Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

How to remove an old device icon

Recently, my mobo burned out and I had to replace it.  With the new mobo (different brand board, AMD not Intel CPU this time) I did a clean install of Windows 10.  Today I finally got around to installing Synergy 2.  When I fired it up, it showed the old computer name as the server, (I guess it gets that info when it logs in to Symless).  My client laptop also shows the old server name.  After fighting with it for a while, I finally got both computers to recognize the new name as the server.

The problem is that the old computer is still on the S2 user interface screen.  How do I get rid of it?  The icon is useless since that computer does not exist anymore.

Annotated screenshot attached.

BTW, I like the little dot on the active server.  When "things" get wacky, this is a good, fast way to tell which machine is acting as the server.

Synergy Interface shot.png

johnvillalovos

Doing a complete uninstall and reinstall it is still there :( I'm guessing the config is stored on the server or somewhere that is not documented in the uninstall instructions.

I received this email from Sarah at Symless:

Hi Phillip,

We'll be adding the option to remove this in Synergy 2.1 which is due early 2018. In the meantime, the extra screen can just be moved off to the side in the config app.

If you like, you could visit our user community forums (https://symless.com/forums/) to discuss upcoming features and enhancements with other users.

Thanks,
Sarah

It is in the upcoming features per the link.  I can certainly live with this for a little while until the update comes out.  Thanks Sarah!

-- 
Sarah Hebert
Support Engineer
Synergy Team

Edited by Big G
  • 4 weeks later...

(I posted this on another topic, but I think it was the wrong section, so adding here)

This is getting ridiculous.  It reminds why I turned away from Synergy before.  The products always feel "so close" to being really good, but they seem to not have the time, skill, resources, or discipline to prioritize and work through these niggling issues.  This time it is the inability to remove old computers in 1.x versions, for years there were massive bugs that never went away.

Now I am simply trying to use this for a basic setup: one iMac and one MacBook.  I know I had to fix a name twice, but the others have appeared when my router was restarted and after there was a power outage. I now have to start my workday every morning playing "Which computer is the real one" on both sides and then rearrange everything to get organized.

@Symless I may sound harsh, but I am rooting for you.  I love your product "ideas" and they come. close to being great. I know the challenges I have built 3 software companies myself. But if you would focus on these CRITICAL user experience items and squash quickly, you could easily become one of the "must have" utilities that so many people automatically put on their computers and use all the time.  But as it stands I can't and don't recommend your product to people that I know could use it, because It's my reputation too.  As it stands the dev cycle is too slow to justify the prices.  Make it better and I'm happy to support and pay for this product.

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 1.36.08 PM.png

I think Symless has made a huge mistake releasing S2 as a stable, finished product in the state it is in.  If it were still in Beta, I would urge patience, but people are now paying full price for a stable release and getting a very buggy Beta product.  Bad business decision!  This is how companies die.  I have seen it over and over again.

I've been trying to fiddle with this lately too with no luck. I found a post on another topic where the user changed the config file and removed write privileges, but that hasn't even worked for me. I'm running Synergy 2 on three machines here at work and all of them have the old computer in synergy.conf. I remove the old computer in all the symless.conf files, remove Write permissions for myself and any other user, LOCK the file, then block the connection to the Symless server using Little Snitch to try and prevent the file from updating. After spending close to an hour, I'm giving up. It's pretty frustrating that it's so difficult to remove a computer or do any kind of configuration adjustments, for that matter. I can see why everyone is so frustrated because I'm feeling it too. I've used Symless for about a year and a half now so I was excited to update to 2.0

I hope the 2.1 update comes out soon. Otherwise, I may go back to using my own KVM. 

GranPaSmurf

I understand the frustration (me too) but hang in there guys. We are understanding that Ver. 2.1 is coming very soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
On 03/02/2018 at 9:58 PM, Mykey said:

Yes please sort this asap, it's incredibly frustrating and makes it difficult for me to recommend this product to other as i have been doing.

A new version is imminent (any day now) which will fix this.