Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Disable mouse and keyboard sharing when gaming.

Mike Danielsson

Mike Danielsson

It had been really useful if the program could recognize when a game is running. Or maybe add a list where you can link to specific exe files and when someone of them is running disable sharing.

At the moment games will be minimized when you accidentally move the cruiser to the edge of the other computer screen. that's annoying.

Jereme Guenther

I second this, or something similar.  It is a pretty minor issue as the Scroll Lock is a good bandaid.

However, games where they have full screen mode and change the computers screen resolution always end up getting minimized and resetting the screen resolution whenever the mouse is moved to one of the other computers.  I often times do other things while I game, this problem prevents me from using any of the other computers during gaming.  It would be nice to get this "bug" on the list to be looked into at some point.

Scroll lock is the best solution.  That way it's user controlled.  If the program is auto-locking to screen that means the only way to regain the ability to move to another machine would be to kill the game.  I like that I can hit scroll lock and play the game, but if something needs to be addressed on another machine, I can either pause the game or get to a area I'm safe, then hit scroll lock, move to my "work" machine and do what is needed.  I've never had the issue that Jereme mentioned?  I have 3 pc setup.  <WORK> 3440x1440  <ADMIN> 1920x1080 <GAME> 2560x1080  never had issues.

Please DON'T make this feature automatic.   

Jereme Guenther

@DJKouza I sounds like you have never played the type of game that has this issue, especially considering I am the second person in this thread to have it.  Since you have never experienced it it also sounds like you do not understand what the issue is.

Scroll lock does not fix the issue, it is at best a band-aid that prevents the issue from occurring but also prevents you from using any of the other computers while playing the games.  No one is asking that the scroll-lock locking feature be made automatic, simply that the lost focus minimization problem be addressed for games/programs like this.

@Jereme Guenther  Thanks for clarifying, but since the post title says "Disable mouse and keyboard sharing when gaming"   I assumed that was the requested feature, which is basically "auto press scoll lock" seems like you agree that is not a desired feature.  And yes your correct; I called out not having the same issue while gaming (quite a few Steam/BattleNet/Other launcher games).  Can you post whether this is EVERY game, if not a list of the games that this happens on?  As well as maybe the OS/Screen resolutions?  Are you running games in Windowed / Borderless Window / Fullscreen?  My guess is that it's inherent in the game you are playing that if the Keyboard/mouse are not focused on the Game window that the game will minimize or lose focus.  Hope there is a resolution for this, but if it's the actual game that is causing the minimize/etc then it's likely that changes to Synergy won't fix it.

Jereme Guenther

I think it is more inherent to the operating system, in my case windows 10.  However, this has happened on windows as far back as I can remember.  Many games have a "full screen" mode which adjusts the local computers screen resolution and maximizes itself.  This is such a common feature and issue that I am surprised you have never seen it.  You can also replicate it by simply having a dual screen setup with another application on the second monitor, give that other application focus and the entire machine will go through a brief spasm as the game you were playing is minimized and the screen resolution reset back to what was configured on that monitor.

I have never played a Steam game, however it happens on every version of Empire Earth, or Age of Empires, or Guild Wars as long as you are playing those games in full screen mode.

In it's current configuration, other applications do not seem to lose focus when synergy switches the mouse between screens.  So I am not sure why these full screen applications would be affected in this way, but it sure is annoying.

You could make the argument that since a dual screen setup also functions in this way that synergy is just more closely replicating a true one system environment.  However, there are so many other things synergy cannot do well, like screen capture or process transfer (and I am just fine without those features), that it is not really a one system environment.  I love being able to use multiple computers individually with one keyboard and mouse, so to me it seems like this is a bug, or desired fix.

So I found a game that exhibits the behavior you have @Jereme Guenther and based on how this game is working and the fact that it does the same thing in a mult-monitor setup (without Synergy)   The game is purposefully minimizing when it loses focus of the mouse cursor.  Not sure if this is something that Synergy would be able to workaround though.

So the question is, when Synergy switches screens, does it momentarily "take focus" on the last pixel row of the screen or something?  If that is how it is able to transfer seamlessly to the next machine then I would bet there isn't a way to "fix" this.

Jereme Guenther

I would agree @DJKouza, that is a possibility, it is very hard to know for sure without being a developer of Synergy.  Considering both instances are running as background services though, it seems that it should be possible.

For a little bit of clarity, this does not happen with the application loses the focus of the mouse.  That statement would indicate that as soon as the mouse was moved off of the application the symptom would manifest.  It is when the application completely loses focus by actually clicking on another application.

My former statement still feels valid, and I hope this at least gets a review from Synergy.  My former statement being that considering synergy typically leaves an application with focus on the computer it is leaving it sure feels like this is a glitch that could be worked through.

• 3 years later...
BlindRain

What would be nice is if while in Game and either mouse button is clicked  to prevent the Synergy from taking focus and moving Screens thats where my issues is with Guild Wars 2  I can't run properly in game.