Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Stops working after reboot on Fedora 27

I just purchased Synergy because I used the free version years ago. I immediately connected two computers (macOS and Fedora Linux) and used it for about 30 minutes. Those 30 minutes it performed as I had hoped and expected.

I restarted my Linux computer and everything stopped working. The application shows two monitors with scrolling a green bar. Occasionally I get a green MacOS monitor but it doesn't work from either computer. If I say share from either machine it starts scrolling again.

Log: https://synergy-logs.symless.com/c9246e1010d2b9a4c35befeb58ecd159/logs/59548-2018-04-19T01-43-44.log

I've rebooted both computers and signed back in multiple times. But no luck. I put a ticket in with Symless. Seriously, after 30 minutes (maybe less) of use, I run into huge problems like this?

My first impressions are that this is the most DIFFICULT software I have ever used. I have managed usability testing in the past, and would never let a program interface like this exist. What is going on? Where are the options? Where are the words that tell me what is going on? Where are the logs? There is nothing but two monitors scrolling. Where the manual? Why have two animated monitors? What does the green monitor mean? What is the dot on one monitor? Usability is that a user just gets it. But, if the user has problems, it should be easy to understand what to do, and what is going on. There should be advanced user options. Troubleshooting options. How is this interface better than the version 1 interface?

Extremely dissatisfied.

-Jerry

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
2 hours ago, lineber said:

I restarted my Linux computer and everything stopped working.

Hey, really sorry about that. This is a bug that happens sometimes on some Linux distros. The error you're encountering is actually this one:

[ Core    ] [2018-04-19T01:40:38] DEBUG: XOpenDisplay(":0.0")
[ Core    ] No protocol specified
[ Core    ] [2018-04-19T01:40:38] WARNING: primary screen unavailable: unable to open screen
[ Core    ] [2018-04-19T01:40:38] DEBUG: retry in 60 seconds
[ Core    ] [2018-04-19T01:41:38] DEBUG: XOpenDisplay(":0.0")
[ Core    ] [2018-04-19T01:41:38] WARNING: primary screen unavailable: unable to open screen
[ Core    ] [2018-04-19T01:41:38] DEBUG: retry in 60 seconds
[ Core    ] [2018-04-19T01:42:38] DEBUG: XOpenDisplay(":0.0")
[ Core    ] [2018-04-19T01:42:38] WARNING: primary screen unavailable: unable to open screen
[ Core    ] [2018-04-19T01:42:38] DEBUG: retry in 60 seconds
[ Core    ] [2018-04-19T01:43:38] DEBUG: XOpenDisplay(":0.0")
[ Core    ] [2018-04-19T01:43:38] WARNING: primary screen unavailable: unable to open screen

We are urgently working on a fix for this, and I'm so sorry that it's caused such inconvenience.

2 hours ago, lineber said:

What is going on? Where are the options? Where are the words that tell me what is going on? Where are the logs? There is nothing but two monitors scrolling. Where the manual? Why have two animated monitors? What does the green monitor mean? What is the dot on one monitor? 

Unfortunately, a settings screen or any of those other things wouldn't help here since it's a bug in the software (not something a user can fix themselves). The only real fix for this is for us to solve the intermittent XOpenDisplay bug on Linux.

As a workaround, if you want to go back to using the latest version of Synergy 1, you can download it here: https://symless.com/synergy/downloads

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get it working again (today) after a few systemctl restarts. I may do the version 1 thing if this persists or the fixes take too long. Thanks for point the problem out though.

PS: I also apologize for my frustrated tone. I had jumped to the assumption that I purchased garbage, and should have waited to post. Although, I would like to suggest having a manpage in terminal. Even something simple. I think Linux users, more than any other OS want documentation. Also, I want to apologize for posting before searching the forum. I did search the website for documentation, I searched the application for documentation/help, and I ran "man synergy" and got nothing. 

Thanks again,

-Jerry

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
1 hour ago, lineber said:

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get it working again (today) after a few systemctl restarts.

Woohoo! That's great news. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help. Next time, you may want to contact our support team too. https://symless.com/contact/customer-support

1 hour ago, lineber said:

PS: I also apologize for my frustrated tone.

Oh god, don't worry about it. You're in good company here!