Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Activating synergy without internet connection

Michel Delage
Hi, I use Synergy to share my mouse and keyboard between a computer that doesn't have internet access (for security reasons) and one that has. I recently installed the new version (1.7.3) on both and activated Synergy Pro on the connected computer but obviously couldn't do it on the other one. The consequence of this is that I am unable to have the 2 PC's work together with SSL encryption. They only work without this option. Is it possible to activate Synergy without internet connection so that I can use SSL? Thanks!
Ben Koenig
That is a very good question! Temporarily connecting to the Internet for registration is your best option. However, you may also be able to go through an ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). I know that Windows has this (They call it ICS). Desktop Linux Distributions have this through Network Manager. ICS lets you connect to the outside world through another computer without having a dedicated connection. As far as your router is concerned only one computer is dialing out. Would Internet Connection Sharing work around your security requirements? Mac and Linux call it something else, so knowing which platforms you are using is very helpful.
ICS or network sharing is not an enterprise-acceptable answer, as it is usually frowned upon by the security wonks for reasonable reasons, and configuring it could be grounds for termination. Also, in my case (and I suspect in many others), since the current Synergy client does not obey default system proxy configurations or proxy.pac definitions (that I can find), it wouldn't matter anyway, because enterprise firewalls often do not to allow naked http/https connections outbound, and instead send everything through a proxy designed to filter and cache traffic before it goes to the firewall and the internet.
  • 2 years later...

Any news on this issue? I've just bought a license when I became aware that I need Internet to serve in a local netowork..

It dosent even work after I disconnect and reconnect the network ...

• 2 months later...
sampsondavidj

I would like a solution to this problem as well.  I have a network with no internet access at all and therefore can't activate anything.