Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Cisco WebEx Incompatibilities

When using Cisco WebEx and Synergy at the same time the slave machine will freeze up (cannot move mouse, even the local mouse on a laptop for example, and it eventually crashes). This was an issue with Synergy 1.8.8 and has carried over to the newer version. Both systems are Windows 10 Pro and sit on the same wired home network.

I run into the same problem with the same desktops. So, I have a keyboard and mouse on the slave just to stop/start the synergy service when I'm using WebEx.

On 1/23/2018 at 12:30 PM, JPM said:

I run into the same problem with the same desktops. So, I have a keyboard and mouse on the slave just to stop/start the synergy service when I'm using WebEx.

Yeah I'd love to hear if anyone at the developers has looked into it. Really busts my worfkflow and the point of Synergy for me doing a lot of my workdays.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, JDavis said:

This has been an ongoing issue for well over a year and I have yet to see it addressed. What the hell is going on

Support told me they know about it, but there's no timeline for a fix. Seems like it's pretty low priority. Even though I imagine it effects plenty of people, especially business users.

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, PortableTech said:

Oddly enough, I have used Synergy 1 and later 2 and never ran into this with Webex. 

Were you running Webex on the master or the slave? My Webex is always on the slave in my workflow and causes issue. As JPM mentioned earlier, it might work if Webex is running on the Master.

• 4 weeks later...
kachunkachunk

Chiming in to acknowledge that I see this behavior as well. Zoom is fine, for what it's worth.

And indeed, running the Master on the WebEx system stops the momentary lockups.

From some basic troubleshooting in the past, lowering the process priority from realtime did not help, as well. What else have you all tried? Hoping eventually someone will at least spot a workaround.

kachunkachunk

Sorry for the double-post here (can't edit the earlier comment), but the lockups from the machine running WebEx stops, but I do see and experience regular client disconnections during this time anyway. This seems to be consistent with others' experiences. I'll be double-checking whether lowering Synergy service process priority from Realtime to High helps, but I don't recall having luck with this. Yet since this resets unless you use something that reapplies the setting for you, and it's been years, I have some minor doubts again and want to test. Next time I'm dragged into a conference call via WebEx, I'll check and report back only if I found a way to improve things. Otherwise assume changing priority does not help.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Alexey Pilyaev said:

Hi,

If the issue is still relevant, please feel free to create a support ticket? Otherwise, I'll be happy to help you in this forum post.

Alexey, I've opened one in the past and I was told the team knew about the issue and would eventually try to address it. Should I open another now? This is the response I got:

image.thumb.png.041f2a910a5d544ee4254e82c37cf949.png

Edited by adunker
kachunkachunk
On 2018-10-16 at 6:10 AM, kachunkachunk said:

Sorry for the double-post here (can't edit the earlier comment), but the lockups from the machine running WebEx stops, but I do see and experience regular client disconnections during this time anyway. This seems to be consistent with others' experiences. I'll be double-checking whether lowering Synergy service process priority from Realtime to High helps, but I don't recall having luck with this. Yet since this resets unless you use something that reapplies the setting for you, and it's been years, I have some minor doubts again and want to test. Next time I'm dragged into a conference call via WebEx, I'll check and report back only if I found a way to improve things. Otherwise assume changing priority does not help.

Reporting in again here - I have found that lowering process priority from Realtime to High for my Windows slave system seemed to have resolved my hangs. I've had the "privilege" of daily conference calls all of last week, and had some time to test this.

Note that this is for Synergy 1.x. I for a few reasons moved back from Synergy 2.x, but I believe the same might apply there (albeit different process names).
This is probably more of a workaround, and I still can't account for situations where folks report this did not help (in fact my own memory is fuzzy on whether I have found it to not help before too).

Nevertheless, here's the Github issue as well, and the bottom-most comments of mine detail this a bit more: https://github.com/symless/synergy-core/issues/6200
- It does not matter what operating mode Webex is in, and if anybody is sharing or not. You don't even need to be a Host.
- Reducing process priority from Realtime to High seems to stop the hangs immediately.

I'm also not sure when or why the working Synergy process respawns with Realtime priority set; I'm not rebooting or logging out. But nevertheless bear that in mind for your workaround, and seek out a tool that can memorize the value for you.

I also commented, suggesting that Symless, its userbase, or the open-source userbase, should probably look into collecting system information for impacted WebEx users. There may be a hardware or software combination that isn't playing nice, but I'd rather not mislead folks and let the pros do appropriate triage. I'm certain numerous users would be happy to help lend some time and open some WebEx sessions for devs to join.

Granted, this is a user help forum and Symless appears to prefer that its users reach out via support ticket. The downside is that, as far as I know, other users are not privy to when issues have been acknowledged or otherwise. I also don't know if the Github issues tracker is given as much love anymore since paid users are prioritized (and in private). But I'm also speculating now.

Anyway hope this helps.

Edit: If we're encouraged to help each other figure this out beyond this potential workaround, per the github page, I'd encourage folks to share some details about other realtime processes on their systems (usually virus/malware scanners), and CPU family.

Edited by kachunkachunk
kachunkachunk

... missed the second edit window.
Probably in a Google Docs spreadsheet or something, but ideally something Symless is happiest to manage and ingest. Doing endless forum responses of two/three liners of system specs won't be so palatable.

Using your info 

On 10/22/2018 at 7:46 PM, kachunkachunk said:

... missed the second edit window.
Probably in a Google Docs spreadsheet or something, but ideally something Symless is happiest to manage and ingest. Doing endless forum responses of two/three liners of system specs won't be so palatable.

I tried it using v2.12beta. I changing the priority to high worked well. I created a batch script to just run on my desktop whenever the error crops up.

Here's the one-liner if anyone wants to make their own.

wmic process where name="synergy-core.exe" CALL setpriority 128

• Like 1

Using Synergy 1.10.1 on two Windows Pro x64 machines and the client machine suffers from this terribly- constant freezes during WebEx. 

Client Machine CPU is i7-6600U @2.8ghz but is typically constantly boosted to 3.2 during any webex use. Oddly enough I did not notice the issue if i launched webex instead on the server machine (Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.8ghz) but then there may be enough CPU to go around and mask this issue. I had to plug in another mouse to the client machine and disable synergy when using webex to avoid the problem. I will try setting priorities as well to see if that resolves it.

Edited by ChrisUthe
On 10/25/2018 at 9:03 AM, JPM said:

Using your info 

I tried it using v2.12beta. I changing the priority to high worked well. I created a batch script to just run on my desktop whenever the error crops up.

Here's the one-liner if anyone wants to make their own.

wmic process where name="synergy-core.exe" CALL setpriority 128

Anyone looking to do this on S1 should note that the exe you're looking for is synergyc.exe not synergy-core, at least on 1.10.1. I set both SynergyC and synergyD to above normal (one step below high) and will do some testing today.

• Like 1

Ugh... I also just bought synergy recently specifically because for work I usually get a laptop from the client and I was very excited with the drag and drop, copy past, and kb+m sharing.

And then... I had my first webex meeting with a client and it is just unusable. As it stands, the product is completely useless in my workflow.

Good thing there is a 30 day guarantee.

• 11 months later...
On 26/10/2018 at 12:45 PM, ChrisUthe said:

Anyone looking to do this on S1 should note that the exe you're looking for is synergyc.exe not synergy-core, at least on 1.10.1. I set both SynergyC and synergyD to above normal (one step below high) and will do some testing today.

Hi! This thread has more than 1 year, but I want to testify that changing the priority to a lower level is working.

This is my story and my setup:

Synergy Host:
- Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - Synergy 1.10.3-stable-ca35737a - Notebook DELL 7570

Synergy Clients:
- Kubuntu 18.04 - Synergy 1.10.3-stable - Custom PC
- Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit - Synergy 1.10.3-stable-ca35737a - Lenovo ThinkPad T480 

The freezes happens every ~10 ~15 minutes and lasts for ~5 to ~10 seconds. My company uses Webex as the main communication tool, but even if Webex is not running the freeze happens.

I had took a long time to find a solution because of my company's Windows AD policies that cannot allow me to run elevated scripts/executables, but after all I was able to do these settings:

On Edit, Settings, change Synergy option Elevate to Never. Reboot after changing this parameter to ensure it will work.

image.png.ce49f9add4d1d0b70c95ff5506a2f78f.png

Then create a BAT/CMD script and put in task manager to run every time your user logs into Windows. I'll not cover that but you can run the script anytime after you log in (NOTE that I'm using Synergy 1):

Change Synergy priority processes to NORMAL instead of REALTIME though CMD/BAT:

PowerShell "Get-WmiObject Win32_process -filter 'name = \"synergy.exe\"'  | foreach-object { $_.SetPriority(32) }"
PowerShell "Get-WmiObject Win32_process -filter 'name = \"synergyc.exe\"' | foreach-object { $_.SetPriority(32) }"
PowerShell "Get-WmiObject Win32_process -filter 'name = \"synergyd.exe\"' | foreach-object { $_.SetPriority(32) }"

If you choose PowerShell interpreter you can run this one:

Get-WmiObject Win32_process -filter 'name = synergy.exe'  | foreach-object { $_.SetPriority(32) }
Get-WmiObject Win32_process -filter 'name = synergyc.exe' | foreach-object { $_.SetPriority(32) }
Get-WmiObject Win32_process -filter 'name = synergyd.exe' | foreach-object { $_.SetPriority(32) }

Many thanks to @ChrisUthe and @JPM to pointing out a permanent fix!

I'm able now to use Synergy with TLS Encryption without any freezes or hangs perfectly!

Edited by Adami