Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Off Button

I bought Synergy 2 because I stream and wanted a way to flick between 2 pcs whilst streaming (game on 1 pc and stream on the other)

The issues I've had when playing the 2 games I play were:

Problem: Call of duty WW2 - When i want to get to play COD all works fine, I turn my charater left or right and it does not move the mouse cursor onto the other screen, however when I want to move the curser onto the other monitor, I can't! because it thinks I'm just trying to move my character on my gaming pc when in reality I'm trying to get to the other PC monitor and I end up spinning in circles.

Possible Solution - Maybe a hotkey to bring synergy infront of the game (without minimizing it) so for example I'm playing COD but I have to quickly click something on my streaming pc, so I press Alt+S which brings up my cursor (game stays full screen but allows me to go to my left screen, then to return I simply drag the mouse back and click the game to bring it to the front again)

Problem: When playing Fortnite Battle Royale, Synergy acts in a completely different way, I try to move left or right in game and my mouse goes onto my left screen, it thinks everytime I move my cursor I'm trying to get into my left computer, which makes the game unplayable as I simply cannot move.

I'm not sure what causes this, possibly an in game setting? I had it set to fullscreen which makes sense as the game is then at the front and should not close or minimize unless I alt+tab it, instead it tries to go to the left monitor if I so much as move the mouse to the left in game.

Problem: Having run into these issues I had to end Synergy 2 so I could stream as I did not have time to find the solution, I closed synergy2 on both pcs only to find it was still running, so I went to task manager and ended the process tree and Synergy2 Just kept loading back up instantly, I restarted the PC and it was still there. I then UNINSTALLED Synergy 2 on my streaming pc and it was STILL somehow connecting both pcs, I had to uninstall Synergy 2 on both pcs just to get it to stop! 

Having paid for this I'm really not very happy with it, but maybe there is a solution to these very basic problems. A hotkey would especially be good in games like COD, so I don't have to wait until the game ends and I get to the main menu just to be able to access my other PC. 

• Like 1
dstutzman_nt
10 hours ago, stuart macmillan said:

The best way to use synergy with gaming is to lock the keyboard and mouse to the gaming machine by pressing the scroll lock key while the cursor is on the gaming machine. You can then unlock it when you want to move to the streaming machine again by pressing scroll lock.

This will solve your problem with Fortnite. In COD you will probably have to put the game in a menu of some sort to release the cursor and move to the streaming machine. In both of these scenarios the game will probably minimize but synergy can't help with that. Most full screen games minimize when they loose focus.

Stuart

Wow, I had no idea that you could do this with scroll lock. It'll actually bind the mouse to whichever machine it's currently on, whether it's the client or the server. Extremely useful, thanks!

Nick reached out  with a known good solution for Mac users: open the Terminal app and run this command:

launchctl unload /Library/LaunchAgents/com.symless.synergy.synergy-service.plist

The above steps do terminate the service successfully as an administrator user.
NB: Terminating the service from Activity Monitor will not work at the moment (as at 6th dec, 2017) unless you are logged in as root.

Thanks for the response Decker, I was looking for a way to quit Synergy2 so I can uninstall it since it's not working on one of my machines and I want to go back to 1.8.8 for the time being.  There should be an easier way to quit synergy, coming to the forums to find a terminal command is not ideal!

I had this same question- it is absolutely astonishing to me that there is no way to turn it off. There obviously needs to be a button in the window for Synergy 2 to say "stop" and to turn it back on again when desired. 

James Howard

I'd like to +1 the suggestion that there needs to be a reset button (like in Synergy 1 which had stop/start). I have had an issue with a reconnection failure after my server machine resumes from sleep with Synergy 1 for years but it's been a minor irritant since I could easily reset the service. Now it requires a heap of messing with the activity monitor and it's suddenly become a major issue.

Given that what Synergy does is pretty much like magic, one can forgive minor issues with resuming from sleep but the lack of an easy way to reset the software is less forgivable.

On 10/12/2017 at 6:52 AM, ledarsi said:

I had this same question- it is absolutely astonishing to me that there is no way to turn it off. There obviously needs to be a button in the window for Synergy 2 to say "stop" and to turn it back on again when desired. 

On 11/30/2017 at 9:53 AM, dstutzman_nt said:

Wow, I had no idea that you could do this with scroll lock. It'll actually bind the mouse to whichever machine it's currently on, whether it's the client or the server. Extremely useful, thanks!

What is the equivalent to the scroll lock on a Mac?

On 12/13/2017 at 11:28 PM, James Howard said:

I'd like to +1 the suggestion that there needs to be a reset button (like in Synergy 1 which had stop/start). I have had an issue with a reconnection failure after my server machine resumes from sleep with Synergy 1 for years but it's been a minor irritant since I could easily reset the service. Now it requires a heap of messing with the activity monitor and it's suddenly become a major issue.

Given that what Synergy does is pretty much like magic, one can forgive minor issues with resuming from sleep but the lack of an easy way to reset the software is less forgivable.

+2 to adding a non-command line option to turn off the damn client.  i took my laptop into the living room this evening while the wife was using my workstation. my mouse pointer kept disappearing on me and doing crazy shit. I then remembered, ah crap, that synergy thing is probably on. finally find a temp workaround here so i set up some bash aliases. oy - i wish i didn't hand over my upgrade dollars to "automagically" make the program harder to use.

• Like 1
On 12/5/2017 at 1:28 PM, Panda Mittens said:

Are these hotkeys surfaced in documentation anywhere for Synergy 2? It seems that if you don't just know this stuff from prior versions already (I'm new to Synergy) this information is completely buried. At a glance it looks like Synergy 2 wasn't ready to leave beta testing.

There is ZERO documentation for Synergy.

4 hours ago, Acc0 said:

you can use scroll lock to lock to current screen

On MacOS with standard Apple keyboard this does not appear possible, unless Ive looked over something.

Neither of these are actual solutions given that 1) most average users shouldn't be opening terminal, and 2) you can't remap the lock key. None of my keyboards have a scroll lock key. I have to unload the plist and uninstall synergy on my mac to disconnect from the service.

• Like 1

having this problem myself. v1 used to have a simple Stop Server when needed.  i i think v2 should be at least that straightforward and user friendly. 

The inability to stop Synergy 2 from running on macOS has been the bane of my existence since I installed it.  I have had to completely uninstall it and then I was able to kill the processes in Activity Monitor.  Glad to know there is a way to kill it without needing to completely uninstall, although I'm at the point where I want to go back to v1.8.8.  Of course, I am now running into problems trying to go back to 1.8.8 but that's a story for another time...

jaap aarts

the game locks the cursor, so you might move your mouse, but if the cursor itself doesn't move. 

this isn't in all games but some games use this to make sure the cursor doesn't go out of the window.

kind of annoying when you want to get out though, pressing escape will usually allow you to move the cursor

James Howard

Is it simple enough to go back to Synergy 1? Really enough is enough - I think Synergy is amazingly useful but Synergy 2 is just a disaster. I've just wasted half an hour trying to get my laptop to connect to my desktop mac. Rebooted both machines, reset the processes multiple times. Connecting to server randomly fails about 80% of the time.

Had a great moment of joy when it eventually connected for about 15 seconds and then went again. Another 5 minutes of random button pressing and it finally seems to have managed a stable connection.

After upgrading to 2.0.4, it now seems to be randomly crashing.

How did such a great piece of software become so absolutely terrible? 

• Like 1

Sucks,  Sent an email this morning and got auto replied,  they are out till January 8th

"We are now closed until 8th January 2018. We'll reply to your ticket once we're back in the office. Have a great Christmas & New Year, don't eat too many mince pies!" 

i tried synergy 2 with gaming and sometimes scroll lock DOES lock my mouse to that display/game, sometimes it DOES NOT. Elex for example had issues with it. Neverwinter or Battlefield 1 had no issues. Only real solution i found is UNINSTALLING synergy ...

you could use a .bat file to start/stop synergy service. you have to execute the .bat with admin rights.

sc start Synergy

or

sc stop Synergy

Thanks to this strange forum software, i cannot edit my post anymore...

• Haha 1
  • Nick Bolton locked this topic