Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

All the Complaints about Synergy

Mark Robertson
From weeks of watching this forum, it seems like alot of people are having problems with Synergy BUT no-one is getting any answers! I mean, clients purchase Synergy & where is the backup? Doesn't seem to exist does it? New versions continue to fail. ?Dodgy software/code. I have never been able to connect any PC's with it, ever! Yeah, they'll say it's because every PC is different but Windows works on virtually ALL PC's. I know it's only $12 to purchase but I think we are entitled to some backup NOT just being ignored. Time maybe to ask for money back AND to let out a warning on the net that this software is poorly developed. It's promoted as being a breakthrough but it just causes a massive waste of time in trying to get it working.Everyone out there who has asked a question DESERVES to be answered by a REP from Synergy & worked out why the damn program is worse than toilet paper! Regards
Dominic Maratt
It sounded like a very good solution. I bought the professional version. I spent a lot of time trying to use Synergy between Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu Workstation. Though I was able to connect intermittently and use one keyboard and mouse, the connectivity is not robust. The mouse freezes periodically. CPU utilization is also very high. Trying to use it has resulted in many wasted hours. I have uninstalled it from all computers.
  • 1 month later...
ThanklessJob
I think I`m done with Synergy. I may attempt to reinstall down the line to see if it has improved but the truth is they will NOT provide customer support unless we PAY for it. That`s the catch. They first provide their software for free. They realize the money-making potential and decide to charge a fee of $10. They then see how buggy the software is and are bombarded by support requests. They know that when people pay for software, they feel entitled to some sort of customer service. They come up with the idea of taking advantage of the fact the software is practically unusable without support guidance, so they charge for customer support, which explains why none of our support questions are answered here by any of the staff. This forum is purely user driven. I know it`s a business and one has to survive. I also know that I have no problem supporting quality software with my hard-earned dollars. However, I will not pay for something as basic as customer support. If they can iron out the flaws, I`d happily pay much more for QUALITY software that meets my needs but I refuse to pay a single cent for support. Thanks, but no thanks.
ThanklessJob
Oh, by the way....I am now using Share Mouse; a new freeware, cross-platform, keyboard and mouse sharing solution. It has bugs of its own but is waaaaaaaay more reliable than Synergy and most of the annoyances I`ve encountered are fixable via the software`s settings. The only issues I`m having with that software now is I am using the Beta version (at least it`s what they recommend for Windows 10 users for now) and it has a habit of constantly asking me to confirm the location of one of my monitors. To be fair, I have 5 monitors and 4 different desktops; 3 monitors displaying the same extended desktop connected to the same Windows 10 Pro computer, 1 iMac running Yosemite, 1 Windows 8.1 Pro computer with its own monitor, and 1 Windows XP Pro machine without its own monitor but connected on a second input source located on a monitor connected to my Windows 10 machine. Whew! I know, but my set-up is not nearly as complicated as others`on here and elsewhere that I`ve read about. At one point Synergy was working as good as Share Mouse is currently working on my systems but then it suddenly went kerplunk and that was one kerplunk too many. If only Share Mouse would quit asking for monitor location confirmation, it would be the perfect keyboard-mouse sharing software solution. After trying out and working with various programs including Mouse Without Borders, Synergy, and Share Mouse, I`ve found that they all share common bugs and keyboard-mouse sharing software technology is still in its development stages. My advice...if you`ve found your way around a piece of software and it`s mostly working reliably for you...stick with it. I`ve only tried those three when I`ve had free time but it was during the course of a year. Mouse Without Borders was the first and most reliable out of the three but I wanted to include my iMac and that`s when Synergy came along. Synergy has proven to be quite a bitch to work with and that`s when Share Mouse suddenly came to the rescue. When Synergy worked, it was the most hassle-free solution out of the three. I just set it and forget it, it seemed for awhile. However, when it doesn`t work, it`s just as consistent in that the damn thing refuses to work and you are perplexed because it was working beautifully for two weeks nonstop. So you drag an armload of old keyboards and mice out of storage and connect them to each computer and you mumble to yourself, "this is only temporary." Sigh.
Jeff DeMaagd
I didn't find any resources to help me diagnose the problem. I'm not a person that needs human support. Put the information in a knowledge base and I'm good. I won't pay the extra $19 for the likely answer that they can't fix it. So I filed a complaint with PayPal, hopefully it goes through. Mouse without Borders seems to be Windows only. My Mac says Sharemouse download for Mac is corrupt. Even when re-downloaded. Hopefully I can find something, because I like the idea as it is, and I like it when it works, for 3-5 minutes at a time.
  • 8 months later...
Irene Daniel
I am rather disappointed in this software and the lack of visible support. I have paid money for this and have not been able to get it work. I have scoured the forums to no avail. I appreciate people's posts - no beef there. I am aghast that there doesn't seem to be much input from the people who take the money! The site is not user-friendly when it comes to support or help and the people behind the software seem non-existent. So far I have not been able to get this to work at all! The client simply says WARNING: failed to connect to server: Connection was refused The server says everything is fine. After spending way too much time trying to figure it out, I don't know where to go from here, I really don't. I think the OP is right. It's time to put out some warnings on the net that this is not a piece of software you want to pay for. Not a happy bunny!! :(
  • 1 year later...

So it's been over a week now. I filles it the form to get my money and back and haven't heard anything from you. Don't worry all the devs in my team know about how 'seamless' your software is - shameful. It's not about $29 it's about not being ripped off. I do enough debugging at work I don't want to do it for your silly software with great logging like connection refused or timed out.

• 3 months later...