Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

VPN

robertjcameron

I realize this is not a Synergy issue per se. One of the systems I use Synergy on frequently needs to connect to a VPN, and when it does Synergy doesn't work. This didn't work in Synergy 1 either, but there I could at least specify a port, etc. Does anyone know how I could get this to work, or could point me to some online resources? (I'm technical but am mostly on the development side and not too well-versed in networking.)

Most likely Synergy 2 can't get to its configuration server due to a firewall restriction or routing issue when your VPN is up. This might not be curable till 2.1 is released, which hopefully will be configurable not to need Internet connectivity. 

Kelvin Tran

Should be curable.

Synergy 2 already encrypts your local connection with SSL/TLS.

All you have to do, in theory, is use Wireshark or something similar to monitor the domain of which the traffic from Synergy is going to (if I'm not mistaken, an AWS domain), and simply configure your VPN client to not encrypt that traffic if possible.

If not, contact [email protected] to obtain a v1 license. That will work offline. Synergy 2.1 will add offline functionality.

robertjcameron

I may need to wait for 2.1 then. It's CIsco AnyConnect pre-installed by my employer, and I don't see a way to configure it for certain traffic (which may exist and I just don't have privilege). I used to use v1 also and had this same issue, and didn't see a way to use it offline.

I use AnyConnect on one of my connected computers.  To get Synergy 1 working, I had to go into the config (click the gear wheel on the connection box) and set "allow local (LAN) access when using VPN".  I have not fiddled with the setting since installing Synergy 2, so I'm not sure if that need has changed.  BTW, making that setting also enables the use of networked printers that are outside the VPN.

• Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

On 25/01/2018 at 4:49 AM, rat103070 said:

I had to go into the [Cisco AnyConnect ] config (click the gear wheel on the connection box) and set "allow local (LAN) access when using VPN".

Nice tip!

robertjcameron

Man, that got my hopes up. In AnyConnect, I checked "Allow local (LAN) access when using VPN (if configured)" and unchecked "Block connections to untrusted servers". It still doesn't work but the behavior has changed. I can now get the VPN'd box to connect, but then the non-VPN'd box disconnects (UI goes to the dark gray box with the green bar that keeps trying to fill). I restart the Synergy process on the non-VPN'd box and then that one connects but the VPN'd box disconnects. I restart the process on the VPN'd box and the non-VPN'd box disconnects...rinse and repeat...

Edited by robertjcameron
Kelvin Tran
2 hours ago, robertjcameron said:

Man, that got my hopes up. In AnyConnect, I checked "Allow local (LAN) access when using VPN (if configured)" and unchecked "Block connections to untrusted servers". It still doesn't work but the behavior has changed. I can now get the VPN'd box to connect, but then the non-VPN'd box disconnects (UI goes to the dark gray box with the green bar that keeps trying to fill). I restart the Synergy process on the non-VPN'd box and then that one connects but the VPN'd box disconnects. I restart the process on the VPN'd box and the non-VPN'd box disconnects...rinse and repeat...

Short and simple. Contact support for Synergy 1.

I think I know what's happening. Because the machines are technically on different networks, Synergy is getting confused as to network topology and WebSocket configurations. Cloud Bridge in v2.1 should fix it, as far as I see here.

• 2 months later...
Pete Rabjohns

I'm having similar Issues. I use a VPN connection on OSX, which only seems to affect Synergy (2.0.10-stable) after a while. It supports local connections, but after some time Synergy no longer works.

Edited by Pete Rabjohns
  • 2 weeks later...
docmilligan

I am still having this issue too.  I was using an older version and it worked fine.  I remember I had to configure the IPs to have it route to my router and have my router pass the traffic to my personal workstation.  I uninstalled and figured I would wait so I tried today...but the newest version won't work either...is there still a way to configure rather than use the autoconfiguration?  Thanks!