Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Better Multi-Screen Support

Bradyn Claycomb

Bradyn Claycomb

As I am sure many Synergy users are aware (because we're all multitaskers) multi-screen support is nonexistent in synergy.

If I have 3 screens on my main PC, I should be able to reach my secondary or other PC either from ANY screen or from a specific screen. (In my scenario, my secondary is directly underneath my right screen. And I can only access the second PC from the leftmost screen. WHYYY??? the left screen isn't even set as my default monitor. If I unplug the left monitor, then I have 2 screens, and I still can only access the other PC from the left (center) screen.

I (and im sure many other folks) would seriously appreciate the ability to arrange the secondary computers wherever they want in relation to how many screens they have. And for synergy to give them the option to choose what screen it's adjacent to.

• Like 1
GranPaSmurf

I'm not sure what you are looking for.

This is the multiscreen configuration I'm usually using, though sometimes I try something else for a little adventure. The only thing Synergy needs is for some sides to touch. My 'main' computer, the one I typing on right now, is Petersen. It is a Linux, Kubuntu 17.10 box. The server is the one adjacent to the left, Jangalang. It is a Win10 desktop set up with a lighted gaming keyboard. Above left is a laptop, Win10 while upper right is Joiner-P0C. It's an old Win 7 (32 bit). The Linux, Petersen, is a dual monitor with a larger main screen and smaller one situated off the right side.

The reason I have the upper row offset right now is that I only want my larger monitor to access Joiner-PC-!. 'Way back when', to accomplish something like this we had to get into the configuration file and enter percentages to define the desired active edges. It took a lot of fiddling around for me to accomplish a 'dead zone' like I have now for my right monitor, the secondary off the Kubuntu dual screen. The function is exactly as it looks in this image. Synergy sees Petersen as having a monitor that is about 38" across, reading both monitors of the dual setup. I've even set up the upper row sorta star-like, with just the corners touching. It worked fine.

Now, in version 2.07, we even have the ability to disable Synergy on any of those computers by 'enable/disable' Synergy from the new tray icon.

Maybe, if you were to do a screenshot of what Synergy is showing you right now, I could better comprehend where you want to get to with a multi-screen setup.

5aa78979c0285_SynergyUI.png.c3e4d56d3ce26c29cd719301ef3f6661.png

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

First, thanks for developing Synergy. It has been very useful to me and I appreciate the low cost and one-time payment.

That being said, I'm also having some multi-monitor issues. I have 4 monitors on my main PC and would like to restrict the passage to the second PC to just through the bottom of one of those monitors. Instead, the synergy UI only shows one monitor for the main PC. The cursor is lost when I go off the bottom of any of the main PC's monitors.

I remember having control like this in a previous version of Synergy... I might have to find a way to get back to that, or even just buy another monitor and monitor mount for my main PC to show what I currently have on the second PC.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Spiritoflife

I've encountered another flaw that could be improved upon.

When monitors are setup in this orientation:

display.PNG.6a4387fe5f0c4aca4315d25da6e27ff6.PNG

and setup with synergy with this orientation

synergy.PNG.c2e58a07fbf0ae2d97f9fce218b3556b.PNG

The only way to access the computer "Matt-X" is to drag your mouse over to display #2 and go directly up. Display "Matt-X" can not be accessed from screen 1 at all, which is what I would like.

• Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

This is certainly something we want to achieve! I've added this to the public roadmap.

Screen Positioning

When you have 2 monitors for one of your computers which are side by side and the same size, everything works great! This is also the case for when each computer only has 1 screen. But what if the screens are different sizes, or for one of your computers the monitors are offset... that's when things get tricky. Right now, Synergy 2 treats all of your monitors as one big display, which causes issues when they're in unconventional positions relative to each other. Our solution to this is to show all monitors on the config screen, allowing you to position your screens exactly where you need them.

• 4 weeks later...
Bradyn Claycomb
On 4/13/2018 at 2:26 PM, Spiritoflife said:

I've encountered another flaw that could be improved upon.

When monitors are setup in this orientation:

display.PNG.6a4387fe5f0c4aca4315d25da6e27ff6.PNG

and setup with synergy with this orientation

synergy.PNG.c2e58a07fbf0ae2d97f9fce218b3556b.PNG

The only way to access the computer "Matt-X" is to drag your mouse over to display #2 and go directly up. Display "Matt-X" can not be accessed from screen 1 at all, which is what I would like.

This is the EXACT issue I was posting about. glad i'm not the only one!

• 1 month later...
Calder Lewis

I'm super happy that this has been added to the road map now after 3 years from when it was initially recommended.This is one of the most needed features that was missing in the legacy version.

GranPaSmurf

Here's something else to play around with:

Make an arrangement that is like a "U" or a "Y".

The cursor will jump the blank space.

• 2 months later...

The multi monitor setup needs to be something like this. So if there is 4 on the server and 2 on the client that's how it should be. I have bought this software but I can't use in the fashion I would like because of this reason alone. This is what everyone wants. Easy and simple and avoiding a config that is long winded and complicated to configure. 

ID.PNG