Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Buggy and Unsupported Non-free Open Source Software?

Rich Burdon

Immediately on install things seem broken.

1). I have 2 computers but see three on each; current discussion says no way to delete node? Are these stored on some central service? What happens when this company inevitably goes out of business?

2). While the mouse on my MacBook can now control  my iMac, it can't the other way around (which is what I want since the iMac has the real keyboard).

3). You have to keep the windows open for it to operate? Clutter.

4). No support or documentation?

5). How do I get my money back -- "100% Seamless Guarantee?" 

Kelvin Tran
Just now, Rich Burdon said:

Immediately on install things seem broken.

1). I have 2 computers but see three on each; current discussion says no way to delete node? Are these stored on some central service? What happens when this company inevitably goes out of business?

2). While the mouse on my MacBook can now control  my iMac, it can't the other way around (which is what I want since the iMac has the real keyboard).

3). You have to keep the windows open for it to operate? Clutter.

4). No support or documentation?

5). How do I get my money back -- "100% Seamless Guarantee?" 

1.) You can't delete nodes at the moment, that's a huge shortcoming of Synergy 2. For now, just go ahead and drag the extraneous system off to the side of the grid. It shouldn't interfere there, and when Synergy 2.1 comes, they should add a node-deletion feature. If this company goes out of business for any reason, they will surely implement some offline system. Regardless of whether they go out of business or not, they will add an offline feature in 2.1.

2.) Right click on the node that you want to be able to be the "server". This will change the "main mouse and keyboard" to be the iMac's, which I assume is your main system.

3.) No. On the final versions of Synergy, you can close the window and synergy-service (on macOS) will keep it running. If you're on macOS, just press red close button. Unlike many applications, this will make it "disappear" from the dock of your system as opposed to many other applications that have background processes.

4.) Documentation is what I see as heavily requested and is something that the moderators and Synergy team members will try to bring to you all soon. Just give us some time. I'm sorry that this is even a shortcoming.

5.) Email [email protected] to request a refund if what I've said here today isn't enough to fix your issues. We're (moderators AND team members alike) trying to help ensure that you are satisfied. If you require a refund because the software does not work for you, go ahead and request it. You can find other pieces of hardware/software that will help you increase your productivity and invest what you've put into Synergy into that, in order to help boost your productivity. You can also request for Synergy 1 to be provided to you if you want to try it before you leave Synergy behind for good.