Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Portable version for use on locked-down computers

John Pitchko
Hello, I use Synergy quite nicely on my Mac and Windows 8 personal computers. However, I have a corporate laptop that I occasionally use to work from home. My company locks down these laptops quite heavily, preventing me from installing software (which I do not necessarily disagree with). Unfortunately, this also means that I cannot install Synergy to share my nice mouse and keyboard when I do work from home. I was curious if it would be possible to create a version of Synergy that is "portable". That is, can be packaged into an EXE w/ associated files that could be run on a computer without installation. For example, one can download and run portable versions of popular apps such as Firefox and Chrome from the http://www.portableapps.com website. I would even be willing to contribute money to make this happen!
Joe Yancey
I would love this as well. I have used Synergy for years when working from home. My current company has also locked down my work laptop and it's distrubed my whole home office setup. I have searched and came across a couple alternate applications that claim to do this, but they have not worked very well.
  • 5 months later...
Mycah Mattox
It looks like this request is still unfilled? I know I've run a stand alone synergy on windows in the past, however it appears it is not currently available. Is that due to the new licensing structure?
Will Michail
i agree i too work for a corporation that locks down the policies so im unable to send the synergy client the CTRL-ALT-DEL sequence as im unable to modify policy with my basic user rights granted id love for synergy to develop a workaround for this so i can use it across multiple setups without having to unlock it manually on the clients keyboards each time the screen locks for those that can adjust their policies this is the workaround being provided by synergy Why doesn't Ctrl+Alt+Del work on secondary screens? Source: Enabling CTRL-ALT-DEL in Windows 7 over Synergy Using a Windows 7 machine as a client: With the default Windows settings you can not enter a Ctrl+Alt+Del SAS (Secure Attention Sequence) over Synergy on the Windows lock screen. This can be frustrating if you lock your computer frequently or log in remotely. You can allow this behavior by allowing Services to issue the SAS in the Windows Logon Options. These are found in the Local Group Policy Editor. Go to the Local Group Policy Editor (Type gpedit.msc in the run menu) Dig down to Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> Windows Components --> Windows Logon Options Open up the Disable or enable software Secure Attention Sequence option Set it to Enabled and then select Services and Ease of Access applications below, click OK You should now be able to issue a Ctrl+Alt+Del to Windows 7 over Synergy while on the lock screen. Note: Sometimes the Ctrl and Alt keys stick, just press them each once to un-stick them. On Windows servers, Ctrl+Alt+Del is always intercepted by Windows and is never passed to Synergy. We have implemented Ctrl+Alt+Pause/Break as a workaround, which will send a ctrl+alt+del sequence across to the client. On Mac laptops, the key labeled Delete is actually backspace and Ctrl+Cmd+Del won't work. However Fn+Delete really is Delete so Fn+Ctrl+Cmd+Delete will act as Ctrl+Alt+Del on a windows secondary screen.
  • 3 weeks later...
This can be done with Synergy as it is now. Just unpack the MSI file and run synergys.exe on the server, or synergyc.exe on the client. You will need to figure out the correct command line parameters and the configuration file (on the server) yourself. Here is a place to get started: https://github.com/synergy/synergy/wiki/Command-line To Will Michail: This has nothing to do with ctrl+alt+delete support. That is a totally separate issue. The requirement to modify the group policy to enable this is not from Synergy, but from Windows. This applies to any software which attempts to generate this key sequence.
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
[quote="the-wes"]This can be done with Synergy as it is now.[/quote] @the-wes - I tried this today (unpacking the MSI and using command line tool) seems to work! You are a life saver! Do you know of any tutorials to set up the NS plugin in windows at enable the crypto option?
  • 7 months later...
Connor Porter

Hi! I'm also running into this issue. Do you happen to still have the command line commands to unpack and run the client? I've got the server set up no problem, but the corporate laptop is a bit more locked down install-wise. Yay group policy! -.-

connor - to unpack the installer, just run 7-zip on the MSI file. all you need is synergyc.exe. then, to run it, use synergyc [iP Address of server]