Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Chinese Internet Blocks Auto-Config Server

Now I can confirm that pubsub1.cloud.symless.com:443 is blocked by China. When I telnet from Beijing, nothing returned, while ip is the same as telnet from abroad servers.

image.png.28327330a5fea45873f60060f2db15e5.png

This is telnet from Beijing.

image.png.5161eaa44238b936dbca21ca8a3ae236.png

This is telnet from USA.

BTW, this problem would result in "There was a problem connecting to auto-config service".

It's good news that this problem is not Symless's fault. But still, Symless can do better to help Chinese users:

1. deploy a server as reverse proxy in China mainland.

2. enable user to set a proxy to visit Internet. I believe almost every Chinese Symless user has proxy to visit youtube, google. But that may need disable SSL/TLS Certification validation, if connection to pubsub1.cloud.symless.com:443 was using certification.

3. using other encryption algorithm may help. It's said that Great FireWall can detect what encryption algorithm (not decrypt) is using in one connection. I believe GFW is considering connection to pubsub1.cloud.symless.com:443 is using the same encryption as other breaking GFW software.

• Kelvin Tran changed the title to Chinese Internet Blocks Auto-Config Server

I don't think It's OFF. Blocking is continue, many Chinese users are experiencing the same problem. Say something, show us u would work it out someday, or just do nothing.

Kelvin Tran

I have brought this to the attention of @Nick Bolton, as unfortunately, there's not much most others can do here.

If you'd like, go to the Support section of the Symless website and submit a support request detailing your concerns with connecting to the auto-config server from Beijing. 

They will be able to directly work with you and sort it out. If not, they'll be happy to get you onto v1 or give you a refund if it doesn't work out in your favor.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Kelvin Tran said:

I have brought this to the attention of @Nick Bolton, as unfortunately, there's not much most others can do here.

If you'd like, go to the Support section of the Symless website and submit a support request detailing your concerns with connecting to the auto-config server from Beijing. 

They will be able to directly work with you and sort it out. If not, they'll be happy to get you onto v1 or give you a refund if it doesn't work out in your favor.

Thanks for your reply. This topic was hoping you Symless could do something, and for other Chinese, noticing them that connection problem is nothing wrong with Symless.

Now I know you can do little on GFW thing. Just leave it as it is, and hope GFW would know blocking the wrong site some day.

GFW is not your fault, and I will not asking for refund. I donated to Synergy serveral years ago even when it was free, and your great work is really worth it. Keep it up.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I can see that synergy 2 connect to auto config server using websocket, I make a long thinking about why a c

++ Program need use websocket.

I guess maybe some company block normal port. But company maybe also block self signified certificate HTTPS connection, why synergy 2 use self signified certificate?

If synergy 2 indeed using websocket, this problem is very easy to fix, just add a CDN.

Add a server in China is not easy, China's internet is … hard to describe. But CDNs will do this batter.

I like synergy, and wish synergy will fix this.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Is there any update on this matter? i'm also trying to use Symless in China and although the system detects both computers and reports a connection, the synergy features are kind of blocked.
I contacted customer support 2 days ago but still have no clear reply on how to solve it or even if there exists a solution.
I really hope someone has managed to make the program work in China.

cheers