Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

getting there was a problem connecting to the background service...

I've fully removed synergy 2 using the instructions from nick, reinstalled it, same thing. I've removed it and reinstalled 2.0.4, same thing. When I tell it to upload logs and view them I get:

[ Service ] [2018-02-13T22:25:37] debug: install dir: C:\Program Files\Synergy
[ Service ] [2018-02-13T22:25:37] info: starting service...
[ Service ] [2018-02-13T22:25:37] error: service failed: Value must follow after a '=' at line 1
[ Service ] [2018-02-13T22:25:40] debug: service log path: C:\ProgramData\Symless\Synergy\synergy-service.log
[ Service ] [2018-02-13T22:25:40] debug: install dir: C:\Program Files\Synergy

Anyone have suggestions?

GranPaSmurf

Current version of Synergy is 2.05. 

I'd first update to that version. If the issue persists post to Synergy support. Then come back here and let's kick it around. 

What OS's are you using? 

• 2 weeks later...

My surface pro 4 also have the same issue.

I already tried un-install, remove the regedit and install the latest version. (Synergy_v2.0.6-stable_b1587-1ef57bb6-x64.msi)

But the Synergy service status still keep running  in 'Running' / 'Stopped'.

The log: 

[ Service ] [2018-02-28T09:54:39] info: starting service...
[ Service ] [2018-02-28T09:54:39] error: service failed: Value must follow after a '=' at line 1
[ Service ] [2018-02-28T09:54:42] debug: service log path: C:\ProgramData\Symless\Synergy\synergy-service.log
[ Service ] [2018-02-28T09:54:42] debug: install dir: C:\Program Files\Synergy
[ Service ] [2018-02-28T09:54:42] info: starting service...
[ Service ] [2018-02-28T09:54:42] error: service failed: Value must follow after a '=' at line 1

Edited by GarryChoi

The regedit is helpful, but the c:\programdata\symless folder is much more important. it's hidden, you won't see c:\programdata\ but you will need to delete c:\programdata\symless to resolve this. 

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Karthage said:

The regedit is helpful, but the c:\programdata\symless folder is much more important. it's hidden, you won't see c:\programdata\ but you will need to delete c:\programdata\symless to resolve this. 

The problem is solved!  Thanks a lot!

• 7 months later...

Hey there - 

Many thanks for this helpful solution, Karthage.  I just ran into this issue on Windows 10 Professional (Surface Pro 4) using Synergy 2.0.12 beta.  I'm unsure what caused the problem - that version had been installed and working well for a while now.  For me, the steps to fixing it were:

1 - Stop Synergy service and set it to DISABLED for automatic startup - since otherwise those files will remain stubbornly 'in use'
2 - Restart computer
3 - Delete C:\programdata\symless folder
4 - Set Synergy service back up to start on reboot (I personally use delayed automatic start)
5 - Start Synergy service

• Thanks 1