Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Is this a step back?

I was using Synergy 1 on my pc and mac devices, unless I'm missing it, there is no configuration or customization. I had hotkeys and a custom layout so I could have screen wrap. With this all I can do is drag my 2 machines around. Am I missing something? Thanks.

Kelvin Tran

It's meant to be a much simpler interface. No, you're not missing something.

Synergy 2 was meant to see how much users would miss the "tinkery" features, but they'll be making a return in v2.1 as an optional set of configuration settings. This is meant to "just work", so there's no manual config for Synergy 2.0, but it is a definite feature addition (or return, if you'd like to put it that way) in 2.1.

You can step back to Synergy 1 if you'd like until 2.1 comes out if having those features is super critical to ensuring your productivity.

I did the same.

Disappointed that the release is not stable. I also reverted back to 1.8.

There was a long beta phase that I didn't take part in, and expected the final release to be stable. Paying for a product to beta test it should not be the onus on the end user.

dstutzman_nt

I also reverted back to 1.8. Synergy 2.0.1 would lose connection whenever the client machine woke from sleep, and it would refuse to reconnect until I manually restarted the background service on the server machine. I could not find a way around this, and the UI was very confusing and not helpful at all in troubleshooting the issue. There's a lot to be disappointed with there frankly, and I'm having difficulty coming up with a scenario that would have made the developers feel comfortable with releasing Synergy 2 in this state. Was this (arguably very common) use case tested? Why was a background service deemed more beneficial to the user? If 2.1 really fixes all of these problems, why was 2.0 released widely to the public anyway? Shouldn't this have stayed in beta before things really "just worked"? I really hate to be so critical of Synergy because it's an indispensable tool for me and I really enjoy using it (and supporting developers of good software!), but this release really never should have been put on sale for the public.

I think I'm in the same boat here too.  Just upgraded to 2.0, using Ubuntu 17.04 <-> OSX 10.13.1 and it just doesn't work.  Firewalls look good and they are "talking". Going back to 1.8 :(

Edited by Noebl1

This has been the most frustrating, disappointing, paid "update" I've encountered. They're missing a critical 'onboarding' flow introducing the updated UI.  I have so many questions... 

• What does that green highlight mean on one of the screens?
  • Why are my connected computers not reflecting the same computer turning green?
  • How do I set which computer is Server and which are Clients?
  • Do I click "Share from $NAME" on the client computers? or on the server?
  • By clicking "Share from $NAME" am I setting the server, and alerting clients? or setting a client and alerting the server?
  • How can I confirm and configure SSL?
  • How can I stream the log?
  • ...etc

The community supports itself through these forums and surely prevents thousands of support tickets from being submitted to Symless. Removing methods for self-diagnostic is a bad sign.  This was clearly not a feature core users were interested in. 

• Like 1
Kelvin Tran
9 minutes ago, Cam said:

This has been the most frustrating, disappointing, paid "update" I've encountered. They're missing a critical 'onboarding' flow introducing the updated UI.  I have so many questions... 

• What does that green highlight mean on one of the screens?
  • Why are my connected computers not reflecting the same computer turning green?
  • How do I set which computer is Server and which are Clients?
  • Do I click "Share from $NAME" on the client computers? or on the server?
  • By clicking "Share from $NAME" am I setting the server, and alerting clients? or setting a client and alerting the server?
  • How can I confirm and configure SSL?
  • How can I stream the log?
  • ...etc

The community supports itself through these forums and surely prevents thousands of support tickets from being submitted to Symless. Removing methods for self-diagnostic is a bad sign.  This was clearly not a feature core users were interested in. 

If you don't like Synergy 2 and would like to go back to Synergy 1, but don't have a v1 license, email [email protected]. If you'd like to give up on Synergy altogether, email [email protected]. Or if you want technical support (which I assume you don't at this point), you can email [email protected]

I will address each of your points in the order that you have presented them.

1.) In terms of your introductory sentence, many features that will help refine Synergy are coming in v2.1. If you can't wait that long, refer to the emails I provided above regarding refunds or switching back to v1.8.

2.) A green highlight on one of the screens on the blue background (the "grid") means that the system is connected to the Synergy cloud and ready to connect/connected to a client(s). If it's grey, it is not online. Simple as that.

3.) Each computer is treated as an individual system in the cloud connection process. How it works is that once two or more systems on the same Symless account can be detected as online on the cloud, a LAN-based connection will be established between the systems, using the setting you set as server to be the host system, and the rest being slaves.

4.) You just said how you set which computer to be server and which to be client. The "Share from $NAME" button. I'll address how to use it in my next response, as that is your next question. However, the computer you designate to be the server will cause every other computer to become client. There can be only 1 server. Therefore, set 1 computer as server and Synergy will set all the others as slaves or clients.

5.) It doesn't matter. Either way, it sends the command to the Synergy cloud to change the profile on the respective system to be a server and sends a command to all the others to change to a client profile if it's not already on it. That's why when you click that, all systems react and some say something to the effect to "no change to the profile needed". It was already a client.

6.) You're setting a server and alerting everyone, not just the client, but the prospective server.

7.) SSL is enabled by default, with no current method of configuring. That is coming in 2.1.

8.) If you mean look at it in real time, press the tilde (~) key to look at the log. If you mean send the log to Symless and get a link, right click on the blue background and click "Send Log".

9.) We, speaking on behalf of all moderators and Synergy team members, send people to [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected] very often, and are not afraid to admit it. When we think that your issues are better solved by a Symless team members rather than spending time on the forums that will never be compensated for, we are happy to send you that way. Additionally, there isn't even a current link to the forums on the main Symless website. All you get when you click "Support" is a link to a form allowing you to submit a ticket to their helpdesk system.

I hope this addresses the concerns you had in your previous post.

• Like 1