Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Windows 7 Login Screen Issue

Derek Miller
Hi, I'm running nightly bd3a8 of 1.7.3 on a Windows 8 desktop (server) and a Windows 7 laptop (client). Everything works perfectly except for the login screen on the client machine. Whether it's booting, restarting, or waking from sleep Synergy doesn't seem to start running on the client until after login. I'm having to manually switch a keyboard to the client to login, after which Synergy starts up and runs exactly as expected. Synergy is listed in the Services list with automatic start, and I've tried setting synergy.exe to always run as administrator. What am I missing? Thanks in advance for any input.
  • 2 months later...
Rebecca Strauch
I have the same issue (v1.7.4, win7 desktop-server, laptop-client). This becomes even more of an issue since our agencies policy is to lock the machines after 10 minutes of inactivity. Since my client machine is a laptop, at least does have a keyboard I can use to log in. As a "wish list" item related to this, it would be great if there was an [u]option[/u] (not default) that could be set that when I logged into my server and/or client machine, the other would automatically log back in. Criteria for this would have to be restricted to machines that are locked with the same user/pass already, and maybe other things I haven't thought about. Maybe this will give your thread a bump and therefore a response.
  • 5 months later...
Diego Tercero
Hi I'm having that bug too when the screen gets locked (not screen saver). I have a Win7 PC configured as a Synergy server with Keyboard and Mouse connected to it and a main screen connected with a DisplayPort cable. A Win 7 Laptop configured as as Synergy client with just the latptop keyboard and touchpad (no mouse nor keyboard connected to USB ports). The laptop display is set to output on a connected to a VGA flat screen. So I kind of have a "two screen" desk, with one screen on the server, one screen on the laptop. There are enterprise wide rules in my company that force an automatic lock of any unactive session after, say 5 or 10 minutes. My Synergy server screen is at the center, my Synergy client screen on the left. I move the mouse to the left, to the client on the laptop. I start working there. I get away from my desk to make some calls on my phone. Then I get back to my desk. Both screens are locked. I move the mouse : nothing happens. I type anything on the keyboard : letters, Win + L, CTRL + ALT + DEL, anything... nothing happens. I put my finger on the laptop touchpad. I'm able to unlock the screen on the laptop (I type my username and password). At this point, I still don't have any response on my PC (Synergy server) keyboard nor mouse. So I go tot the client laptop, bring the Synergy window to the front. Hit the "Stop" button. As soon as I do that, I get the keyboard and mouse back and functional on my central PC. It's become pretty annoying, because it's killing all the interest of the IP KVM, as I have to spend several times a day a whole process of loggin into client and server, stopping Synery processes, restart them to have everything working back again. Anyway you can check on that bug and keep us posted?
  • 3 weeks later...
Same here... [b]Workaround:[/b] Server Config / Hotkeys / Hotkey -> Add / Alt+Pos1 (i.e.) / Command -> Add / Switch Display: Choose Host So whenever the cursor is stuck, you can reset the view to the host by pressing the custom hotkey you just set. :) [b]edit:[/b] Yepp, it works. Somehow the Windows lock screen seems to lock some functionality of Synergy.
Michael McLeish
Thanks for the info, works great! [quote="Jan-Hendrik Wierk"]Same here... [b]Workaround:[/b] Server Config / Hotkeys / Hotkey -> Add / Alt+Pos1 (i.e.) / Command -> Add / Switch Display: Choose Host So whenever the cursor is stuck, you can reset the view to the host by pressing the custom hotkey you just set. :) [b]edit:[/b] Yepp, it works. Somehow the Windows lock screen seems to lock some functionality of Synergy.[/quote]
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Kelvin DSouza
[quote="skybrush"]Same here... [b]Workaround:[/b] Server Config / Hotkeys / Hotkey -> Add / Alt+Pos1 (i.e.) / Command -> Add / Switch Display: Choose Host So whenever the cursor is stuck, you can reset the view to the host by pressing the custom hotkey you just set. :) [b]edit:[/b] Yepp, it works. Somehow the Windows lock screen seems to lock some functionality of Synergy.[/quote] Wow! Thanks for the heads up! All this time I would keep psservice script file on the desktop of all the client machines to remotely restart the 'Synergy' service on the host.
  • 2 months later...
Stuart Stevens
Awesome! Just what I was looking for. Here are some updated instructions: Configure Server | Hotkeys tab | new (Hotkeys) | <press key combination> | ok | select hotkey | new (Actions) | select "Switch to screen" | select server in pull down | ok Now the difficult choice is what key combination to use to go to the home screen. I started with keystroke(Control+Home).