Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy stops when screen is locked

Jeffrey Parker
I was using Synergy 1.6 for quite a while without issues. A couple days ago I upgraded to 1.7.3 and since then I have noticed on my CentOS 7 client Synergy is stopping any time I lock the screen. 1.6 did not do this. I also have it crash daily which 1.6 had some problems maybe once per month and needed to be restarted. I can work around this but it is very annoying and does slow down my work a little. All of the problems appear to be on the CentOS 7 system but I do not have another client to confirm.
Kenneth Inoue
I just want to add that something similar is happening to me as well. Server is OSX 10.9.5 client is Win7 x64 both are running synergy 1.7.3. Once I unlock the machine everything seems to start working again. But I can't get passed locked screen without an actual keyboard to login. I can't even get the mouse to move to the windows machine to force a restart. I do not have any problems logging into the machine when it starts up or if I log out. The problem only seems to manifest when the screen is locked.
Jeffrey Parker
I had it work once when the screen was locked on the client system today, but in every other case it has not worked and I have to login to the client with the keyboard and mouse plugged into it, then start the Synergy client before I can use it but it seems like every time I try to move over to the CentOS 7 client I have to start Synergy again.
jeremiah lange
I also have a similar issue. I have 2 win 8.1 machines. When the clien is on the lock screen, synergy does function properly, sometimes, the mouse and keyboard actions to not register at all, other times, the mouse will move to the second screen, but mouse actions do not register but keyboard will. On rare occasion, it will work properly with both registering (most commonly after rebooting my client machine). This is obviously an issue, because i have to keep a second kb/mouse right next to my primary kb/mouse so I can unlock the client (which partially defeats the purpose of running synergy to begin with). When I look at the log, it shows the enter/leaving screen as expected, it just as if the button actions are not accepted by the client. In win 8.1, after unlocking the screen on either, there is a 3-5 second delay before I can move to the client screen. This has happened on windows 8.1 for as long as I can remember (which is going back quite a while). Currently on 1.7.3 Here is the debug log for coming out of screen lock, unable to roam to second screen for first 3-5 seconds: NOTE: disconnecting client "hq-ncb-24" NOTE: client "hq-ncb-24" has disconnected NOTE: stopped server WARNING: detected application not running, pid=20964 INFO: backing off, wait=2s, failures=1 INFO: starting new process activeDesktop:Default ERROR: could not get session id for process id 16768 INFO: starting new process INFO: drag and drop enabled NOTE: started server, waiting for clients INFO: watchdog status: ok NOTE: accepted client connection INFO: accepted secure socket NOTE: client "hq-ncb-24" has connected I realize this may be 2 separate issues, but since they both have to do with lock screens and win 8.1, I thought it was important to mention it together.
Jeffrey Parker
I ran a test and turned logging up to DEBUG2, below are the last several lines. Does not look like there is anything useful there to mDEBUG1: request selection=CLIPBOARD (447), target=TARGETS (395), window=1a00004 DEBUG1: request selection=CLIPBOARD (447), target=text/plain;charset=ISO-10646-UCS-2 (546), window=1a00004 DEBUG1: request failed DEBUG1: request failed DEBUG1: request failed DEBUG1: request failed DEBUG1: can't get data for selection target image/bmp (544) DEBUG1: can't get data for selection target TARGETS (395) DEBUG1: selection doesn't support TARGETS DEBUG1: can't get data for selection target image/bmp (544) DEBUG1: can't get data for selection target image/bmp (544) DEBUG1: no data for target image/bmp (544) DEBUG2: can't read property 537 on window 0x01a00004 DEBUG1: no data for target image/bmp (544) DEBUG1: no data for target image/bmp (544) DEBUG: available targets: STRING (31) DEBUG2: read property 491 on window 0x01a00004: bytes=0 DEBUG2: can't read property 537 on window 0x01a00004 DEBUG1: request selection=PRIMARY (1), target=text/plain;charset=UTF-8 (545), window=1a00004 DEBUG1: request selection=PRIMARY (1), target=text/plain;charset=UTF-8 (545), window=1a00004 DEBUG1: request selection=PRIMARY (1), target=text/plain;charset=UTF-8 (545), window=1a00004 DEBUG1: request selection=CLIPBOARD (447), target=text/html (543), window=1a00004 DEBUG1: target text/plain;charset=ISO-10646-UCS-2 (546) DEBUG1: got data, 0 bytes DEBUG1: request succeeded DEBUG: added format 1 for target image/bmp (544) (0 bytes) DEBUG1: request selection=PRIMARY (1), target=text/plain;charset=UTF-8 (545), window=1a00004 DEBUG1: request failed DEBUG1: can't get data for selection target text/html (543) DEBUG2: msg from server: CINN DEBUG2: readf(%2i%2i%4i%2i) DEBUG2: readf: read 2 byte integer: 1919 (0x77f) DEBUG2: readf: read 2 byte integer: 589 (0x24d) DEBUG2: readf: read 4 byte integer: 37 (0x25) DEBUG2: readf: read 2 byte integer: 8192 (0x2000) DEBUG1: recv enter, 1919,589 37 2000 INFO: entering screen DEBUG1: no data for target text/html (543)
I'm having a similar issue, but the issue is consistently reproducible. I'm running a Windows 8.1 server and an Ubuntu 14.04 client, both on Synergy Pro with SSL encryption version 1.7.3. Whenever I lock my windows 8.1 server, the ubuntu client will have issue connecting. I'm not sure if windows 8.1 somehow disables networking in lock screen...doesn't seem to make sense. I copied the client log from when I lock the server side. NOTE: disconnected from server NOTE: connecting to '10.40.45.70': 10.40.45.70:24800 WARNING: failed to connect to server: Connection refused NOTE: connecting to '10.40.45.70': 10.40.45.70:24800 WARNING: failed to connect to server: Connection refused NOTE: connecting to '10.40.45.70': 10.40.45.70:24800 ERROR: passive ssl error limit exceeded: 100001 ERROR: failed to connect secure socket NOTE: disconnected from server NOTE: stopped client
  • 4 weeks later...
Jeffrey Parker
The issues seem to disappear when running synergy on command line instead of running the GUI. I will continue running like this and see if I get any of the crashes or random stops that I saw before but so far it is working without issues.