Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Forward mouse and keyboard via virtual devices

Many users report problems related to incorrect handling of mouse and keyboard, as e.g:

• Inability to type special characters (in combination with AltGr)
  • Some characters don't work even then (I can currently not type ` using a Fedora Server and Windows Client)
  • Some characters don't work depending on target software (e.g. {}@ in VirtualBox and Putty)
  • Difficulties in various games caused by mouse positioning
  • Some games (e.g. Cities Skylines) won't detect clicking the scroll wheel
  • Mouse Button remap required for forward and backward

I would like to suggest an approach, that will in my opinion solve all of this issues:
Grab the USB signal on the server side and forward them to a virtual USB device on the clients' side.

This way, the client's operating system can handle the input events and forward them correctly to software.

Related:

• Thanks 1
  • 4 months later...

I would like to add my support to this idea. Synergy 1.x would only map the simplest of input devices and I had at one point started to use USB/IP [1] as a workaround. I do not seem to be able to find a satisfactory workaround for Synergy 2.

Five button or more mice are fairly ubiquitous now, but the client only seems to support three buttons plus scroll, and the input device on the client does not appear to be configurable in any way. The emerging VR/MR market has more exotic offerings that presumably would need support in some form or other too. I can see that Synergy could steal a march in consolidating these.

By passing the the full capabilities of a server input device to the client, either over an existing protocol such as USB/IP or as a virtual (configurable?) device, users should be able to use them to the fullest. I would very much like to see the input device of the host be presented as if it was physically present on the client and allow the OS drivers to handle the device via Synergy.

[1] http://usbip.sourceforge.net/

• Thanks 1