Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Downloading older versions?

Jolly Roger

Question 1:

There doesn't appear to be any link to the forums on the http://symless.com front page. Can this be fixed please? 

Question 2:

For those of us who need to make changes to the Synergy configuration (which apparently is not supported in version 2 at the moment), where can we download the older versions for each platform? I see no link to those either on the front page. Can this also be fixed?

Jolly Roger

I still haven't heard back from support on this.

Does anyone here know where to download older versions of Synergy? Why is this such a secret?

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
On 4/11/2018 at 2:31 PM, Jolly Roger said:

I still haven't heard back from support on this.

Does anyone here know where to download older versions of Synergy? Why is this such a secret?

Looks like you got a reply last Thursday. Were you happy with the response?

• 4 weeks later...
Bob Mathews

I have the same question, and don't see it answered here. Here's my situation:

• I have 2.0.9 for Windows installed.
  • I don't keep old installers (the .msi) around. I like to keep my downloads folder clean.
  • I have downloaded 2.0.11 and am trying to install it.
  • I get an error saying "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable", and the message below that says to "enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'Synergy_v.2.0.9-stable_b 156-4a1bbebe_x64.msi'...".
  • ::sigh::
  • So I can't continue.

Pretty stupid actually, requiring the old installer to remain around (especially without warning me to do so). Please tell me this isn't so, and there's some anomaly on my machine.

Bob Mathews

Thanks GPS. Your link actually linked to this forum topic (i.e., #5551), and not #4519, but I found my way there. Followed all the instructions and more. Deleted all traces of Synergy or Symless from the registry, which was more than topic 4519 said to do. Rebooted and still get the same message. Exactly. Verified there are no background processes or services running for Synergy.

Any other ideas?

Bob Mathews

Actually there was one more Registry entry that I hadn't found, because when I did the initial Find in regedit, I had the "whole word only" option checked and didn't notice that. When I unchecked that option, it found the entry for the Synergy 2.0.9 installer. Once I deleted that I was able to install 2.0.11 so all is well. All, that is, except for the issue of having to keep the old installer around; I still can't for the life of me figure out the reason for that. I work for a software company and while it's not the main hat I wear, I'm involved in more than a few support issues. I can't imagine our customers being required to keep our old installer around.

Edited by Bob Mathews
clarification
GranPaSmurf

Ouch!

I think there comes a time when you will get a message that says "UPDATE NOW! THIS ONE DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE:" message. Well, they're nicer than me. It may be a little softer. Maybe you can hold off until 2.0,12 arrives. 

I guess I'm a pack-rat. I've got all the msi install files back to before beta 2.0. They wouldn't work anymore, but hey, I haven't run out of disk space yet.

BTW, I'm lazy with the purging of all things Synergy before reinstalling. I use a 3rd party uninstaller, Revo Uninstaller. It usually finds nearly 50 items to delete.

Edited by GranPaSmurf
added Revo
  • 4 years later...
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
On 5/15/2018 at 5:47 PM, Bob Mathews said:

I get an error saying "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable", and the message below that says to "enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'Synergy_v.2.0.9-stable_b 156-4a1bbebe_x64.msi'...".

MSI gets confused easily, so it's probably not your fault. Unfortunately this error happens when the cached .msi file gets deleted (this is stored in Windows temp when you install a program).

When installing, you may see this error because the new version MSI in install mode actually runs the old version MSI in uninstall mode if the registry says the program is already installed... kind of a weird quirk of MSI, but logical if you think about it.

Often the old cached MSI file gets deleted when people are cleaning out their temp files and freeing up disk space... "Why would I need these old MSI files? I already have these programs installed!" Personally I think this is a slight design flaw in the Microsoft Installer System (MSI), but it is what it is.

Solution: Luckily, Microsoft have an MSI troubleshooter which seems to solve most issues around MSI.

See also: How can I reinstall Synergy 1 on Windows, macOS, and Linux?