Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Clipboar doesn't work between Linux and Windows

Mikhail Borisenko
It's hard to tell when it started, but I'm having permanent issues with clip buffer when copying something on Linux (Centos7) and trying to paste on my Windows machine (Win7, Synergy host). Sometimes it works after I restart either Synergy server or client, sometimes doesn't. Windows->Linux transfer seems to be working fine. Has anybody else had a similar problem? Any suggestions?
Mikhail Borisenko
Actually I've found a similar complaint viewtopic.php?f=8&t=401 It looks like the same issue. And I also have the Linux Synergy client dying randomly, even had to create a shell script to restart it (the process stays in the list but the client stops working, so you need to kill the old process and start a new one). Most of the issues started occurring in 1.7.3, I'm even thinking of rolling back to the previous especially after having those woes with ssh which I had to disable in the end.
  • 2 weeks later...
Thomas Androy
[quote="Mikhail Borisenko"]And I also have the Linux Synergy client dying randomly, even had to create a shell script to restart it (the process stays in the list but the client stops working, so you need to kill the old process and start a new one). Most of the issues started occurring in 1.7.3, I'm even thinking of rolling back to the previous especially after having those woes with ssh which I had to disable in the end.[/quote] I've been having the same random crashing and lack of clipboard functionality since 1.7.3. Windows 7 server, Ubuntu 13.10 client.
Marcelo Henrique Cerri
I´m having the same issues that Mikhail described. The process dies with this message: synergyc: /build/synergy/src/synergy-1.7.3-stable/src/lib/platform/XWindowsClipboard.cpp:317: virtual bool XWindowsClipboard::open(IClipboard::Time) const: Assertion `!m_open' failed.
Hello Mikhail and Marcelo, There are a large number of open and closed bugs for clipboard issues. Synergy is working on improving clipboard handling, and there is an issue having to do with the maximum chunk size in the SSL which Synergy is now implementing. There were some issues introduced in 1.7.3 but some issues are long-standing and have more to do with the OSes involved and other apps which might use the clipboard. There might be solutions to your issues. I hope you will post more info, for t-shooting: - exact behavior when something crashes/doesn't work - does Synergy continue working otherwise? - minimum steps to make Synergy work again if it closes/crashes/stops - Synbergy log content for each system involved, with logging level set to at least Debug - SSL enabled? - Synergy in "elevated" mode? - size of content copied (exact size in bytes, if possible) - where copied (application, OS, is it a Synergy server or client)? - where pasted? - problem occurs one-way, or both-ways? - if successful in copy-pasting opposite way, does copy-paste the original way then work? - intermittent? - copying plain-text? - are any non-English characters involved? - are any clipboard managers such as Glipper, Glippy, or Klipper running?
Mikhail Borisenko
Thank you for the response Brian, [quote]- exact behavior when something crashes/doesn't work[/quote] The Linux (Centos 7) client stops working - as I described, the 'synergyc' process is in the list but the cursor just doesn't enter the screen, control gets lost. [quote]- does Synergy continue working otherwise?[/quote] On Windows 7 host and another Windows 7 client, yes it does [quote]- Synbergy log content for each system involved, with logging level set to at least Debug[/quote] For crashes/freezes, it's going to take me a while because now I reverted to 1.7.1 on the Linux machine and it stopped freezing (by freezing I mean the state of unresponsiveness on Linux machine described above). [quote]- SSL enabled?[/quote] No. To be honest, I had to disable SSH straight after upgrading to 1.7.3 due to constant freezes and glitches on [b]all[/b] the machines. [quote]- Synergy in "elevated" mode?[/quote] Could you explain what does that mean exactly? [quote]- size of content copied (exact size in bytes, if possible)[/quote] Now I have Linux client 1.7.1, Windows 7 host 1.7.3 and Windows 7 client 1.7.3. Clipboard transfer doesn't work at all between Win and Linux. I'm thinking of reverting to 1.7.1 on the Win7 host because it used to work better before the upgrade. The size is any - even one symbol isn't copied. [quote]- where copied (application, OS, is it a Synergy server or client)? - where pasted? - problem occurs one-way, or both-ways?[/quote] When on 1.7.3 Linux client, the transfer worked from Win->Linux, but not from Linux->Win Now with 1.7.1 Linux client, it doesn't work both ways. [quote]- copying plain-text? - are any non-English characters involved?[/quote] Plain text and a single English character fails to copy/paste.
Thanks Mikhail for this useful detail! "Elevated" mode: in Windows running Synergy as Administrator, or in Linux/OS X running Synergy as root. If you're willing to try the latest Synergy 1.7.4 nightly build (very stable, I've heard) and again give detailed answers to the questions, that could give a lot of insight which might lead to a better 1.7.4 final version. http://synergy-project.org/nightly
Stuart Smith
Using 1.7.4 here on three machines. The random dropping of connectivity has gotten less since 1.7.3 but I have very odd clipboard functionality. Host (center): Desktop PC, Kubuntu 15.04 64bit, dual monitors. Left client: Dell M6800 laptop, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, internal monitor plus one external. Right client: Dell E5430 laptop, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, dual external monitors. I am not using SSL but I am using "elevate mode" on all 3 computers. From my left client: copy from results in no paste-able clipboard contents to the host or other client. Log says "12 bytes copied" - which I assume is equal to nothing. Attempting to paste to the host results and locked keyboard and mouse (cursor moves only) functionality for several seconds (like 20) and then the keyboard/mouse buffer dumps (anything I typed during the freeze is entered). After this, Synergy must be re-started to resume connectivity. From the host, I can paste to the either client with no apparent issues. I can paste from the right client to the host. EDIT: I need the functionality so I went back to 1.6.3
  • 1 month later...
@Stuart Smith, using Elevated Mode can cause issues with copy/paste. What is the reason you are using it on the 3 systems? Do you have the issue if you turn off Elevated Mode on all 3?