Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Merge client and server

Elliott H. Liggett

Elliott H. Liggett
Here's an idea: Merge the client and server backends. Allow any computer with the mouse and keyboard moving to be the server. Rational: [list] [*]Simpler configuration -- just arrange the screens, type in the ip addresses, and don't worry about which computer is the server[/*:m] [*]More Dynamic -- Switch between laptop control and desktop keyboard with ease, don't worry about which is hooked to which computer[/*:m] [*]Potentially easier development -- use only one configuration file format, one UI, and one backend. [/*:m][/list:u]
TheMartyJoy
While it would have it's pluses I think it may add some negatives as well. Say I remote into a machine using VNC and move the mouse, would you want it to move the mouse on the pc your using? Could be a setting possibly, still can imagine some odd cases where it may cause issues... move mouse to another pc and one stops responding or fails to pass to original screen so other pc is still only sending inputs to remote and can't get on that pc until you kill or reboot, etc. I do see some cases where it would be good but I'll be honest I was using synergy since forever and I remember being able to specify some weird things like how much of the side of the screen is used to go to one pc or another... like you could say if the mouse is in the top half of the screen go here elsewise go there. Pretty sure you may still be able to do it if you modify the config file manually but setting up Synergy has gotten WAY easier over the years.
Jan Peterson
[quote="TheMartyJoy"]... I remember being able to specify some weird things like how much of the side of the screen is used to go to one pc or another... like you could say if the mouse is in the top half of the screen go here elsewise go there.[/quote] Looks like this functionality is in the "synergy2" project, but not Synergy. There are so many versions/variants of Synergy out there that I could be totally wrong on this. Anyone have proof that this is the case?
Jan Peterson
Actually, the functionality I described [b]does[/b] appear to be in Synergy. Sure wish there was some documentation of the config file format.
borisattva
for what its worth, i'd like to +1 this idea of bi-directional control. it would mimic already established remote control access like teamview and logmein. i used to have my work laptop be a server both at home and at work, controlling secondary computers, but once i upgraded my home desktops mouse and keyboard i would prefer to use them to control my work laptop while at home, while still maintaining the laptops server attribute while plugged in at the office.
  • 4 months later...
+1! And I would like to point out another advantage: Less network pollution. In synergy's current state, the role of keyboard/mouse server and client is fixed to coincide with the role of network server / client, which is unfortunate in setups where the "server" is a moving computer and the "client" a fixed part of a network, because synergy then constantly floods that network with connection attempts from the client. It would be really great to split the roles, have some kind of listening client, or combine both into one, as suggested by the original poster. In the latter case, it would be sufficient for every installation of synergy to know of potential "peers", which could then be contacted on boot/login/network change. That would mean a lot less traffic but should still lead to robust connectivity.