months later...
TurnschuhAdmin

+1 - portable tool would be a great feature (as long as orphaned entries are getting deleted). I use it to setup new PCs without having multiple sets of Keyboard at my desk.