Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Dual screen PC, 2nd screen shared with Mac via KVM

Dan Twaddell
I have an unusual setup and I can't seem to get it set up the way I'd like. Basically I have a dual monitor setup, and the 2nd monitor does double duty for a Mac and a second screen for a PC. Physically, the setup looks like this: [img]https://picoolio.net/images/2015/06/23/KVMsetupddeea.png[/img] This started with just a dual monitor PC setup and then I added a Mac, which I use only occasionally, so I don't want a 3rd screen. I'd like to be able to move my mouse off the left edge the Mac screen left and end up on the [i]first [/i]PC screen, but what ends up happening is that it goes to the second PC screen, which is just sitting idly and is not visible (it's going into the KVM but it's not selected). As I have it now, I can still move my mouse between the two monitors while the Mac is up, but there's a long dead space while it traverses the screen that's not showing. Is there any way to tell Synergy to move the cursor to the right edge of the [i]first [/i]screen instead of the rightmost edge of the PC setup? (Basically this would mean moving to the 50% point of the PC screen's overall width. Thanks.
  • 1 month later...
Robert Bonini
I have a very similar setup, except with 2 PCs, and the exact same problem. When I run synergy with the KVM switched to the second PC, windows and Synergy still think that there is a right-hand screen attached to PC one so there's a "dead region" that has to be crossed to get focus passed to the second PC. Any help on solving this (very annoying) issues would be appreciated.
You have 3 virtual screens and 2 physical screens. Synergy has no way of knowing how many physical screens you have. It tracks the 3 virtual screens: PC1:PC2:MAC So when you activate the KVM to switch screens, just open the Synergy server and drag the Mac Window next to PC1 (PC1:MAC:PC2). Click Apply and it will auto-restart Synergy instantly. When you manually switch back to PC2, just manually drag the PC2 screen as well. Not ideal, but you ARE trying to line up 2 screens to the same edge of one other screen, but at least you can eliminate the gap this way... ;) NOTE: I have limited knowledge of Synergy. This is how I would work around the issue. There may very well be a better way...
Dan Twaddell
Thanks for the reply DanM. I see what you're trying to do here. Unfortunately Synergy doesn't call out screens separately in the server settings, just computers. So in the settings it would look more like PC1:Mac. Or in Robert's case, PC1:PC2. There's no way I can see to separate the virtual screens from PC1, like PC1a:Mac:PC1b, or for Robert, PC1a:PC2:PC1b. But that would be a workaround if you could do that.
  • 4 weeks later...
Dan Twaddell
I know there's a way to move the cursor to the 50% width point when moving between monitors that are stacked vertically using scripts. But there would have to be a new feature to scripts added so that you could move to the 50% width point when moving the mouse horizontally between screens. Visual: +------+------+ | PC1a | PC1b | +------+------+ Moving up from PC2 to PC1 can map to 0-50% of PC1's overall width so the mouse stays on the left side. |-PC2- | +------+ But, +------+------+ | PC1a |PC1b/2| +------+------+ Moving left from PC2 from PC1a is not possible. It will instead move from PC2 to PC1b and "disappear" if PC2 is active on the KVM. PC2 is the server in this example.
  • 2 years later...