Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

There was a problem connecting to the background service

I have 3 systems, 2-Windows 10 and 1 MAC 10.13.3, all at the latest version running Synergy 2.0.5. I put the computers to sleep every night and the following day I spend time restarting services because I'm constantly getting "There was a problem connecting to the background service. Retry." I live with a keyboard and mouse connected to the 3 machines so right now I might as well not even use Synergy if I have to have a keyboard and mouse connected to each machine. There is no rhyme or reason. Sometimes it works, usually after 2 service restarts, and sometimes I just give up completely like tonight. Should it really be this difficult for software to work?

I have similar problems at the moment. With synergy 2.0.4 I could just restart the service on the linux machine to get it working again. But now nothing works. The synergy-core server seems to be restarted constantly with some error "error: Couldn't send message to node 68221: no route to node". The "fixes" on the reconnection code for 2.0.5 seem to have made it worse after some off time.

Just for completeness: I am using a MacOSX laptop as the server and a debian server as a client. Yesterday I had to remove the linux server from the cluster, as the mouse pointer got stuck in the lower left corner on the Mac and no restart of any of the servers was able to clean this up. Today, after leaving the linux server up for the night and my Mac in standby mode, after login into the systems nothing works any more. It is frustrating!

Guest Steve Williams

There are some stability fixes in the next version of Synergy that should help your background service problems. This is due out very soon, so keep an eye out for the update.  

Guest Steve Williams
2 hours ago, klm46 said:

also the proxy-connecting-issues will be resolved in 2.06? Offline-Modus?

Neither of these will be in the next release, unfortunately. 

ok. At the middle of january you posted that the proxy-issue will be resolved "within a few weeks". what about that?

Edited by klm46
6 hours ago, Steve Williams said:

There are some stability fixes in the next version of Synergy that should help your background service problems. This is due out very soon, so keep an eye out for the update.  

Thanks Steve.

2 hours ago, klm46 said:

ok. At the middle of january you posted that the proxy-issue will be resolved "within a few weeks". what about that?

Later they changed the estimation a bit: from “a few weeks” to “a few months”.

2 hours ago, klm46 said:

really? where to find?

They just started saying that the new release was due in 6 months around this time:

I might be wrong, but as far as I know there wasn't an official announcement about the deadline being pushed back, it just was.

Guest Steve Williams
On 23/02/2018 at 9:17 AM, klm46 said:

No, this is not the post i meant. Look here. At January 31th, @Nick Bolton wrote, the Prio of these features changed, and he named "weeks"

Unfortunately, priorities do change over time and we can only do so much in a given period. We know and appreciate proxy support is important to some people, in developing Synergy we are trying to address issues that affect many people, which is why this has not been released yet. 

We will be tackling this soon, and it remains near the top of our backlog, but we are not ready yet. 

Sorry @Steve Williams but this is an post with zero validity.

How stupid is the idea that you need an active Internet-connection for such an software like synergy. Where the usecase ist very often to control desktops with special funktions like monitoring-dashboards, flight-control - Managementhosts in computer-centers and so on... Can you tell me, how you got to this idea?

And as it sounds from you guys you won't bring back the offline-config?!

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
1 hour ago, klm46 said:

monitoring-dashboards, flight-control - Managementhosts in computer-centers

Are you using Synergy in one of these scenarios?

Hi @Nick Bolton - yes I got a monitoring - linuxdesktop who's main task is to show some grafana-dashboards. At the datacenter i also have 2 KVM-Controlling-hosts without active Internet-connection which i used to control with synergy from my notebook...

On 2/22/2018 at 1:19 PM, klm46 said:

Just as an additional notice. With 2.0.5 synergy got almost completely useless for me. It is loosing the connection to the other side all the time. I don't seem to get an undisturbed usage for more than 10 minutes at a time. The connection of the screens gets disturbed specifically when one changes between the two systems fast (e.g. when trying to hit something near the edge of where the screens are connected via synergy).

I am really hoping now for the next version and I hope you really concentrate on stabilizing the system. Having to restart a service all the time, and sometimes remove and add again a system is really bad quality. Please also keep edge cases like sleep, hibernate, etc. in your mind. The old synergy version had it's quirks, but it worked rock solid.

Thanks for your time.

• 11 months later...
On 2018/2/22 at 4:50 PM, Jerriman said:

Removing the node from the cluster and reactivating it fixed the problem for now. But this has to be fixed as soon as possible, please!

How to remove the node?