Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Raspberry Pi headless Synergy 2 server

Hi.

With the added Raspberry Pi support in 2.0.9, has anyone managed to set up a headless Synergy server in Raspbian? If so, how was that accomplished and if not, is there a way this can be done?

• Like 1

Not sure that'd work as X won't initialize without some sort of idea as to video and so forth. That said, if the default values provide a way to init without an actual monitor, you should be good to go. Try installing with keyboard, video, and mouse connected, then down the PI and disconnect above, and if it comes back up, Synergy may work. Have not tried it myself, though.

• 1 year later...

I too would like this feature... I am currently typing this on a crappy mac keyboard because my main machine is installing a new flavor of linux. It would be awesome to just hide a headless pi somewhere and always have synergy around.  

• 3 months later...

Very old post, but I decided to give this a go.

Managed to install Synergy 1.11 with dietpi on a Raspberry pi 3. Set it up as a server and connected two client without much hassle. Disconnected the monitor from the Raspberry pi and rebooted.

Clients were sadly not able to connect as Synergy was unable to start on the pi without a X display.

A workaround would be to keep the pi connected to a monitor input not in use. Maybe a HDMI-VGA adapter would work to initialize the HDMI output from the pi. Not truly headless, but it does the job.  I did however run into some issues with my G502 mouse. Attempted to install Piper and libratbag as a fix, but they do not seem to be supported by dietpi.