Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Invisible cursor on client screen - 2.0.7

Hi everyone,

I have just reinstalled Ubuntu 17.10 for unimportant reasons, and am in the process of rebuilding its functionality and restoring my personal data. Previously I had 2.0.6 working well with my MacBook Pro as server (I prefer its keyboard). There were some issues with screen saver on the Ubuntu machine, but generally it was as good as it has been since version 1. The MacBook tends to be on 24/7, but the Ubuntu machine is shutdown overnight. Synergy was operational immediately on switch on in the morning. However...

Having installed 2.0.7 on the Ubuntu machine, and upgrading the MacBook to match, I now find that the cursor is invisible on the Ubuntu screen. I know the cursor is there, as I can see things light up as it moves around, but there is no cursor showing. Checking the keyboard is tricky, but it seems to work occassionally.

I have run tail -f /var/log/synergy/synergy-core.log on the Ubuntu machine, and sure enough, I see the INFO: entering screen and INFO: leaving screen messages.

Anyone else got this problem?

Anyone got a solution?

Thanks in anticipation
Bob

SOLVED!

The fresh install of Ubuntu 17.10 defaults to wayland as the display server. I have simply selected the "Ubuntu on Xorg" option at the login screen and hey presto Synergy is working again. Thanks to It's FOSS for the pointer to this issue. https://itsfoss.com/switch-xorg-wayland/

Still looking forward to being able to configure Synergy properly to work with my three screen setup, i.e. allow the server in the middle to see the client's two screens on each side. Worked well on version 1.

Bob

• Thanks 1
GranPaSmurf

What happens when you arrange the screens the way you want them?

I use Kubuntu 17.10 with 2 Win10 and an old Win7. I've rearranged them just about every way possible and never seen Synergy have any trouble doing it.

Right now I have 4 machines, a row of 2 stacked on another row of 2.

26 minutes ago, GranPaSmurf said:

What happens when you arrange the screens the way you want them?

I use Kubuntu 17.10 with 2 Win10 and an old Win7. I've rearranged them just about every way possible and never seen Synergy have any trouble doing it.

Right now I have 4 machines, a row of 2 stacked on another row of 2.

The problem I have is that the outer screens are both attached to the one machine. I have 3 screens but only 2 computers. In the old days I had two instances of synergy client running on that dual headed machine, one positioned to the left and the other positioned to the right of the middle screen - which was the server. This meant I could swing the mouse round either way.  I am hopeful that there will be a way of splitting my scfreens one day, but for now I can only go one way and back again.

GranPaSmurf

Ahh. I understand what you have in mind. When version 2.1 drops, it's supposed to have more configurability. Maybe it will get you where you need to be.

I have a dual monitor Linux right in front of me with one 21' monitor and a 15'. Side by side monitors. This is my main machine. Website updates, graphics, and just mousin' around.

The server, however, is to my left, a Win 10, single 17' monitor and Logitec gaming keyboard.